do-it-yourself 600-mile sercice?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketman0

Reaction score
My 2014 FJR1300A is going to get 600 miles soon. I have been doing all services on my other bikes (DR350, Bandit, Blackbird etc...) including tire changes.

Since this is a new bike, is this something I should do?

I assume it's only engine oil and gear oil change?

What engine oil and gear oil do you guys use?

Thank you very much!

mike

PS: I'll get a service/shop manual soon.

not allowed to ask about oil.

for first changes stick to the standard oil. Then do what you want. I use mobil 1 gear oil in back, 90W. cheaper and tastes fine.

rest of the service is making sure things arent falling off bike. I ignored this and just had to have my steering bearings tightened after 6 moths/7000 miles.

A good place to start is the Periodic Maintenance and Adjustments section of the owners manual which also has the maintenance table by mileage. An additional check you should make is all critical fasteners to be sure they are present and tight.

Thank you all! I do have air compressor, torque wrenches and everything... :)

I think I still have a bottle of Mobil-1 75W90 Synthetic gear oil left over from my 4Runner differential oil change...

Sorry for the oil question :)

'Standard oil' means what? OEM Yamaha oil or just non-synthetic oil? Sorry.

Thanks again!

mike-

Personally, I would probably pay the dealer to do the first service. If there are issues such as too tight oil drain plug and it gets stripped, its on their dime. Don't think there is much they can screw up (if at least marginally competent) and if you have a good shop, they might see something that should be addressed. Bought my bike gently used and have never had it to a dealer other than for recalls.

If everything works, just change the oil, front and back. On my 2nd FJR, and for both, just waited until the dealership changed the tires, which at that point, I asked them to lube the driveshaft.

Just for the drain plug and any "newness" issues the bike may have, I'd let the dealer do the first one. If you do it, please dont use that torque wrench on the oil drain plug, or you'll be on here asking how to fix your stripped pan.

Many come new with an over-tight plug and some have had stripped pans when removing the plug. that's why I'd let the dealer do it 1st.

Thank you all! I do have air compressor, torque wrenches and everything...
Sorry for the oil question :)

'Standard oil' means what? OEM Yamaha oil or just non-synthetic oil? Sorry.

Thanks again!

mike-
I changed the engine oil, oil filter and final drive lube with no troubles-drain plugs didn't seem to be tightened by gorillas at the factory. Used conventional (re:non-synthetic) motorcycle oil.

If you feel comfortable doing the work, go for it.

Just did mine. Oil plug was on pretty tight, but got it off without issues. Replaced with Yamalube the first time. Next time and on will be synthetic.

Drive oil was pretty shiny and the magnetic plug was covered with sludge. I was glad to change it. If I remember correctly, this was the same on my 2008 when I changed it the first time.

Just did mine. Oil plug was on pretty tight, but got it off without issues. Replaced with Yamalube the first time. Next time and on will be synthetic.Drive oil was pretty shiny and the magnetic plug was covered with sludge. I was glad to change it. If I remember correctly, this was the same on my 2008 when I changed it the first time.
what did you use to remove the oil filter? My flat motorcycle oil filter wrench did not fit the FJR because the handle did not clear the side.

What size is the drain plug?

Last edited by a moderator:
what did you use to remove the oil filter? My flat motorcycle oil filter wrench did not fit the FJR because the handle did not clear the side.
Patented Craftsman Bio-wrench...

hands_PNG918.png

What size is the drain plug?
17mm

I've often driven a screwdriver into the side of a filter and used that to start to turn it. Very satisfying.

Here is the filter wrench I have been using on the Honda but it doesn't fit the space of the FJR (unless the lower fairing is removed.) The size fits, just that the clearance doesn't. I'll get a filter cup.

YKLajl9l.jpg

The best oil filter wrench I have found is a set of pliers made for this, shaped much like the Craftsman Bio-wrench above. I would use conventional motorcycle oil for the first oil change. Do not torque the oil drain plug if you're using a new Yamaha crush washer, tighten until it starts to crush and stop. Otherwise, you can use a flat aluminum washer (Honda) and torque to 22-24 ft. lbs. Not sure if Mama Yama revised the torque spec for GenIII or not (previous was 31 and was WRONG!). I'd check the steering head bearing torque any time now.

Thank you RaYzerman19, I do have several different oil filter wrenches but it seems only the cup shape will work for the FJR (if the fairing is not removed) because of lack of clearance to the side? I'll probably need to get a thinner cup shape wrench. The one in the picture is adjustable cup shape and it's too thick to fit in there.

Do you need to remove the lower fairing at all?

8xCE5BMl.jpg