PR4's

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Intech

Mr. Camping Meet
Reaction score
Just ordered a set of PR4's from JakeWilson.com for $301.98. They are back ordered, but I am in no hurry. It will be the first set I mount and balance myself.

Just ordered a set of PR4's from JakeWilson.com for $301.98. They are back ordered, but I am in no hurry. It will be the first set I mount and balance myself.
I'm about to order a set myself. That's not a bad price.

I've been looking at equipment for mounting and balancing myself also. Just bought Russ's balancer from the forum.

What equipment have you got for mounting your tires?

I just received my set of PR4's from Sporttour.com. Arrived in one day since I live close to Cinci.

Your second tire change will be dramatically easier than your first! No one forget's their first time...

Last edited by a moderator:
On the balance part, they are not marked as to the heavy or light side. Big disappointment (for me at least) as this made it much easier onto what end to mount opposite the TPM.

I went JakeWilson as well. Mine came within 3 days but were not B/O'd either. Good luck, I think you will likey them Bob!

I've been looking at equipment for mounting and balancing myself also. Just bought Russ's balancer from the forum.

It is a Harbor Freight changer.

That one is on my list too. Hmmmm...

That one is on my list too. Hmmmm...
I'll post my experience with it. I was looking at Russ's balancer too. There is one with the changer, so Russ is on hold for now. I will probably end up with one of his anyway. Quality counts!

Re the balance dot, try putting the bar code OPPOSITE the stem, it usually results in a closer balance than random. It may (or may not) be an intentional move by Michelin.

We tried it both ways many times, and this is the best point we found over 8- 10 tires. YMMV

I'll post my experience with it. I was looking at Russ's balancer too. There is one with the changer, so Russ is on hold for now. I will probably end up with one of his anyway. Quality counts!
I have the HF changer. I think the brackets that grip the wheel on mine were shipped installed backwards. Picture speaks thousands of words.

https://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/tirechange

I have the HF changer. I think the brackets that grip the wheel on mine were shipped installed backwards. Picture speaks thousands of words.

https://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/tirechange
Great info! Thanks. Already sent an inquiry about availability of the Mojolever and blocks. With all this great information I should avoid most of the first change pitfalls! Hopefully there will be no blood letting! I hope you were wearing safety glasses. Could have been bad!

Re the balance dot, try putting the bar code OPPOSITE the stem, it usually results in a closer balance than random. It may (or may not) be an intentional move by Michelin.
We tried it both ways many times, and this is the best point we found over 8- 10 tires. YMMV
When I mount/balance my own tire at home, this is what I did:

1) balance rim without tire (just use scotch tape to temporarily hold the wheel weight)

2) put the tire on (only 1 bead so it can be rotated around)

3) Now we know where the heavy spot of the **tire** is

4) rotate the tire and position the heavy spot we found in (3) to the wheel weight position in (1)

5) remove the temporary wheel weight

6) install tire and on the tire changer and seat the beads

7) final balance of the tire

I usually only need 1 to 2 pieces of wheel weight by balancing it this way.

1) balance rim without tire (just use scotch tape to temporarily hold the wheel weight)

4) rotate the tire and position the heavy spot we found in (3) to the wheel weight position in (1)

Just reading this today. Sounds like a good procedure. I will try that. Doing my first tire today!

I am guessing this was not the method used on my tires I purchased in Cali. I have 5 weights on the front. They are ugly! Better to have it balanced than pretty though, but with this method from Intech, I prob could have both.

Good method Intech

I am guessing this was not the method used on my tires I purchased in Cali. I have 5 weights on the front. They are ugly! Better to have it balanced than pretty though, but with this method from Intech, I prob could have both.

Good method Intech
Thanks, but that would a contribution from rocketman0.

Hope your tire change went well Intech.

Did mine last weekend and I had a first. The front tire went on and balanced out with no weights what so ever.

I was very skeptical indeed. I had it out for a "spirited ride" this weekend and felt no vibration at all. My rear tire needed 26 grams. It seemed a bit much, but balanced out. My skepticism was thankfully erased. (for the time being)

I also found out that a black paint pen from Michael's does quite well at camouflaging the scratches I managed to "antique" into the rims.

Next tire change on the HF machine, I think I will use a ratcheting tie down strap or two to prevent the tire from rotating on the stand.

I know this isn't politically correct, but I stopped balancing my tires. Was riding a BMW R1200GS with the TPS. Always used Anakee's, no balance mark. The wheel had a huge clump of weights to offset the TPS. For whatever reason I just stopped trying to balance wheel and tire. Ya know, I didn't see any difference on the road or in tire mileage.

Quit riding, sold the GS, sold two relatively new Shoei helmets and my No Mar. It's way easier to quit smoking, drugs or alcohol than to quit riding, so I'm now on a Gen III. What I learned from my No Mar is all I need are some good spoons and I can make a bead breaker.

Hope your tire change went well Intech.
Did mine last weekend and I had a first. The front tire went on and balanced out with no weights what so ever.

I was very skeptical indeed. I had it out for a "spirited ride" this weekend and felt no vibration at all. My rear tire needed 26 grams. It seemed a bit much, but balanced out. My skepticism was thankfully erased. (for the time being)

I also found out that a black paint pen from Michael's does quite well at camouflaging the scratches I managed to "antique" into the rims.

Next tire change on the HF machine, I think I will use a ratcheting tie down strap or two to prevent the tire from rotating on the stand.
I did the front tire first.I just removed and then re-installed the same tire. Quite easy actually. The rear tire was a different story. The bead on the T30 is much stiffer than the Michelins. Getting the rear off was a lot more difficult, but not terrible. Installing a PR3 was simple once I got the technique with the mojolever. I know it will be easier to remove than the T30.