Adjust stock handlebar position?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketman0

Reaction score
Hi, the handlebar has 3 positions. I read that it's in the middle from the factory.

How much is the distance between each position (front/middle/back)? 1/2"?

Thanks!
mike-

I can't remember the amount of adjustment, but many have commented that it doesn't really feel much different.

I have mine in the back position. I think it might be 1/2 to 3/4's of an inch between settings.

I have mine in the back position. I think it might be 1/2 to 3/4's of an inch between settings.

It is not much but sometimes a little bit can make a big difference. It is also worth noting that IF you follow the very easy instructions on this forum the job takes very little time and not much effort. Plus, it is FREE! What could be better than free?

If you do it and find that it is not enough you can always buy an aftermarket adjustment.

Pop rode his FJR on the stock seat and the bars in the stock position for over 3 years. When we finally made that tiny adjustment he was amazed at how much better it was. Of course we then changed the seat and then we HAD to get the Heli-Bar Bridge and then we had to have a custom seat...

If you wanna get a good visual, turn the handle bars all the way to the stops either way. Look at how much distance there is before the handle bar hits the tank. In the third position, it'll almost touch. :)

Measured my stock triple (I have a Heli installed) and there is 11mm of adjustment. Doesn't seem like much, but I remember the difference (for me) was quite noticeable.

--G

FYI.....loosen BOTH handlebars at the same time. They must be done at the same time. I think I read somewhere on the forum of someone using a screwdriver. That is not necessary if you loosen both as required.

Thank you all for your inputs. I just moved the handlebar to the rearmost position. It was in the middle from the factory. Here are the 2 'before' and 'after' pictures. It was changed, but not drastic. Anything helps, though :)

Before:

8YFF3wWl.jpg

After:

zPoN60Ll.jpg

As a bonus you now know more about the mounting and attachment of the bars than before. Therefore if/when you do risers/bridge you will have a head start and will not be as nervous about tackling the job.

If you want a little more, remove the bars and remove the anti-rotation pin on each bar in the inboard position (although it won't matter much IMHO if you removed the outboard ones instead). Now you can rotate the bars back toward you, and only need to make sure you did both bars the same. Tighten it all up and it will stay where you put it. Did this on mine three years ago.... note, if you don't have risers, ensure the bars don't hit the tank, etc.

Hate to ask such an obvious question but the 2014 ES Yamaha manual only advises to ask dealer to make this adjustment. So, what do I need to do in order to make this adjustment myself?

Thanks!

Madmatt

Hate to ask such an obvious question but the 2014 ES Yamaha manual only advises to ask dealer to make this adjustment. So, what do I need to do in order to make this adjustment myself?
Thanks!

Madmatt
Just be careful...not overly so, but don't go yanking and stripping bolts. This is a not so difficult project.

Thanks!

Madmatt
Just loosen the bolts on both sides but don't remove them. Lift the bar and look under and you will see the pins. Raise bar just enough to clear pins and move the bar to the next hole. Tighten it all down again. That's all there is.