2 brothers carbon fiber exhaust

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekfeejay

Reaction score
I picked up a pair of 2 brothers carbon fiber slip ons and am having second thoughts about putting them on. Their declaimer says they may need to repacked every 3000 miles. Any one got experience? Seems a little extreme to repack more often then we change oil. Is this just for extreme use like track use ? Should I not put them on my high mileage tourer? Can't be worrying about repacking mid trip.

I installed a pair on my 14 at around 300 miles. I currently just passed 4000 miles, and think they sound just as they did when new. I was actually pleasantly surprised how "quiet" they were on my first start-up. I was expecting a lot more sound since these are straight through mufflers. I have the db killer inserts, but will not install them at this time. The nice part is that you can "sneak" out of the hood, but once you hit it, It sounds really good!

Forgot to mention that if I ever feel the need to re-pack them, I will try using some woven fiberglass insulating material that we use at work to wrap around steam tracing to avoid burns. It is about 1 1/2' wide, and about 1/8" or so thick, and very dense. Since the exhaust flow doesn't go through the material, the density shouldn't matter. It just dampens the exhaust note.

If packed too densely, it will change the sound absorption properties FYI....

I don't own that brand, IMO - a muffle should be maintenance free for the life of the product IMO

Would you buy a car with a muffler that needs to be serviced on a regular business... I highly doubt anyone that has owned those mufflers has done a repacking on them, I'm sure its just the manufacturers covering their butts.... who knows, sounds silly to me though..

Last edited by a moderator:
I put my carbon two bros on 40,000 miles ago and never repacked them. To me they still sound the same. The only issue I have is the carbon fiber outer layer is dull and faded and doesn't shine like it used to.

I put my carbon two bros on 40,000 miles ago and never repacked them. To me they still sound the same. The only issue I have is the carbon fiber outer layer is dull and faded and doesn't shine like it used to.
Glad to hear that! I think I will start waxing mine on a regular basis.

I have a set of Leo Vince cans. They were on the bike when I got it (< 10,000 miles on the cans). Initially, the sound was OK with the "quiet" baffles in them but by 35,000 miles or so, the drone was getting to me. Rather than repack, I put the OEM back on the bike. I have no interest in servicing a pair of mufflers every year or two (at significant expense if you buy the packing material from LV)! One of these days, I might put them back on - maybe as an "extra" if and when I ever sell the bike. Unfortunately, there's not much market for high-mileage motorcycles around here. People think they're worn out with 50,000 miles on them - about 2 years for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys! I guess tomorrow I will join the loud crowd. Brought home the 2014ES on Wedensday - today I got the Zumo wired in , the Corbin seat on and the Soupy's lowering links installed. Need 200 more km before the first oil change ( sounds like an ice cream ride for me)Then off to Colorado next week