7K ride planned on 180K '04

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gazelle

Reaction score
Leaving Fri before Labor Day on my annual "Labor Day Marathon",,,likely 6500-7000 miles cross-country from SC to the Northwest/West Coast vicinity. Bike will have in excess of 180K by the time i leave. Currently running perfectly, as it always has. Oil changes, etc done on a regular basis. Any thoughts concerning preventive maintenance, spare parts, etc ? I've had only one thought and that was to buy a spare drive shaft u-joint. I've serviced it during numerous tire changes with Honda moly paste. Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions...

First and foremost, may the spirit of John Ryan smile upon your high mileage FJR cross country journey. I'd check the wearable items; hoses, tires, brake pads, etc. Got a blue dot cam chain tensioner?

Secondly, don't tell Fred W about greasing your drive shaft u-joint, that man goes to extreme lengths to prove a point (and he's usually right). But unless a bearing has seized in it or it's making noise, it is probably fine and not in need of replacement.

I think last years Iron Butt Rally had at least 3 FJRs (All '05) over 150k. Mine has completed 6 10/10ths rides (10k in 10 days) with no issues.

I found out last year that cross country is light work compared to the IBR as far as being hard on the bike. Have a great ride!

...Any thoughts concerning preventive maintenance, spare parts, etc ?...
The Doomsday Plan: AMA, AAA, etc towing service card. Being prepared usually means you won't need to use it, but life happens and you can't always plan for the curve balls it can pitch. Perhaps print a copy of the Forum emergency help list. If all the normal maintenance parts have been maintained you should be fine.

Y'all have fun and enjoy the ride!

Man, i'd love to take that trip with you. Some year. Was out there in 2009, nine days was just a blur...need more time next time.

Have a great trip! My abused 2004 only has 90k sumpin...but it's my second 2004, so that's my excuse for the garage queen mileage.

This is worth thinking about not in terms of what you should take, but more what you can accomplish at the side of the road, in the dark.

Increasingly there is little we can do if a modern bike suffers a major failure. Changing a UJ with minimal tools is possible, but you are likely to want the AMA to transport you somewhere safe first.

Routinely make sure the consumables will last the trip. A thorough check beforehand, then carry only what you can do fairly easily. Fuses, a good multi-meter, lots of cable ties, bungees or similar. A good compressor (the better ones require a 15 Amp fused outlet), and gummy worms plus glue.

You need the tools to remove panels, maybe some electrical wire and terminals to bypass stuff.

There isn't much else minor enough to fix readily, and major failures will require a shop.

Gone are the days when you rebuilt the engine with a bent fork and a cardboard gasket, fortunately the bikes are pretty robust and most minor failures can be lived with as long as you can keep the wheels turning.

Enjoy the trip.

I guess this says a lot about the superior Gen I. Taking a 7K trip on a bike with 180K could only be considered on a Gen I
yes2.gif

scooter.gif