New to me motorcycle dead - 2007AE

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikerbuddha

Reaction score
The best and worst day of my life happened Wednesday, I bought first motorcycle. Whilst trailiering the bike home (because I am a noob), the transmission on the car went out.

Anyway, when I got home, I got the bike started once and then after my friends left and I wanted to move the bike to a better parking space, I walked it to a better space. I tried to start it a couple times and then a yellow light came on. Now battery is dead!

Any help would be appreciated!
not_i.gif
help.gif

Understand that I have exactly 20 miles of motorcycle riding experience (MSF Course) and 0 on this bike. So I will have limited knowledge of tools needed or common motorcycle terminology.

Chris

Are there any error codes being displayed on the display panel (ER followed by a number) or a SH number? If not then all that may be wrong is that you need a new battery. If it is the original battery it is old enough that it probably will not hold a proper charge anymore. It is normal to have to change out the battery after six to seven years just due to age and normal usage.

I saw a yellow light the last time I could get the bike to start, i think it was in an engine graphic, after that I have absolutely nothing.

Going to need more information Chris.

When you started the bike, was it just a quick start and stop without warming up the engine? FJRs are prone to flooding if they're not warmed up after a cold start.

--G

When it started the first time, did it hesitate and finally kick over? Did it chugga-chugga-chugga before turning over? A couple years ago when I flew to Phoenix to pick up my "new" 2005 at my sister's house, I took it out for gas. Then it did the above hard start after gassing up, and planning to leave for home the next morning at 0-darky-thirty, I thought, "I'm f**ked." I got it back to my sister's house, called a local Cycle Gear, got a battery and a trickle charger, installed the battery (which if I can do you can do), hooked up the charger, and by 4 AM was all set. It fired up like a champ and has done since.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here it comes Chris! Welcome to the wonderful world of motorcycling. This includes the aspect of spending money to make it better and there's plenty of great people here on the Forum that'll be more than happy to help you share that experience. :)

I'll leave it to others to help you diagnose this problem but in any case you should know how to access the battery. Start there first and then seriously consider a pigtail install and Battery Tender. (There are other options but I'm keeping it simple.) Also take seriously the Newbie section in the middle of that post (I'm saving you some aggravation here, trust me) and maybe look over the External Tech sites for some good tips and tutorials.

Good luck and welcome to the fold.

Start by charging your battery and trying to start it again. If that works, test or replace your battery. You may have discharged your battery by restarting the bike several times, this may have been compounded by leaving the key on for even a short amount of time. You can even jump it from your car if messesary. Be careful when doing that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would not make an FJR my first bike. Sharing this thought for your own protection. Having said that, best of luck to you. Ride safe and spend HOURS reading this forum.
I would have to 2nd that! That is a LOT of bike for a first bike. Going fast in a straight line is easy. I would go find a large empty parking lot and practice what you learned in MSF over & over & over again before tackling the real world right away. Once you get to know your bike you'll absolutely love it. Have fun & be safe Chris!

When you do get it running, please be very careful when you start riding.

A Yamaha FJR1300 is not you standard MSF fare. It is big, heavy and incredibly fast. The good news is that it is a very easy bike to ride. It goes where you point it and has grip to spare.

But go easy because in all likelihood, when you first crack the throttle it will scare the crap out of you (the brakes are good too).

I wouldn't have recommended it as a first bike ... not even close, but now you have it, go easy and enjoy.

Turn it on, take a pic of the display, and post it. We'll then be able to tell if you have an error or not. You being new to the display will not necessarily be able to decipher what you are looking at. Likely though, it's just the battery. Pick up a new one and ride for another six or so years confident in the battery.

Not sure how new you are but, charge the battery up and check the shut off switch on the right side hand control pod. On or off? If it's off the bike will turn over but won't start. The check engine light comes on at the beginning of the start cycle as a check.

Finally got some friends to come over and help me remove the necessary panels to get to the battery, ran a charge on it for 30 minutes, bike has started. Yeah

Thanks for everyone's help! Just wondering, the bike has a plug for heated gear can that be used for anything else, i.e. battery tender.

Just wondering, the bike has a plug for heated gear can that be used for anything else, i.e. battery tender.
Most likely. Find out first how that plug is routed, i.e. does it go direct to the battery and if so it should be no problem to use. Also check the in-line fuse on that wire (which hopefully is there) just to familiarize yourself with it. With regards to the plug style, most tenders use an SAE type as a default however there are many adapters out there which you can make work should you have a different style. Worse case - simply add another pigtail sticking out of the fairing near the battery for now until you figure out how you're going to set things up electrically.

The bikes at the age of needing a new battery anyway. Start there. Also, Install a battery maintainer/tether line while you have access to the compartment.

Glad to hear you got it running! Tread lightly until you get some time in the saddle... The FJR is a lot of bike for a beginner, but a joy to ride once you get comfortable with it.

Charging the battery helped, but I'm guessing the real problem was a SS-TARB1 fault and the new ride just needed to hide in the garage until that passed.

1SS-TARB - Shame, shame - trailers are for boats.