Tire Irons - What is recommended?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Intech

Mr. Camping Meet
Reaction score
I am picking up a changer next week. Not sure there are tire irons with it. (he has everything else) What irons do you changers recommend? Also what rim protectors do you use?

In my shop I use the 16" long motion pro irons with the curved ends. For rim protectors I use pieces of old leather belts with a string tied to them.

I have a pr of 18" irons I bought a long time ago. I love them, especially for changing the rear tire. Longer is better. I use pieces of old detergent bottles or the bottom of tupperware containers. Real men don't need string. They can be fished out if you drop one inside....
rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the feedback. I get that length = leverage. Next question, how many should you have?

And another question what type of weights and where to get them?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a set of 3 Motion Pro tire irons. All slightly different from each other. And I have a set of 4 Motion Pro rim protectors. They have a little retrieval string on them that comes in very handy. All avaialble at motorcycle-superstore, reasonably priced. They also carry a variety of wheel weights.

The Mojolever is great for dismounting the tire, but I have yet to have a whole lot of success mounting one with it. It gets close, but I usually end up using a tire iron or two. This is especially true for those of us doing the darkside thing. As stated, the Mojolever even does a good job of dismounting the CT, but it is all hands on deck with the tire irons for CT mounting. BTW: front tires are easy and the Mojo does a good job with them.

I use the Mojolever for mounting and dismounting. Once you get the hang of it, it works very well for both tasks. I'm at the point where I think I'll get ahold of another set of ends for mine just in case. I don't ever want to be without it in the middle of a job.

Back when I used levers, I managed with one long Motion Pro lever and a short flat one. Two or 3 of the longer ones would definitely be easier. But since getting my NoScuff Tire tool, the levers just gather dust. https://www.no-scufftiretool.com/

Shampoo bottle sides work great for rim protectors and the price is right! ;) Even though I have the fancy plastic rim protectors, I still used the plastic bottles.

I love using the center rib clip on weights because they are reusable and easy to add until balance is achieved. I've never lost one. Dennis posted a link for some, but you can also get them from Yamaha in individual weights.

Mojolever. The one bar that does it all. G-G-G Google it.
Lazy Ass Krauts! From your hard working and generous FJR Forum Irish, aye: https://home.comcast.net/~prestondrake/mojoweb.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuH5BzAR4a4
Well, that's the general idea I guess. Honestly, once you develop the right technique with the Mojolever, you don't have to work half that hard.

Well, that's the general idea I guess. Honestly, once you develop the right technique with the Mojolever, you don't have to work half that hard.
That's it, once you have the technique you can mount anything with a Mojo. I've changed my Mazda3 17" twice, 4Runner 17" once, car, quad, lawnmower...you name it any and [most] all comers!

YMMV

--G

I've been using 3 16" levers and Motion Pro Rim Protectors. However, I just purchased a No-Mar Changer. So no more grunting and groaning with spoons.
punk.gif

As for weights. I use these, cheap and I've never lost one. I use some painters tape to stick them on temporary till I figure out how many and where needed.

Last edited by a moderator: