The Wife's Opinion of the Natchez Trace

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goodman4

Pressing on
Reaction score
Last week we drove down to Nashville to ride the Natchez Trace since we'd never been on it and it's pretty close. AMA lists it as one of the top 10 motorcycle roads. From the reviews, I knew that it was a slower scenic ride and not a twisty one. I figured it was a good way to test out our tech before our upcoming 4000 mile Montana trip on the new to us this year Goldwing. (I still ride the FJR for all my solo trips)

I was afraid I'd get bored but I thought Tam would like it since I wouldn't be scaring her on the corners and wouldn't be speeding. Honestly, I kind of liked the Trace for a change of pace, though DEFINITELY not exciting and no curves after you get much past Hohenwald TN. It was pretty and very peaceful. A lot of history to enjoy if you're a history buff, but some of the pull-offs seemed a little lame and like someone said "we could put a stop here, let's call it Raccoon Rock overlook".

We thought the history of Meriwether Lewis at his gravesite and the inn where he died was interesting.

P7200762.jpg

And the Pharr Mounds were cool:

P7200773.jpg

So we were getting near Tupelo and Tam says, "I hate to say anything, but are there any twisty roads nearby we could get off onto?" I started laughing because she's not a thrillseeker in ANY way. I'm so happy she likes motorcycles enough to ride with me a lot, but she's never pushed me to ride twistier roads.

We spent the night at Tupelo and drove by Elvis's birthplace before heading out. Not a rabid fan, but you can't overlook his influence on music and pop culture.

P7210779.jpg

You can see his car in the background and it was REALLY hot that morning so we just snapped a pic and left.

So we cut across to Cullman, AL and rode twisties around Lewis Smith lake and then some moderate twisties (65/97/64) up to Fayetteville, TN. Much more my style. Then rode 50 and 129 which I've been on before and these are fun sweepers.

We talked a lot more about her boredom on the Trace. She decided that she wants to be thrilled on the bike, but just a little.
smile.png
There's a narrow margin of fun between bored and scared that I have to find to make it a great ride. And that margin depends on her mood and how much I prep her for it. Learning how your woman ticks 101 never ends, but it's a fun class even after 28 years.

P7210788.jpg

Congrats on having a wonderful time with wifey. Sounds like her tolerance level for excitement is on an upward swing, so you might want to get the FJR ready for some 2-up fun. :)

The Natchez Trace is a very relaxing and pretty ride. It is not an exciting ride. When I ride it I have myself in the mindset to enjoy it for what it is.

I would like to compliment you on your GoldWing and your passenger. That blue color is not a very common one on the 'Wing and a wife that enjoys riding is a wonderful thing.

If you ever do figure out "How your woman ticks" you better not share that info with anyone. Letting that kind of info out will get you killed.

Looks like a nice ride. Like you, we recently decided to obtain a Goldwing, but decided on a 1500 (96SE). Picked it up about 8 weeks ago and have been steadily getting it into road-worthy shape. Not sure if you follow any of the wing forums, but there is a small group meeting up in Hazard KY the end of Sept (8/26-28). You guys should consider come over for the weekend. If interested, send me a PM and I can provide some of the details.

George&Kim Newman

Thanks for the comments, guys. I'm glad I came across positive enough on the review of the trace that people still think it's worth doing. It is, but like Redfish said, you've got to appreciate it for what is.

Not sure if you follow any of the wing forums, but there is a small group meeting up in Hazard KY the end of Sept (8/26-28). You guys should consider come over for the weekend. If interested, send me a PM and I can provide some of the details.
George&Kim Newman
Yes, I do, George and Kim. I saw the Hell for Certain Ride a while back. I like the Hazard area and have rode over there a couple times. There are several good roads I haven't been on yet, though. I probably won't get a weekend free until October after the long trip in Aug/Sept, but I think it sounds like fun. I appreciate the invite.

We did the Trace a few years ago on our cross-continent tour. In a lot of ways it's like the BRP: scenic, lotsa history, and slow. We enjoyed it for what it was, but were also happy to get off and over to NC and the mountains for some more interesting motorcycle roads.

Griff

Welcome to my back yard.......I live about 20 minutes from Lewis' gravesite....and what's wrong with Raccoon Rock Overlook....you can see my house from there!
no.gif

I was afraid I'd get bored but I thought Tam would like it since I wouldn't be scaring her on the corners and wouldn't be speeding. Honestly, I kind of liked the Trace for a change of pace, though DEFINITELY not exciting and no curves after you get much past Hohenwald TN. It was pretty and very peaceful. A lot of history to enjoy if you're a history buff, but some of the pull-offs seemed a little lame and like someone said "we could put a stop here, let's call it Raccoon Rock overlook".

We thought the history of Meriwether Lewis at his gravesite and the inn where he died was interesting.

I moved to Ridgeland (near Jackson) from California two years ago for a job, and the Trace is only a few hundred yards from my house. I have only done the hundred mile or so from here down to Natchez, and maybe another 30 or so miles north. The best part is the section along the Ross Barnett reservoir, right where I live. The rest, well, is IS darn pretty, and the first time I rode here i thought it was just gorgeous, with a few gentle curves along the reservoir and the dense forest all around. But that's just it, that dense forest all around is ALL you will see. You are riding down and most of the time (at least on this section down south) all you see is trees, trees everywhere. Nothing changes, it is just trees and trees and hours and hours of trees. As for the historical sites, they are not the kind of historical sites where you see thing as they were, but rather, empty spots where things used to be. Over here you have the place where such and such saw such and such, and so on. Boring.

You also do not go through any towns, it is literally JUST trees and green fields, and more trees. So, yes, very pretty and relaxing. So relaxing some people call it the " Natchez TRANCE", as you tend to " zone out". Perfect for a short ride, you relax (can't go more than 50 or the park rangers will jump you), and enjoy the greenery. I often do a reservoir tour, 30 miles or so, taking advantage of the best scenery. It is certainly pretty and pristine, but I am not sure if I would call this one of the best rides in the US, not when that list has roads like Big Sur in Ca or the Million Dollar Highway in CO.

I have been told that the northern part is different. but from what you say, maybe not THAT different. Still, for a nice SHORT Sunday ride, it will do. And in the Fall it does get pretty with all the colors.

I