A brief comparison between the Gen II and Gen III YCC-S systems.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcatrophy

Privileged to ride a 2018 FJR1300AS
Reaction score
After a short ride on my new 2014 FJR1300AS (AE in the USA), some city riding and about 50 miles on a local loop I know well, some significant differences in the gear-change between my previous Gen II and my new Gen III have shown themselves to me. For anyone that's interested, here are my first impressions of the gear-change.

Cold idle is lower (not even sure it's above warm idle, only done one cold start when I picked it up from the dealer), so no embarrassing high revs with a slipping clutch when starting off on a cold engine. I always tried to allow my Gen II to warm up before moving off to avoid this, it looks like this is unnecessary on the new. To be confirmed.

Moving from rest is much smoother. My old one wasn't bad (particularly after its clutch soak), but this one is smoooooth, whether in touring or in sport mode. With a gentle throttle, it seems to start to engage the clutch at a lower rpm - I've only just realised this, I'll check on this on my next ride.

The blurb suggests the engine speed is adjusted by the ECU during the change. This is partially true, but the change is still smoother with a little throttle movement as the change is made. A closed throttle during a down-change gives a minor lurch, less than on the previous, but still there. Holding the throttle on during an up-change will give a momentary rise in engine rpm during the change, but not excessive. I've not tried it with a high throttle, I'm still running in! It's certainly less critical on throttle movement.

An added feature is "Stop Mode". If selected, as you come to rest, the bike will change down to first gear. This is not to be taken as an automatic in any real sense, it changes down at a far lower speed than would be useful other than when coming to rest. As best as I could judge, it would wait until the speed was down to 20mph before changing from 5th to 4th, the final change from 2nd to 1st was at about 10mph. This corresponds to an engine speed of a little under 1100rpm, so as soon as tick-over is reached. The down-change was smooth. I found it useful in traffic where you might stop in 2nd and not realise it. The Stop Mode setting is remembered with the engine off.

Finally, the finger flicker gear-change switch is enabled all the time. Excellent. Saves having to add a gizmo to do it at ignition on.

Overall I'm very pleased with the improvement. Now, if only I could sort out the suspension settings to suit me ...

Damn, I would love one. But sadly, I found out from a Yamaha employee in the know that the Gen III AE will never be coming to the US. I'm bummed but, that's life! If anything happens to mine, there will be plenty nice '09's around to be had. :)

Damn, I would love one. But sadly, I found out from a Yamaha employee in the know that the Gen III AE will never be coming to the US. I'm bummed but, that's life! If anything happens to mine, there will be plenty nice '09's around to be had.
smile.png
Here in Chile is worst, the only model is the A. No electronic suspension, no YCC-S...

Damn, I would love one. But sadly, I found out from a Yamaha employee in the know that the Gen III AE will never be coming to the US. I'm bummed but, that's life! If anything happens to mine, there will be plenty nice '09's around to be had. :)
Here in Chile is worst, the only model is the A. No electronic suspension, no YCC-S...
Yes, that's worse alright. I'm still surprised that the AE didn't sell well here. I think it's the best thing since Sliced Bread. :D

Found another possibly useful feature.

I was browsing around the bike, thinking about how to fit my heated vest controller. Took off the gear-change and "Stop" mode switch.

(Click on image for larger view)

​When I came to put it back, I saw a plastic filler that I'd not noticed before.

Found a convenient bolt so I could size the thread:

So, the switch has a 10mm 1.25mm pitch thread. Sounds like a RAM mounting point to me. And, no, it's not mentioned in the Owners Manual.

Ok, a few more observations about the YCC-S differences.

On my first post, I suggested there was no cold fast idle. This isn't true, it has a fast idle just like them all. The difference is that clutch engagement starts only 1 or 2 hundred rpm above idle, whether it's at cold, fast idle or warm, normal idle. So there's none of that embarrassing high speed clutch slipping that occurred with the previous one when the engine was cold.

The down-side to this is that it's more difficult to control the throttle to slip the clutch. I need to do this, I back out of my garage steering hard left, I then engage 1st and do a right-hand U-turn to point the right way to drive off - pictures below show what I mean.
(Click on image for larger view)

I'm finding this tricky at the moment (I've done it about 3 times so far - I must go out more). I'm sure with practice it'll get easier. (And, no, I can't control the speed with the back brake, my right foot remains firmly ready in case I hesitate. It's a confidence thing, I've simply not got enough of it.)

So, normal gentle moves from rest are more civilised. If you go for a faster launch, it seems to deal with that perfectly. I've not yet done a WOT launch (still running in), but so far it feels very natural. Just need to learn to control that clutch slip better ...

I've not yet investigated the behaviour when making tight up-hill hairpins. The Gen II needed good planning. For really slow, tight or steep hairpins, I found it best to slow before the turn until the clutch disengaged, then have the clutch slipping throughout the turn. I've a feeling this won't be necessary because clearly there will be little speed gap between the clutch disengaging as you slow, to engaging as the engine speeds up. On the Gen II, this was enough to leave the bike on its side. I'm not sure I want to test this out yet!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, MC. I'm living vicariously through you and enjoying it very much. Now I'm thinking I might have to pay you a visit soon. :)
Perhaps you could buy one over here, and sneak it back to the US in your hand luggage ;) .

Thanks, MC. I'm living vicariously through you and enjoying it very much. Now I'm thinking I might have to pay you a visit soon. :)
Perhaps you could buy one over here, and sneak it back to the US in your hand luggage ;) .
I wish! But, from what I understand, that can't be done because the bike has to classified and that isn't going to happen. I can ride yours around a bit on my visit though.... :D

I wish! But, from what I understand, that can't be done because the bike has to classified and that isn't going to happen. I can ride yours around a bit on my visit though.... :D
Trouble is, you'd have to leave it behind when you went back. I so hate to see a grown man cry ...

Ok, a bit more info on that slow speed stuff.

Did a cold start U-turn on my drive. Found it almost impossible to hold the clutch slipping, the YCC-S seemed anxious to get the clutch fully engaged. On a normal take-off this would be no problem, but on my U-turn it was nasty. So I ended up moving a bit, then throttle off, foot down, repeat.

When I came back, I tried again with the engine warm. This time it was no problem controlling the clutch slip (albeit at a lower engine rpm than my Gen II), I could make my U-turn in one go with no issue.

So the YCC-S is reluctant to sit with the clutch slipping with the high idle of a cold engine. I'll probably have to warm the bike before moving off when at home, otherwise there's no need. (Or possibly improve my confidence so I can do it at about 15 mph with no clutch slip
uhoh.gif
)

Still don't understand why momayama want's to deprive us yanks. There should at least be some special order program or something. I just don't get it.
fool.gif

PDP the AE for the 0.1% finger flickers :) Time for a fervent write-in campaign to Yamaha USA. You finger-flickers need to get something organized and kick it off.