Yamaha Tank Bag

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TommyBwell

Reaction score
I was looking at the Yamaha Performance Touring tank bag and it says it fits 2009-2014. I would love to get one for my 2008. Is there a difference between the 2008 and 2009 tank?

Over on fjrowners.com (cannot cut and paste link here for some reason) there is a post in FJR Central titled 8900 mile shake down ride...

He has the Yamaha tank bag and hates it.

Dan

I bought this one with my 2013

https://www.yamaha-motor.ca/pna/detail.php?sectionId=AC&groupId=19&subGroupId=15&categoryId=64&itemId=894&unitId=4217&unitName=2013%2BFJR1300&unitGroup=MC&unitYear=2013&items_per_page=12&page=2

I had a Marsee prior to this on my Gen 1.

Save your money.

It holds a lot, but their are no dividers. So it becomes a huge mess. The expanding top gives you an extra 1" at most. It leaks like a sieve even in a light rain. The rain cover is an extremely tight fit and even with the drawstring near breaking, it will still pop off at hwy speeds. The carbon look tank cover does provide a certain amount of protection, but it, itself will scratch your tank. It's mounted by straps that will either interfere with the steering stops, or the splash guard at the bottom of the triple, depending on the alignment of the planets. Just to put the final nail in the coffin, it's big enough that it interferes with the bars at full lock.

Junk. Move along.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="bergmen" data-cid="1165926" data-time="1406917570"><p>

Over on fjrowners.com (cannot cut and paste link here for some reason) there is a post in FJR Central titled 8900 mile shake down ride...<br />

<br />

He has the Yamaha tank bag and hates it.<br />

<br />

Dan</p></blockquote>

Mebbe he could put that pos up for sale here so someone here could use it.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="bergmen" data-cid="1165926" data-time="1406917570"><p>Over on fjrowners.com (cannot cut and paste link here for some reason) there is a post in FJR Central titled 8900 mile shake down ride...<br />

<br />

He has the Yamaha tank bag and hates it.<br />

<br />

Dan</p></blockquote>

Mebbe he could put that pos up for sale here so someone here could use it.
Here is what he had to say:

Yamaha “Travel Line” tank bag – What a dismal failure! Two weeks out and the zippers start to fall apart. A few days later the pull tabs are gone and the sliders are locked shut. I had to use a knife to open it like a can of sardines and then hold it closed with bungee cords. It’s BIG and really shouldn’t be used with the MVriser plate as the bars will hit the sides of the bag when moved full left or right.

He'd probably give it to you.

Dan

Just got back from a 2000 mile ride and have the new Yamaha tank bag system.

Pros:

• Zippers worked fine - no failures - same quality as my last Yamaha bag.
  • No major interference with steering - only minor at extremes. I have the MV adapter and not a problem.
  • Good solid mount - does not move around - if you have the straps done right.
  • Quick on/off when fueling.
Cons:

• Rain does get in on bottom front edge
  • Rain cover is very tight
  • Rain cover tends to lift off the bag at speed
  • Supplied strapping is very long on each buckle

I like the design and plan to keep using it. For the rain, I will just use a plastic bag as a liner. I also put a small strap around the rain cover to keep it on. If you keep the base clean underneath and keep the straps tight - tank damage should be no worse than any other direct mount bag.

...- tank damage should be no worse than any other direct mount bag.
How about where those metal hooks go over the back seam of the tank?
I'm planning on putting some rubber over the seam to prevent paint damage.

Yes, I also cut pieces of small tubing so as to not damage the edge.

I also put some 3M film go under the straps. I have a Tank Slapper 3M kit on many parts of the bike. Under the bag base is completely covered by 3M film. I had to make some custom pieces to fill in where the standard kit did not cover.

I would have done the same for any direct mount tank bag.

Yamaha could have paid a little more attention to the details, like the metal hooks. But it is a simple fix.