Double dumbass

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugnatr

Reaction score
Last Sunday morning I jumped on my 990 for a little ride up to Truckee and back before the temps were in the mid 90's. Rode some fun little twisty sections of old hwy 40 before jumping on I-80 . Nothing like a Sunday morning romp and passing the traffic climbing the hill like turtles until I spot a CHP Expedition a few cars ahead. No problem, just back it down and all is good.

The plan is to exit the freeway at the east end of Donner lake, motor nice and easy along the lake before heading for home. All is cool until I stalled the bike at the stop sign during a right hand turn take off and down it goes. Crap, my first tip over in 20,000 miles on the KTM-dumbass but what's worse is that CHP officer was next to me at the stop. I did a novice tip over next to a LEO. Double dumbass!!!!

He waited for me to get the bike upright and asked if I was ok, I reply yes, just embarrassed over my mistake. He gave a little smile and moved on. I'll be mailing my man card to Bemmerdons this week.

PS The bike looked good until I noticed 3 deep scratches on the engine cover from the brake lever.Someday I may have to get some fancy carbon fiber cover to hide that.

If I was the osssifer I'd a' impounded ya'lls motosickle for doing such a DA thing.. jes sayin'..
flirt.gif

Glad it was a simple no harm, no foul incident. I should look up a stock photo of training wheels.... So, the cop didn't write ya for stunting? :lol:

If you are going to be a dumbass it's critical that you have an audience. The dumber the move the larger and more important the audience should be. Example: Pulling into the driveway at work just before starting time I was going very slow on my V-Max because the driveway was wet and covered by a huge, slippery white turn arrow. None the less Mad Max slid over on its side. The foot peg managed to go into a hole just inches from the edge of the pavement, the engine went WOT causing the motorcycle to spin around the foot peg like a merry go round and ground me up like falling into a milling machine. Of course this was done in front of the cafe window with over a hundred of my fellow coworkers looking on
blushing.gif
I remember making the corner. Next thing I remember was someone asking me what the date was and asking who the president was, to which I replied who the phuck cares. Then the next thing I remember is suddenly coming to in a hospital a couple of hours later and had no idea how I got there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dougie, If everyone on this board inserted a picture of themselves being a double dumbass, this thread would grow to a bizallion pages. It takes a real man to own up to his "downfalls" especially knowing the sure to follow public ridicule acknowledgement that you are in good company!
smile.png

Guess I'm just lucky.Riding in to the local bike shop on the Ducati 848, managed to put my foot on top the only round rock in the parking lot. leg went out bike went down. Guys in the shop where nice enough to run out and pick it up off of me, after they finished laughing. I was able to stick my leg under the bike to save the fairing.

Believe I even got some applause for that one.

There are easier ways to justify carbon fiber add on's....

Had one myself in Sparks after the ride with John from Reno. Pulled up in the parking lot and got off the bike only to find that I was blocking off a cage. I pushed the bike forward a few feet and didn't notice the the side stand was no longer down, and I just could not get her back upright when I finally figured it out. Fortunately, no damage and the Canyon Cages paid for themselves right there. Small tip over for the small audiance.

If you are going to be a dumbass it's critical that you have an audience. The dumber the move the larger and more important the audience should be.
Words of wisdom right there.
Agree, not only was the CHP next to me but it was a busy 4 way stop. I'm sure I had numerous eyes laughing at me. At least I used the proper method to pick up the bike and only make eye contact with the LEO.

Ionbeam's tip over would be hard to beat.

Possibly my best DA moment was a low speed lowside in some gravel as I came around a corner. I was paying too much attention to a young lady in a bikini washing her car in her driveway on the corner and never saw the gravel until it was much too late.
uhoh.gif

I'm recalling a link someone posted here awhile ago. Can't find it. A guy had dropped his bike leaving a parking lot just when the Google Street View camera came by. Now that's an audience.

There's gonna be a HUGE audience for you in Maggie Valley, NC there Doug. Can't wait to see what you do then with the hefty hippo.

BTW, Alan's stunt beats all. Hands down. Congrat's Alan, you WIN!

I have never dropped a motorcycle.

I have never done anything stupid on a motorcycle.

I have never had an embarrassing moment on a motorcycle and I have a bridge for sale if anyone is interested.

How much?
smile.png

" Possibly my best DA moment was a low speed lowside in some gravel as I came around a corner. I was paying too much attention to a young lady in a bikini washing her car in her driveway on the corner and never saw the gravel until it was much too late."
uhoh.gif

The local cops in Syracuse had a shift change right about the time I used to get off work. My dad, a Captain, got off then too and sometimes caught a ride with the area cruiser who was heading out for his shift in our neighborhood. So this day, I was getting a ride in the back seat with these two cops in front. We took a short cut through Thornden Park, right by the public pool.

I wasn't really watching the road, but something the driver said or did, maybe just hitting the brakes, made me look up in time to see some guy heading right at us, way over on our side of the road. English style. I saw him in time to see the side of his head, since he was craning his neck to catch some gal in a nice bikini.

After the crash, the look on that poor S.O.B.'s face when he turned and saw what he'd hit . . . still pretty damn funny, almost 50 years later.