Need ASAP - Track rain tires in NC/VA area

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToyQuest

Reaction score
I know that this request is a long shot but here goes. I’m scheduled to do two days with California Superbike School this upcoming Monday/Tuesday at VIR. It is scheduled to rain a lot over those days.

Does you have or know someone in the NC/VA area that has a spare set of track rain tires? Looking for https://stores.racetireservice.com/DUNLOP-RAIN-SET-120-190/ to go onto a R6. I would drive up to 4 hours one way to pick them up today or Sunday.

Let me know if you have any pointers,
Thanks
Eddie

Thanks, I would not of pictured the Pilot Road 3 as an appropriate wet weather track tire given the mileage profile people get out these tires on the street. Time to start calling around to the Cycle Gear shops...

I didn't get great mileage out of mine, but they stuck like glue. On that R6 you will wanna run lower pressures, but their wet weather performance is awesome.

You might find a super sport tire that will work well in the rain for a lower price. I know the Michelin Q2s are very sticky and around $112 for a front. The biggest difference between rain tires and dry tires is sipes for the water.

I normally run the Dunlop GPAs or the Q3s on the track. While great in the dry, there's not enough sniping to inspire confidence in the wet. ;) Calling around, I found a set of PR3s over in Raleigh, NC with late 2013 date codes. Heading out early tomorrow morning to pick them up. I'll mount them up on the spare rims.

Thanks for the pointer

I really, really want a report on their performance when you are done. I will be watching this thread.

Enjoy your track day, have fun, be safe.

Ok that sucked. Up early this morning, drove ~120 miles one-way to the Cycle Gear in Raleigh only to find out that the sales rep yesterday pulled the wrong tires. He pulled Pilot Powers not Pilot Roads. No PR3/4s in stock. Needless to say CG corporate and I will be having a conversation this week.

Sorry Redfish, no PR3 performance report coming from me. I'll be on Q3s at this point.

So I take it there isn't an R 6 forum?

Oh well good luck.
Lack of planning sometimes is a bother eh?

Last edited by a moderator:
Everything worked out fine running on the Q3s as the rain held off the majority of both days. Even the CSS BMW S1000RR were on Q3s. Only rode one wet session and with the vision drill that session it was not a big deal.