Rush hour, going 70 in the fast lane, bike dies, I don't...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Burleigh

Reaction score
Just got home, alive. Thank you, Lord....
innocent.gif

Only minutes ago I was flying down the fast lane, a million tons of distracted steel coming up behind me at 70+ MPH, when suddenly someone must've capped a bullet in my '05's head: I've got no throttle, no electrical--nothin'. The bike is completely dead; all I've got is coasting momentum and nowhere to go because on my right is four lanes of thick, fast-moving traffic, and on my left a white stripe, 12 inches of pavement, and a concrete wall.

[i have to get some something to eat before I do anything else, like finish this story (no, I don't need to change my undies; not this time; but figuratively, oh yeah--it's your worst f**kin' nightmare: suddenly becoming a paperweight in the middle of rush-hour freeway traffic
ohno-smiley02.gif
).
Back in a few.... (I have a theory about what happened, and if true, a cautionary tale for us all. If I'd gotten run over, the bike mangled, no one, not even Checkswrecks, would have figured out what happened and why.)]

Last edited by a moderator:
JB Harvey? Tell us the rest of the story! Glad, BTW, that it is YOU that will be telling!

Nothin' makes a feller feel more alive than knowing you are dead :lol:

1) I just hate running out of gas.

2) I just hate accidentally hitting the RUN/STOP switch.

3) China made my ignition key switch.

4) I had to lay it down to prevent an accident.

mj_popcorn_zps4e86dc8f.gif

Nothin' makes a feller feel more alive than knowing you are dead
laugh.png

lol.gif

Is this going to be one of those "cliffhanger" episodes?
OP posts 10:30 pm Pacific time, 'Chuck asks @ 7:00 Eastern time. I'm sure there is going to be 'hang time' until OP posts -- The Rest of The Story.
Paul-Harvey-Rest-Of-The-Story-Logo_zpsb4771795.jpg

Well, since we seem to be having an intermission I'll provide this to help you pass the time:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/159134-ignition-switch-position/

I have no idea whether JB is going to tell us his episode had anything to do with the ignition but if it does I'm going to start thinking we might have an "issue" (although I would have thought that if there was an issue affecting Gen I we would have heard about it by now).

Anyhow, back to the regularly scheduled programming...

Nothin' makes a feller feel more alive than knowing you are dead
laugh.png

Full tank of gas, hands went nowhere near the engine cut-off switch...

I had been without the bike for two weeks while it sat at the shop awaiting diagnosis and then a new radiator. When the bike cut out while riding it home from the dealer, my mind started racing, wondering how a new radiator could cause an engine failure that didn't look like an overheated engine, which would have indicated on the dashboard. Then when I thought back to what happened at the dealer while I was picking up the bike, it dawned on me....

Gotta get to work. I may want to hang in the right lanes on the way to work, just 'cause nothing saps your confidence like a bike that suddenly dies on the freeway. But yes, my theory is related to the cut-off switch, even though I didn't touch it (you sure can't hit it by accident; your thumb won't even reach over there with hand on the throttle).

When I get home tonight I will tell THE REST OF THE STORY.
smile.png
TROTS includes how I managed to get a hole in my radiator, thanks to an after-market part installed near it.

JB

I don't like him any more. I used to think he was a good guy, but this withholding of important information is just annoying!

*** Looks for the "Ignore" button ***

(Just kidding....

But really: you got a story to tell, then TELL IT!!!!)

bleh.gif