Givi Monokey Boxes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sgt3355

Reaction score
Hi

My old 2001 FJR which I ran for the ten years didn’t come with Yamaha panniers and I used Givi Monokey Boxes, initially with a Givi Wingrack and later with SW Motech holders.

The problem I have now is one that I didn't foresee when I switched my old FJR for a later 2009 model is that neither Givi nor Motech make a mounting for the later models.

So I am forced to use the quite useless Yamaha ones; and to call this bike a Tourer fitted with these boxes is a joke. With these panniers on, a flask, a packet of sandwiches and a jacket and they are full.

I toured Europe with this bike this year and I have to have so much stuff strapped to it with bungees I look more like Bedouin Arab!

So whilst not hopeful does anyone know if there is rack system out there in the big wide world made to mount Givi boxes on the later model FJR?

Cheers
upset.gif

Hepco and Becker make a rack for the Gen2.

Going to modify it for the Gen3, I like the larger & lighter H&B panniers.

I think there is an adapter plate for the Givi.

Thanks for this info; followed your link and had a look at the Hepco & Becker frame, has potential!

I haven't heard of these people or seen their stuff before so I will look into their panniers as well; although I do like the Givi Monokey boxes cos of that drop down access flap so you can get in the box without unloading it

Thanks for the pointer

The Gen2 pannier frame fits the Gen3, no problems at all, now have the H&B panniers on the bike.

H&B make god stuff, still think they make the Krauser Gear, don't particularly like their top box mount, the Givi 357 is far better.

I could swap panniers between the XS11 the the FJR

Was hoping to fit the top loading Givi E41 Keyless on one day.

Sorry not to reply before; been enjoying myself so much decorating the house!!!!!

I looked at the pictures of the pannier frames and thought that they looked as though they would fit

However the UK stockists tell me that there isn't an adapter carrier frame in the H&B range to take the Givi boxes; and not only do I like the Givi boxes a lot but I'm also loathed to buy yet another set of panniers

I’m going to look at these frames some more but my next plan is to take the Sw-Motech frames that I still have, see what lines up and then speak to a metal basher to see if they can be altered to fit and still be useable

I may be bashing my head against a wall, but worth the effort

Thanks a lot

Richard

So I am forced to use the quite useless Yamaha ones; and to call this bike a Tourer fitted with these boxes is a joke. With these panniers on, a flask, a packet of sandwiches and a jacket and they are full.
I toured Europe with this bike this year and I have to have so much stuff strapped to it with bungees I look more like Bedouin Arab!
I hate to ask this, and I'll sound like a douchebag in the process, but how big is your flask, packet of sandwiches, and jacket? With the standard OEM panniers I can easily carry enough gear for 2 weeks on the road. When the wife tags along, I've done 12 days on the road with the standard panniers and a GIVI V46 top box. Obviously, women require more junk. The standard boxes do quite well. How much other crap do you need to carry?

I hate to ask this, and I'll sound like a douchebag in the process, but how big is your flask, packet of sandwiches, and jacket?
I would like to turn this around. I recently took a 2 week trip from Albuquerque to Maine and back. We use Givi bags as we too have found the standard panniers too small for our needs. Besides what I was wearing I took a pair of lightweight pants, 3 pair of underwear, 3 pair of socks, 3 lightweight shirts, shaving kit and a pair of tennis shoes. My wife took about the same as well as her rain gear. I also had a first aid kit, tool bag, small bike cover and Slime tire inflator. We each had a cell phone and a camera. We had 2 Rox straps, small binoculars and a small plastic case of Vaseline, sunblock and lip balm. We did not use any of the tools or Rox straps. This would NOT fit into the standard panniers.I will be the first to admit that I have trouble going 2 up with stock panniers and a Givi top case but don't know what to throw out. Now, if you please, I would like to know what you and your wife took on your 12 day trip that allowed you to use your stock panniers.

Oops, I forgot, we always carry our Gerbing jackets and gloves in the Gerbing stuff sacks. They are about 8" long and 6" in diameter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Givi used to make the SR-357 mount that fits my 2010 FJR1300. I use two Monokey E35 side bags and an E45 top case when on long trips. I found a NOS mount at a bike shop in England for about $250 + shipping. I've seen them on Ebay from time to time. I wonder if it will fit a 2014?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just google "Givi SR 357"

You'll find pictures and suppliers. This part can still be bought new.

I note a lot of comment in my absence!

In reply to "Morecowbell" above, besides the flask, sandwiches and spare jacket there was also the the tent, sleeping bag, cooker etc. In short I wasn't staying in "indoors". So room is of the essence

I'm lucky in that I ride solo as my better half wouldn't be seen dead sleeping in a tent, so at the moment I throw a large grip covered in a small tarp strapped down with bungees on the pillion seat against a Givi top box which of course as Twigg points out you can get the mounting for

But this isn't a solution, it's simply making the best of a crap design. Obviously as Japan isn't a big country they don't need a lot of luggage capacity (or just use motels)

So at the moment still with plan A above, take the Mo-tech frames to a welder and see what can be done (if anything); as I don't really want to store the Givi boxes on the off chance of them being OK on the FJR's replacement.

Work in progress methinks!!!!