Shouldn't there be clamps ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiwiaudio

Reaction score
Lifted the tank on my Gen III yesterday. Should there be hose clamps around the main line tank to fuel rail ?

Neither end has one and they feel like a barbed fitting to me.

IMG_04621.jpg

Nope. The fuel pipe comes as an assembly with the QD ends pre-installed. The barbs and hose are the new fangled type that doesn't require clamps, in fact you should not put a clamp on that type of barb connection or you can induce leaks

According to my dealers microfiche, and a desk bound rep @ Yamaha corp, this line was not clamped !
I logged a concern with Yamaha and they are looking further into this. My dealers service manager certainly thought this wasn't right, as do I.
Given the extreme temperature under the gas tank, the aging process of rubber, and high pressure fuel, i'm concerned someone will have a problem.
Given also that it feels like a plastic barbed fitting on each end, I'm not sure clamping down with a standard FI hose clamp is the answer either.
Thoughts anyone?

Thoughts anyone?
All of the following:

• Read and listen to Fred W. He told you! He's an authority on these types of questions.
  • I've never heard of a failure, leak, or issue on any FJR, on any forum, including some in excess of 250,000 miles and 13 years of experience.
  • At 168,000 miles I've looked over mine and think its fine as well.
  • Ride more, stress less, follow the advice of your own avatar.

Last edited by a moderator:
same as on cars now....very cool to repair...just buy the correct barb....heat the line and barb in boiling water and pull the old barb out...reheat the line and push the new barb in...it will never leak or come out. The barb will sometimes break when trying to get it out of the coupling due to being glued in there with mung..

Wow, you boys have twisted panties today ?Must listen to Fred !
Did you, by chance, own a Beemer prior to this FJR? Inquiring minds want to know....

Of course you don't have to listen to Fred or anybody else. But with 13 posts to his nearly 15,000 of extremely knowledable posts.....don't be surprised if you're dogpiled.

Thread moved to its new home for 'ya.
wink.png

same as on cars now....very cool to repair...just buy the correct barb....heat the line and barb in boiling water and pull the old barb out...reheat the line and push the new barb in...it will never leak or come out. The barb will sometimes break when trying to get it out of the coupling due to being glued in there with mung..
NOW you post this! Just got done replacing my EVAP vent solenoid on the truck and sliced the line off the barbs.
fool.gif
Replaced with regular fuel line and clamps. Next time be a little quicker with the posts, m'kay?
smile.png

Just checked Fred W members advertised "Location". It said, Southern NH.. Must be short for, southern part Near Hemorrhoid!

Just checked Fred W members advertised "Location". It said, Southern NH.. Must be short for, southern part Near Hemorrhoid!
+1 Give the guy a break. He's knew to the FEEJ, new to The Forum and new to Fred W. Take that into consideration before you jump all over his ass.

+1 Give the guy a break. He's knew to the FEEJ, new to The Forum and new to Fred W. Take that into consideration before you jump all over his ass.
I don't normally do this, and afterwards I'll go right back to being nice.

Pot! Kettle! Black!

I haven't forgotten the jumping all over the ass of Kate Johnson yet!

I would have forgotten, but here you are telling others how to behave!

.... and the waves subside to a calming, much more relaxed state .... and peace returns.

I dont spend much time on this forum true - too much antagonism here !

I felt a duty to question something i didnt feel was right. In this case, there was potential for injury if the part failed. You should all feel this duty too.

So i was wrong about this part. So what, ill be wrong a thousand times again, but no harm done and id do it again.

Ill stick to the other forum where they all seem to have a great deal more respect for one another, and leave you boys to sling ... at one another.

Latest posts