NAFO to EOM Combining or connecting the dots...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Top_Speed1

Panama Canal Crosser
Reaction score
Just wanted to startup some ideas or plans w peeps on combining both NAFO & EOM events?

Staying Sun nite in LaCrosse?

Treking down to Maggie Valley, any routes/places UR taking in?

Arriving maybe on Weds in MV? etc....

Last edited by a moderator:
I have family in Michigan, so I'll head out a couple days early and stop there on my way to NAFO, and again in between NAFO and EOM.

I also have a niece in Athens, Ohio so I'll stop in there on the way south and probably ride some of the very good roads in that corner of Ohio.

421 between Bristol, TN and Boone, NC, AKA The Snake, is a lot of fun to ride.

If I was doing that riding in between events, I would suggest slabbing to around Columbus, IN, and two lane it through the good roads there down to the Ohio river where some really good roads lie. The INDY guys will tell you of the 2 laners that you want. Then slab to Hodgenville, KY where you take 84 east to Lebanon to 49 south to 70 east and south till you get to the outskirts of Somerset. This is back country so pack a lunch and preplan gas stops. Do not take the main drag through Somerset...go on the side roads east of town to avoid the speed traps. After you get past Somerset, head through the curvy roads of the past EOM routes...to get you to western North Carolina, or jump over to Virginia and 16 south of Tazewell. Head south into NC from there...

Let me know your thoughts KJ, Id' be interested in taking the long way down there and doing some scenic roads. Then again you maybe able to hook up with Martin and his band of merry men and head down from LaCrosse. I'm sure they have a million routes to get down there. Keep me posted, I'm pretty sure I'll being heading down to the Gap then and be staying in Alcoa Tn area during the event.

I believe you said this will be your first time to Deals Gap? If so your in for a treat it's an amazing area.

All good stuff so far, definitely want to take the "long way" down from LaCrosse to Maggie. With 3 or 4 days to burn (in between events) why go any other way?

Scenic works, twisties work, sweepers work ....well, who am I kidding, anything works as long as I'm not work'n! 'nuff said, lets ride :)

Still haven't nailed down my plans, but definitely taking the long way around between events. Will be leaving Sunday.

I live in the middle of the two events and will just go home to work for 3 days (M-W) before heading down to EOM. That said, we have a spare room that someone can use for an overnight rest. PM me if you are interested.

Oh, as Wheaton stated, southern Indiana has some good roads to travel and explore if you want to make a full day of it. You just need to get through the flat northern and central part of the state first!

My thoughts are that spelling is becoming a lost skill. (Combinning?)
Although spelling has become worse on average lately, I think the problem here is more likely typing. Between the variety of keyboards that people use and the way they hold the device they are using, I'm surprised it isn't worse.
tonguesmiley.gif

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Allen_C" data-cid="1165975" data-time="1406926932"><p>

I live in the middle of the two events and will just go home to work for 3 days (M-W) before heading down to EOM. That said, we have a spare room that someone can use for an overnight rest. PM me if you are interested.<br />

<br />

Oh, as Wheaton stated, southern Indiana has some good roads to travel and explore if you want to make a full day of it. You just need to get through the flat northern and central part of the state first!</p></blockquote>

You could spend a day, but you don't have to.

I was thinking from Columbus, get west to 135 south to 58 west to 450 to 550 to 150 to 37 south and 237 south to 66 east to the interstate and slab to Hodgenville, KY.

You could cut off the 450, 550, 150 triangle if you have to, but you would be missing out and adding straight portions to your route.

Rough plan for me right now is to head south from La Crosse and not stop until the roads get twisty. Then, spoon on a new Pilot Power front tire at either Lee's or Marks, then abuse the snot out of that mofo until the cords are showing...

I have routes from the Cumberland Falls EOM to string together for getting across KY. There's a road in SC that I need to show Mark (if he hasn't already found it).

Rough plan for me right now is to head south from La Crosse and not stop until the roads get twisty. Then, spoon on a new Pilot Power front tire at either Lee's or Marks, then abuse the snot out of that mofo until the cords are showing...
I have routes from the Cumberland Falls EOM to string together for getting across KY. There's a road in SC that I need to show Mark (if he hasn't already found it).
If u end up west of Chicago about 25 miles, my shop is in Brookfield,IL Cross roads are basicly 294 & I55. U can drop ship the tire to the shop put it on and balance it and off u go. If ya want a great corn beef sandwich and beer before ya go my buddy owns Irish Times great little Irish Pub. On the Burlington tracks about 4 balks from the shop.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="extrememarine" data-cid="1166015" data-time="1406935888"><p>

Rough plan for me right now is to head south from La Crosse and not stop until the roads get twisty. Then, spoon on a new Pilot Power front tire at either Lee's or Marks, then abuse the snot out of that mofo until the cords are showing...<br />

<br />

I have routes from the Cumberland Falls EOM to string together for getting across KY. There's a road in SC that I need to show Mark (if he hasn't already found it).</p></blockquote>

If you're talking about I85, I found it.

My thoughts are that spelling is becoming a lost skill. (Combinning?)
Although spelling has become worse on average lately, I think the problem here is more likely typing. Between the variety of keyboards that people use and the way they hold the device they are using, I'm surprised it isn't worse.
tonguesmiley.gif
Fixxxed err. It was actually correct in the body text, just an extra "n" in the title.
wink.png

So is anybody staying Sunday nite at NAFO?, or is everybody bailing for points (un)known?

I'll be in Kansas City, MO on the weekend of the 19th. I'll leave on Monday morning and head to EOM. I'll have 4 days to do 800 miles. Looking at a map, I'm planning to avoid slaps the whole way. Should be fun. :D

I presume you will head straight down to AR and take AR 16 across?

If you cross in MO, make sure you hit the stretch of US160 between Alton and Doniphan.

You can thank me later at EOM HQ

Edit: per Wayne's post above...I could easily make that a six day trip.

If there's a second loop worth riding on Sunday, I may.

So is anybody staying Sunday nite at NAFO?, or is everybody bailing for points (un)known?

If u end up west of Chicago about 25 miles, my shop is in Brookfield,IL Cross roads are basicly 294 & I55. U can drop ship the tire to the shop put it on and balance it and off u go. If ya want a great corn beef sandwich and beer before ya go my buddy owns Irish Times great little Irish Pub. On the Burlington tracks about 4 balks from the shop.
Maybe at least a lunch stop...