Shopping for a New GPS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flylooper

Reaction score
My thoroughly ancient Garmin 2610 finally gave up the ghost. I love(d) it, mostly because I was used to it and it seemed to truck along no matter the weather, vibration, speed, etc. It was a slow death: the power cord gradually chaffed at both connection points (at the device and at the Powerlet receptacle). Finally, yesterday, the touch screen went kaput!

My girlfriend has a little TomTom which I used on a trip and which I found very easy to work with. So, after looking at the Garmin 660 moto GPS and at the TomTom version of the same, there's quite a price difference yet I don't know if the value is really there since I now know the TomTom is quite user friendly.

Does anyone here use the TomTom "Rider"? Would they recommend them based on their own experience? Are they rugged enough for motos?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an old Tom Tom rider 2. It's pretty basic but definitely very rugged. I don't know if the new version is as tough as the old ones, but mine has been dependable for 50,000 miles, in rain, in sub-freezing temps etc.

I have one and it works well ... It is no frills for the most part ...

I have a LONG review on this board if you search for it ...

I fond the Tyre software easy to use ... I took it on a 2000+ ride into Canada a few months ago and it performed well ...

I would buy it again ...

Get a replacement touch screen and revive the old streetpilot. Look for "digitizers", which is what the touch screen layer is called.

I have a Rider Pro. It is very rugged, has survived on my bike in all weathers (rain, hail, sleet, snow, and once in a blue moon, sunshine). It's also survived being dropped more than once.

If it has the functionality you want, I'd certainly recommend it.

I've even written a utility that converts a Google Maps route to a Tomtom itinerary. Simply create the route you want by dragging on the Google route, than copy the URL from the address bar, paste it into my utility here.

I've used the new TomTom Rider v5 for a few months and like it. It is much cheaper than the competitive Garmin, uses Tyre for routing which I find easy to use, is very rugged (and kind of bulky), waterproof and fairly easy to learn to use.

New touchscreens are around $25 on eBay. They have only recently become available.

My Garmin 765T, which has provided excellent service, is showing signs that it might need replacing. Mainly because I refuse to buy Zumo, I'll be looking hard at the Garmin 25XX series.

I have a 2610 in showroom condition with all extras included in the box as well as a Touratech anti-vibe locing mount and motorcycle cable. Interested???

- Worney

Just out of interest, if you would split them, what would you want for the mount?

I have a 2610 in showroom condition with all extras included in the box as well as a Touratech anti-vibe locing mount and motorcycle cable. Interested???
- Worney
I've got a good mount on the bike now. I'm kind of conflicted on your offer. Newer "look" in GPS's (smaller, 3D, etc..) are enticing but,...

What do you need for the GPS only? PM me and we can talk.