Mr. and Mrs. Pepperell head for the BRP and TOTD

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pepperell

Reaction score
We did the Skyline Drive a while ago (Lesee, Grace was pregnant with our third child at the time; she's 32 now. You do the math.) but only did a couple of hours on the Blue Ridge Parkway. At this rate I'll be back down there when I'm 98!
laugh.gif

We'll be gone from 8/10/14 till 8/18/14. We'll be towing the trailer, since the plan is to camp primarily, and hotel/motel if the weather gets too wretched. I'm travelling fully armed; I have a Golden Age pass and debit/credit cards and I know how to use them!

The plan is I84 thru CT and NY to I81 thru PA to Front Royal. This is the boring part, but we have time limitations here. We may or may not do the Skyline. It'll depend on whether we get to VA in one (loong) day. We don't have any reservations or definate route. Except for Fri and Sat night most campgrounds generally have vacancies. And Hotels.com is our fallback plan.

We'll be dropping bread crumbs with the Nexus 7 LTE to Spotwalla. Navigating with CoPilot and Garmin.

https://spotwalla.com/embed.php?id=adc353e2d79382e63&width=600&height=600&scale=on&zoom=default&refresh=no

20140719_155954_zpstr1uakh4.jpg

I added a Rifle windshield and Hiway pegs (Thanks Garauld) for more comfort.

Would like to make it to the Tail of the Dragon (wherever the heck that is). And back!

Carl & Grace

Just returned from that area and had a blast! Did the 'Dragon' , Skyway, Blue Ridge and Smoky Nat'l. Park. Awesome riding!

BRP is a great ride if you enjoy incredible scenery. If you have a clear day, Mt. Mitchell is worthwhile, IMHO. Hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip.

I always knew Grace was younger then you Carl but 32 is stretching it a bit.

BRP is a nice ride. I had been down there twice and never rode the last 50 miles until NAFO 10.

The guys I went with left early because of the coming rain, and I said By ,and stayed and rode thru Smokey to the BRP.

Very nice , don't skip the southern end it is the best.

Some day I may take the bride down there with me. After all she did make it across the country and back with me last year,with out asking for a divorce.

Jack

A few of us were down there at the end of May...had a blast. Have a great/safe trip. looking forward to the RR & pics.

To clarify, the CHILD is 32; Grace is still 29...

Re pics: what you'll see while we're on the road will be smart fone shots. The glamour shots will be uploaded after we get back.

Thanks for all the kind words, post up anything you think we should visit while we're there.

Mostly we've just been meandering off the highway now and then. Right now we're holed up in a hotel in Strasburg VA due to weather.

We'll be dropping bread crumbs with the Nexus 7 LTE to Spotwalla. Navigating with CoPilot and Garmin.
I was also planning a Nexus 7 farkle (mounted horizontally, though.) Please do share your opinion/experience with it running in daylight.

Thanks! and have fun!

Well, we're slabbin' back nawth. Did the dragon Thurs evening 5:30 6:30 ish. Pics are prolly on RT129 site. Didn't see killboy set up. More later.

Since we camp and eat breakfast and supper in camp, it consumes a good chunk of daylight. That said, it's incredibly cheap. Camping fees are under $20 in state parks, and average $6 in national parks. All parks have had hot showers. The one private camping area we were at was Hunts in Tellico Plains, TN.The facilities were spotless, the best on our trip. Free coffee in the morning, blow dryers and body wash in the rest rooms. Just a great place to camp.

More later after we get back.

...The one private camping area we were at was Hunts in Tellico Plains, TN.The facilities were spotless, the best on our trip. Free coffee in the morning, blow dryers and body wash in the rest rooms. Just a great place to camp...
I still hang out with the Honda V-4 people which includes Jack and Lori Hunt, owners of Hunt's Lodge. At one point Lori needed a project for a college paper. She wrote to the V-4 group and asked about the prospects of doing a paper on a motorcycle only campground. She got lots of encouragement and decided to go with the campground idea. She did surveys about what people would like, want and need in addition to the business aspect of running a campground. Then came some land. Then a TRACTOR :) and construction began. Before the campground was even complete the V-4s started showing up. The Hunt's have done a wonderful job with their pride and joy and I would encourage anyone that camps or wants to camp in a cabin to swing over. If you go to their web site, take a look at the motorcycle brand that is prominent in the picture.