Thinking of Returning

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lostviking

Reaction score
I have a 2013 Super Tenere. It is a nice bike. It's just not ringing my bell.

Thinking of returning to the FJR.

I was getting gas the other day, when from the rear, I heard this mean turbine sound pulling up behind me. I knew what it was before I even turned around. The guy was on a Black FJR all bagged up. And showroom clean. My Tenere was all bagged up and clean as well. We spent a few minutes drooling over each other's bikes.

He wants a Tenere worse than bad. Truthfully if it were not for the paperwork. I think we would have left on each other's bikes.

I had a 2007, and traded it for a KTM 950 and some cash. Should have kept the FJR.

I have owned several Beemers and my favorite hands down was my 2004 R1150RS, the FJR to me is a lot like that bike. Only better in many ways. But the riding position, and weather protection are very similar.

Last edited by a moderator:
good luck with the decision...it is always tough, try something new or stay with the tried and true....do what makes you feel good

.... My Tenere was all bagged up and clean as well. ...
This sounds like a problem! My attraction to the Tenere is its ability to explore off-pavement areas the FJR could/should never go. Never done any of that? Didn't do anything for you?

I test rode a Super Ten and it just didn't feel right to me. Maybe I have too many hours on the FJR to feel right on anything else. I decided to keep the FJR and look for something lighter and less expensive for dual-sporting. I still haven't found that second bike with the features and price that I like, but I keep looking.
smile.png

FJR is fun, dual sporting on a ST in fun. Guess you have to decide which fun you now want to go with. Good luck, but this decision is why so many have both! JS'NS
smile.png

I couldn't get on with the FJR until we took in 3000 miles in under four days ... That did it :D

I couldn't get on with the FJR until we took in 3000 miles in under four days ... That did it
biggrin.png
Sometime you just need to "break" it in
smile.png
Well I washed it, did a few minor repairs (the new panel can wait), and it's actually looking pretty good :)

I also decided that nice farkle-shelf doesn't work and have swapped back to the farkle-bar I made for the Venture Royale ... Fits beautifully and it's much better for rallying. It looks like the set-up Lipps has ... we both made our own.

If you are considering returning to the FJR fold, I would highly recommend considering a Gen III. These are the beez neez.

Dan

The Tenere has seen its fair.share of dirt. I had just washed it. A fairly rare occurance. It does nothing wrong. It just doesn't quite get me there.

It is getting better though. Not a lot of miles I am just about 4,000. It is starting to smooth out nicely. Got it late, and was out of town for a bit. So not many miles last year. Snow on the ground from two weeks befor thanksgiving. Still had some in my yard second week of May.

Not the best year bike wise.

I rode the '12 Tenere about 2 years ago just for fun. The one thing that really stood out in my mind was that as I was accelerating, I kept waiting for that kick to begin building around 6k rpm, but it never came, instead, the power just began to taper off as it neared the redline. I found myself feeling very disappointed. Part of the thrill of owning a 12-13 hundred cc bike is the acceleration. The Tenere was no match for the FJR. I never compared the acceleration numbers, but my seat of the pants dyno found the Tenere lacking. Though I don't use the FJRs top end power most of the time, it's always fun to get on it a little when the mood strikes and circumstances allow.

Viking,

I can see what you mean by, "just not ringing my bell." It didn't ring mine either. Nice bike, though. Just not in the same league as the FJR. The FJR might not be the fastest, or the comfortablest (is that even a word?) or the best handling bike on the road, but when ya look at what it can do, and add in the reliability, the ease of maintenance, the balance, fit and feel... and this amazing forum, there's nothing out there that can beat the combination for the money.

Hey, OP, how about you go buy the new 1190R KTM, then don't like it, then we'll trade straight across my FJR for the KTM, sound OK? :)

Oh, and welcome back to FJR Land! It's rally only a matter of time..

I rode the '12 Tenere about 2 years ago just for fun. The one thing that really stood out in my mind was that as I was accelerating, I kept waiting for that kick to begin building around 6k rpm, but it never came, instead, the power just began to taper off as it neared the redline. I found myself feeling very disappointed. Part of the thrill of owning a 12-13 hundred cc bike is the acceleration. The Tenere was no match for the FJR. I never compared the acceleration numbers, but my seat of the pants dyno found the Tenere lacking. Though I don't use the FJRs top end power most of the time, it's always fun to get on it a little when the mood strikes and circumstances allow.
Viking,

I can see what you mean by, "just not ringing my bell." It didn't ring mine either. Nice bike, though. Just not in the same league as the FJR. The FJR might not be the fastest, or the comfortablest (is that even a word?) or the best handling bike on the road, but when ya look at what it can do, and add in the reliability, the ease of maintenance, the balance, fit and feel... and this amazing forum, there's nothing out there that can beat the combination for the money.

Yes exactly,

That was one thing I loved about the FJR, it was like owning two differnt bikes. A relaxed well mannered bike below 6K,

And a snarling beastie above.

The Tenere does nothing wrong. But I may give up on my self imposed one bike limit. And look at the FJR and maybe a KLR down the road. I'm short and the Tenere is a big bike off road. Dirt roads are fine, forest roads too. But truthfully I had my FJR on a lot of dirt too.

I cranked out about 230 miles today. Even about 30 miles of slab. The S10 does everything I ask it to. It handles the slab well too.

But at fifty-four, I'm getting tired of always having to stretch to get a foot down.

If it doesn't happen I won't die. But that red sure looks better in person than in the pictures.

Hey, OP, how about you go buy the new 1190R KTM, then don't like it, then we'll trade straight across my FJR for the KTM, sound OK? :)
Oh, and welcome back to FJR Land! It's rally only a matter of time..
Sounds like a great deal.

Shoot me your checking account and routing numbers and I'll drop an extra $1,000.00 into your account so you can personalize it when you get it.

Had my finger on the trigger of a Super Tenere . . . but I could never justify parting with my 07 FJR . . . so to cure my itch for dual-sport / off-road riding I bought a 2014 1/2 KLR-650 for $5800 brand new out of the crate . . . granted it's no Tenere, but it is a lot more capable off-road in my opinion . . . and at $5800 I could afford and justify having both bikes. The KLR is pretty low maintenance and extremely easy to work on.

I have no regrets that I didn't get the Tenere I had planned on purchasing for over a year . . . actually glad I didn't.

With either bike you can't go wrong, just depends on which tool you want need for the day.

I've got both bikes, the best of both worlds I figure. BTW -- Your Tenere needs a couple thousand more miles on it to smooth out completely and run well.

Good luck with the decision!

--G

I have both a '13 Tenere and a '13 FJR. Had the FJR a year before getting the S10. At first I thought that the FJR was going to start sitting around a lot due to the comfortable seating position of the S10 and it's go-anywhere ability, however over time I started to really miss the smoothness and speed of the FJR. Not sure I'm wanting to give up the S10 but it would be very difficult to decide which of the two needed to go if I went back to one..

I did go look at the KTM1190 Adventure R a couple of weeks ago thinking it may be the best of both worlds. Great bike that is both fast and dirt worthy but it's a LOT of money once it's decked out and I'd be hesitant to bang it around in the woods.

Add me to the list of both bikes.

Traded a 2008 Road Star for a 2012 Tenere. Already had a 2004 FJR.

Rode them both a lot. Did a Iron Butt on the FJR but the Tenere took part on a several state Iron Butt National Parks Tour as well.

I am 6'1" so height is no issue for me. I f I could only have one bike I think I would keep the Tenere for the extra dirt road capability.

That said I just traded off the FJR for a 2013 FJR and love this bike !

There are certainly worse positions to be in. And the Tenere does open up some less than stellar roads. Which we have plenty of up here in the Adirondacks.

At the moment, I am just thinking out loud.

Both truly are great bikes.