Is there a rear wheel mud flap on 2014?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketman0

Reaction score
I just noticed that there seemed to be the mounting holes for a mud flap in front of the rear wheel to protect the shock but it's not there. Do other 2014 have it or is this something I need to order?

Thanks.

WAmGYn7l.jpg

The best I've gathered is the "A" does not have it but the "ES" does!

There is a thread on this. My 13 came without, used the part # for 2012 model, fit right in, holes drilled already, 2 minute install. Keeps an awful lot of crude out.

"This is a clear attempt by [insert political party name] to once again [insert heinous act] in an election year. As the [insert title of politician] knows, the American people expect better from their elected officials and the [insert name of opposition party] will launch a thorough investigation."

But seriously folks...

Does the Gen 3 FSM or Yamaha parts fiche list a part number for the mud flap? If not, it would seem reasonable to conclude that Yamaha determined that the part was not necessary from the standpoint of performance or safety.

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't it simply that the conventional spring of the Gen III "A" has a protective sleeve round it so Yamaha don't think it needs a flap, whereas the "ES" ("AE" in the UK), and the "AS" in the UK ("AE" in the 'States) have no sleeve, so Yamaha fit the flap?

If you want to fit a flap to your "A", that's fine, but Yamaha obviously doesn't think it's necessary.

there is on mine.... after i bought one and installed it
I guess I can make one from the mud flap in autopart store...
When I bought my second '05, I noticed the previous owner had seen fit to remove the mud flap. So I grabbed a black plastic waste basket from the house and cut a mud flap outta that. Looks like it came from the factory.

As my 2014 makes a creak like an attic pull down door, or like an ancient recliner being laid back, I chose to lube everything I could get to without disassembly I and will have the Yamaha flap arriving next week. If nothing else, it's a sub $10 part that makes cleanup easier. I ride in the rain regularly, and any little bit of crud containment helps.

^^^^ LcJ, yours does because it's an ES!

I used a black waste basket to make a flap longer and wider for my Penske equipped '15.

--G

^^^^ LcJ, yours does because it's an ES!
I used a black waste basket to make a flap longer and wider for my Penske equipped '15.

--G
Good idea using the plastic waste basket. Seems waste baskets are getting a lot of use on the FJR....some using the black wire mesh baskets to fabricate radiator guards instead of paying the ridiculous $100 pricetag for storebought.

Didn't know that just the ES has the flap. Why not protect the shock no matter whether it's and ES or standard? Makes no sense to me. Always comes down to profit margin I guess.

Just checked my 2015A and it does not have a flap, but the holes are there to install one. Seems like a good idea to have one there and will be ordering one.