I guess sometimes is good not to be riding

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always get the heck out from behind any open bed truck when I see all kinds of pipes, tools, buckets or whatever in the back. I've seen mattresses, ladders, sofas, chairs and all sorts of things laying on the phoenix freeways that have come of the back of trucks.

Many moons ago, I was driving behind a trolly bus, in stop-go traffic.

TrolleyBus.jpg

For whatever reason, I moved to the next lane, the car that was behind me moved up into my old position behind the bus.

Then I heard a crash of breaking glass.

At the top of each of the bus's pick-up arms there's a "wiper" consisting of a holder with a pulley wheel that pushes up onto the wire. This holder is a serious piece of metal, perhaps a foot long, diameter tapering from perhaps 2 inches to 5 where it holds the pulley wheel. The crash I heard was when the holder and the pulley wheel detached themselves from the arm, broken the safety chain that is meant to stop this happening, and gone through the windscreen of the following car, landed between driver and passenger. It would have been me if I hadn't switched lanes.

Don't ask me why I moved lanes, there was no driving advantage, but I've always listened to that inner voice. It's saved me on more than one occasion.

(Apologies for the picture, best I could find.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I ride on that stretch of highway on my daily commute. And I am usually hyper aware of calamities that apprear ready to happen in vehicles ahead of me. I keep my distance from 'high potential' vehicles and keep an eye out for escape routes. It always surprises me how little precautions people take when carrying/securing crap in or on their vehicles.

Wife and I were living in a mountain community here in Idaho called Garden Valley.

One beautiful morning I decided to take a ride. While going down the road that lead to Hwy 17 there was a string of cars/trucks heading in the opposite direction.

As I approached a curve, an oncoming P/U truck was carrying two black labs, as he went through the curve one of the untethered black labs fell out of the truck and landed in my lane. That poor dog landed flat on its side just a few feet from me. I hit the brakes as hard as I could, luckily I did not hit the lab, or lay down the motorcycle and the car behind me did not hit me.

The driver of the truck did not have a clue that one his dogs fell out of the truck. The lab got up and started chasing after the truck, talk about a heart pounding experience.

I was pissed and the adrenaline was pumping. My first reaction was to turn around and beat the crap out of the guy. As fate would have it there were too many cars going in his direction and I had no place to turn around.

I am sure all of us agree not to follow any vehicle with things tied to a roof rack of a p/u loaded with loose items, however when one of those is coming in the opposite direction one has no options.