Getting High in Colorado

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler

Miss Demeanor
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
A few months ago, I heard about a rally being held in Colorado called “How the West Was Won” (aka HW3). I knew many of the folks on the staff as well as participants in the rally so I thought I’d mosey out there and check it all out. I was also fortunate to find a gent, George, in the Denver area who rents Spyders so could also have the pleasure of riding around the area which has been high on my list for a while now.

I arrived early on Friday morning, George picked me up at the airport, took me to the bike, I repacked all my stuff, and met up with Aussie friend, Brian/festar, who is visiting the states and riding around for eight weeks. We had met in Sparks a couple of weeks prior and I had extended an invite to him to come join in the fun in Colorado.

So off we went into the wild blue yonder headed for Georgetown… the long way! About a half hour into it, we got dumped on so had to stop and put on the rain gear… I’ve been told that if you don’t get rained on in Colorado, you aren’t riding enough! And as quickly as it started, it was over…

IMG_0486-X2.jpg

Our first stop was at Echo Lake for a coffee break…

DSC_5227-X2.jpg

The skies vacillated between blue skies and threatening thunder clouds…

DSC_5225-X2.jpg

And then it was time for our first “getting high” adventure… the ascent to the top of Mt. Evans, the highest paved road in the US (beats out Pikes Peak by about 100 feet)…

IMG_0530-XL.jpg

The road goes up quickly and reminds of some of the passes in Europe as the terrain changes and the road twists and turns…

IMG_0499-X2.jpg

IMG_0511.12%20pano-X2.jpg

View of Echo Lake from on high…

IMG_0526-X2.jpg

Came across these critters climbing around on the rocks on the side of the road…

DSC_5236-X2.jpg

These strange looking flowers lined the outside of the road…

IMG_0523-X2.jpg

More views on the way up…

IMG_0489-X2.jpg

IMG_0490-X2.jpg

IMG_0521-X2.jpg

I think the Aussie was having a good time…

IMG_0494-X2.jpg

We arrived at the top and definitely felt the rush of being over 14K feet up in the sky…

IMG_0498-X2.jpg

DSC_5228.29%20pano-X2.jpg

Made it and didn’t pass out!

TR-Brian%20Mt%20Evans%20Summit-L.jpg

On the way down, it looked like we would get doused again but then the road would turn a different direction and there’d be blue skies again…

IMG_0512.13%20pano-X2.jpg

And it turned out to be a gorgeous afternoon…

IMG_0520-X2.jpg

DSC_5246.47.48%20pano-X2.jpg

With that we headed for Georgetown where the rally would start and end.

DSC_5407-X2.jpg

DSC_5403-X2.jpg

DSC_5405-X2.jpg

I had offered my photo services for the rally and was taken up on my offer quite quickly. Most of the riders had already arrived and were preparing for their adventures and getting ready for the banquet that evening.

DSC_5263-X2.jpg

DSC_5272-X2.jpg

Rally Master Justin was giddy with excitement for the first HW3…

DSC_5281-XL.jpg

Riders were given last minute instructions such as don’t trust your GPS if it shows you a “shortcut”… evidently many of those will end up unpaved and can, and did, result in quite the adventure for some…

DSC_5288-X2.jpg

Some had their pre-rally rituals to attend to as well…

DSC_5279-X2.jpg

Did I mention that the rally started Saturday morning? At 4:30am for odo checks, etc.? Did I mention I offered to take photos? It’s really dark at that time of day… or night… or whatever... some of the photos looked like a scene out of Tron…

DSC_5343-X2.jpg

But spirits were high, adrenaline was pumping, and these folks were ready to rock & roll…

DSC_5307-XL.jpg

DSC_5319-X2.jpg

Impressive lighting would help in the dark hours…

DSC_5327cr2-XL.jpg

DSC_5348-X2.jpg

And they’re off!

DSC_5351-X2.jpg

After all the riders were out of the gate, most of us headed back to bed to catch a few more hours of shut eye… later that morning, Brian and I decided to head for Rocky Mountain National Park as suggested by Justin (thanks for those awesome routes!)… started out on I40 which was a lovely way to start the day…

IMG_0533-X2.jpg

IMG_0537-X2.jpg

IMG_0539-XL.jpg

IMG_0541-X2.jpg

We stopped for a late breakfast/early lunch in Winter Park… saw this place and of course had to go there… :wub:

Carvers.jpg

The restroom signage showed the owners had a good sense of humor…

IMG_0544-X2.jpg

Condos nearby… yeah, I could deal with that…

DSC_5364-XL.jpg

And then we headed into the park…

IMG_0548-X2.jpg

I wasn’t even paying attention to my speed so when I saw a park ranger flash his lights at me as he came the other direction, I realized I was about 10 over the speed limit and slowed it down… thanks, Mr. Ranger Sir! We were in no hurry so just relaxed and made our way through the park, stopping for photos or to chat with other visitors…

DSC_5372.73%20pano-X2.jpg

DSC_5390-X2.jpg

Lots and lots of twisty road…

DSC_5395.96%20pano-X2.jpg

IMG_0559-X2.jpg

IMG_0570-X2.jpg

IMG_0565-XL.jpg

Hmmmmm… wonder what those will turn into!

DSC_5594-X2.jpg

I thought for sure we’d get dumped on this time but Lady Luck was still with us and we only got a smattering of drops…

IMG_0574-X2.jpg

Back down in the lowlands and through Denver…

IMG_0585-X2.jpg

Roadwork on Hwy 70 brought traffic to a standstill so we got a little creative for a while using the right side of the road to get past some of it and give Brian’s clutch hand a rest.

IMG_0587-XL.jpg

We had dinner with the rally staff and watched the colors change in the sky to end a brilliant day…

IMG_0588-X2.jpg

IMG_0591-XL.jpg

Sunday we hung around the hotel as the riders were expected to begin arriving around 9am… the Rally Master’s view for 32 hours - keeping an eye on the kids…

DSC_5398-X2.jpg

While waiting, Brian offered one of the riders’ son, Skyeler, some tips of the fine art of yo-yo-ing…

DSC_5495-X2.jpg

And then the riders started rolling in while the staff met them to get odo checks before the riders headed for the scoring table…

DSC_5472-X2.jpg

DSC_5487-X2.jpg

DSC_5444-X2.jpg

DSC_5470-X2.jpg

And evidence of massive bug carnage was prevalent…

DSC_5467-XL.jpg

DSC_5423-X2.jpg

Poster boy for LD Comfort…

DSC_5428-XL.jpg

Award for best helmet hair…

DSC_5509-X2.jpg

Someone’s Stich needs a good washing…

DSC_5515-XL.jpg

The scoring got hot and heavy…

DSC_5486-X2.jpg

DSC_5434-XL.jpg

DSC_5500-X2.jpg

And the riders could finally just kick back and relax… everyone made it back safe and sound... well, the sound part might be debatable... ;)

DSC_5546-XL.jpg

DSC_5524-X2.jpg

DSC_5557-X2.jpg

DSC_5553-XL.jpg

Some more than others…

DSC_5536-X2.jpg

DSC_5544-X2.jpg

The final banquet was held and the standings shared…

DSC_5586-XL.jpg

First place went to Rod Schween…

DSC_5589-X2.jpg

After dinner some folks headed for home and the rest would be gone by early Monday morning. Brian headed north for South Dakota and I headed off to tackle the famed Pikes Peak… took 126 for starters which was a gorgeous blend of sweepers, tight twisties, and lovely scenery… it was a blissful morning…

IMG_0593-X2.jpg

IMG_0597-X2.jpg

IMG_0602-X2.jpg

IMG_0608-X2.jpg

IMG_0609-XL.jpg

Arriving at the beginning of Pikes Peak, I was a bit nervous that perhaps the weather would not cooperate but thought, hell, I’m here so I’m gonna do it!!

IMG_0612-XL.jpg

About a mile or two in, I came across the North Pole… really!!

IMG_0613-XL.jpg

IMG_0614-X2.jpg

I was disappointed to not have a sighting…

IMG_0641-XL.jpg

And then began the real ascent… while Mt. Evans is slightly higher in elevation, the road to the top of Pikes Peak is much, much longer and seems to keep going and going and going… with spectacular views and fantastic twists and turns… and of course the slow traffic upon occasion and there were lots of spots with dirt, etc. in the turns so one had to pay attention at all times…

IMG_0631-X2.jpg

DSC_5616-X2.jpg

DSC_5605-X2.jpg

DSC_5607-X2.jpg

The road rose so high that when you looked off the side of the road, there was a sea of clouds stretching out in front of you… no worries about those clouds I had seen because now I was above it all…

IMG_0635-X2.jpg

DSC_5619-X2.jpg

Made it!!

Pikes%20Peak%20Summit.jpg

And then snaked my way back down…

DSC_5625.26%20pano-X2.jpg

Looks like someone didn’t snake down so well around this turn…

IMG_0640-XL.jpg

And then it was time to head back toward Denver to drop the bike off and make my way to the airport for home… many thanks to Justin for letting me play with the “Big Dogs” and thoroughly enjoyed seeing existing friends and making some new ones to boot… I will definitely be back to explore Colorado more… if it’s on your bucket list, go do it!!

FIN

Great report, wonderful pictures. The one's of Pike's Peak Highway are spectacular.

Excellent write up, and thanks so much for joining me for some great rides. Thoroughly enjoyed our time together. Hope to do it again next year. Great pics too. Well done Tyler.

It's Colorado, where's the smoke shops?
tonguesmiley.gif

Awesome report Ms T. sure looks like you had a great time and riding with festar is a pleasure. I was snowed out in September last time I tried to ride RMP. Going to have to get back there in the summer.

Thanks for the pictures!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice. So now you put that pic of me in my comforts in two places on the web.....

Lol.