4,000 Mile oil change

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ironfish

Reaction score
How many of you change oil at 4,000 miles using sny oil?
smile.png

Oh Boy!! A new oil thread. Change when you like with what you like. I like Dino oil and cheap filters. YMMV

When I was running full synth oil in my ST1100, I would leave it in there 6-8K miles between changes. My commute is modest so this would mean I would go about a year between oil changes. is that considered "severe" use? I don't know... probably not. Anyway, on my '05 FJR I've got Castrol semi-synth 10w-40 MC oil there and I'll let it go at least 5K miles. At $8.50/qt it was a little easier to swallow than the $12/qt for the full synth. It doesn't really matter... use a good oil and change it once in a while and you're good to go.

Mr. BR

For everything I own, I do oil changes every 5K. That makes it easy to know when it's due.

As for the brand and weight, there are about 100,000 threads that you can reference on the subject. I suggest you read them all. You will then have an appreciation why folks here groan when they see another oil thread.

For everything I own, I do oil changes every 5K. That makes it easy to know when it's due.
This ^^^

I have also converted the FJR maintenance schedule to have each maintenance occur "on the 5's". Makes remembering what is due very easy. There is a copy of my 5K all inclusive maintenance checklist available for download by clicking the little NERD icon in my signature line

Last edited by a moderator:
I change the oil every 3000 miles and the oil filter every 6000 miles from the 2004 when i bought brand new my fjr.

Use Valvoline Durablend 4T 20W-50 Semi Sythetique.

4000 miles??? OMG!! That is engine abuse. I suggest you change it every 250 miles with the most expensive oil you can find. Just to be sure.

As for the brand and weight, there are about 100,000 threads that you can reference on the subject. I suggest you read them all. You will then have an appreciation why folks here groan when they see another oil thread.
^THIS^ too

I'm not going to bash you as you (the OP) are brand new to the forum. There are multiple threads and posts on this here. The search within the site is not all that great, but an outside SE search may be the better answer.

And... don't let the natives scare you, they're really a great bunch here. Stop in often, we need new peeps and views (just beware, oil threads are kind of old-hat-sensitive).

Cheers and welcome to the Forum!

-KJ

Last edited by a moderator:
When you search ... Do so in Google, not the forum and use the following format:

"Search Terms Here site:fjrforum.com"

Type all that without the quotes, for example:

fastest color site:fjrforum.com

Will bring up lots of threads about the Galaxy Blue 2005

You can use that query to specifically search any website or forum.

Latest posts