Is this FJR priced right?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USP-45

Reaction score
So here is the deal, I am selling my 2006 FJR through a place in Dallas called High Five Cycles. We have it listed at $6,000 which is where they are telling me it should be, but it has sat there for three months now with no takers. I have told them that I will take $5,500 and to price it as such, but they want to leave it at 6 and deal down if needed. Evidently they have had interest here and there, but no takers. Is 5,500 or 6,000 out of line for this FJR? It is very clean and presents well. We need another atv at our place in East Texas as I just gave my son the one my wife was using but the FJR is just not moving, I just need to see if I am expecting too much. Thanks

43,314 miles

Brand new Pilot Road 4 GT on front (150 miles)

Pilot Road 3 in back about 2,800 miles

Givi tail mount for Givi top case

Throttlemeister bar end throttle lock/cruise control

Heated grips

Throttle tamer

Frame sliders (never used)

Luggage bags for side cases

Blue led accent lights

Connection for battery tender or heated clothing

Throttle spring mod

New plugs at 38k miles along with all fluids

New fork seals at 36k miles

I just looked at NADA and it says average retail is 6400.00 so it seems about right. If they sell it for 6k, how much goes in your pocket. There are lots of bikes for sale out there so if you want it gone bad drop the price other wise be patient.

All of it, long story but another sale got a bit jacked up so they are selling it with no consignment fee's which is not a bad deal. Just taking a while to sell and the 2014 models that I am looking at with the big rebates are getting scarce Hense the impatience starting to creep in. Really has not mattered until here recently.

At 43K miles you should have done the valve clearance checks. The only thing I don't see in your list of features is a maintenance record. Otherwise, i think you're pretty good with price. Might drop it to $5995 just to overcome any 6K resistance. I assume that is the actual list.

I have a sad feeling that the market for Gen2s is flooded right now due to folks "upgrading" to the Gen3.

The silly part is that those bikes are so very good and capable but their worth has been discounted heavily by progress. I think the bike is worth more than that but if it does not sell then the next move should be obvious.

If the seller receives no consignment, what's the incentive to push the bike? Is it being advertised, and if not, it's no wonder no one's looking. If you are truly willing to take $5,500.00 for it, then tell them they can keep every penny above that.

Then watch it sell like a hot cake.

I thought it was in the ball park but wanted to make sure. I will talk to them this next week about next step, maybe it will move once it gets a bit cooler around here. Good thing about Texas is that you can ride nearly year round, a few bad months but not like up north!

Unfortunately you've answered your own question. If the bike has been sitting, then it's priced above what an informed buyer will pay for it. Mileage is probably a turn-off for many.

KBB / NADA pricing doesn't mean squat...the market determines the price. If you truly want it to move, strip all the extras off, price aggressively and make up the difference by flipping the farkles.

BTDT YMMV

good luck!

--G

Sounds high to me. I bought my '05 a couple years ago with 19K miles (just turned 50K Friday
yahoo.gif
) for $6K. If I were to sell my bike, I'd prolly go down toward $5 and see how it goes. (Any offers? Those 2014s are cherry!
smile.png
)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've sold three bikes on Craigslist in short order. If the dealer is not getting a commission why not list it on Craigslist. There is no listing fee or commission there and you will get a good viewing base. remove the Givi mount and sell it on this forum. Leaving it on the bike will not add squat to the resale value of the bike. Post it in the Dallas and Ft Worth listing areas. You have a large population base there.

Plain and simple... the economy just sucks!!, and if you want to sell it, more often than not; KB/NADA is not going to be a good ba$e guideline. Every Jet-Ski, snowmobile and motorcycle that I have sold in the last year?... had to be low-ball sold or even below (or they would still be sitting in my garage!).

Good luck and enjoy your new quad.

Plain and simple... the economy just sucks!!, and if you want to sell it, more often than not; KB/NADA is not going to be a good ba$e guideline. Every Jet-Ski, snowmobile and motorcycle that I have sold in the last year?... had to be low-ball sold or even below (or they would still be sitting in my garage!).
I agree, I'm in the market for an FJR and won't consider anything with over 25000 miles right now because they are the same price as the 50,000 mile bikes. I know nothing is wrong with the 50,000 mile bikes, but it is a buyers market, so we can afford to be choosy. Also, I have been watching the Dallas area on the internet and have not seen your bike. I am assuming the only lookers are walk-ins into the dealership. Craigslist will likely give you more access to interested buyers.

Beary

Thanks for the feedback guys, I just talked to the owner of the dealership who has the motorcycle and they just reduced the price to $5,500 on their site and it is being reduced on cycletrader and going on craigslist. Hopefully it will sell before too long, I just have to be patient. She also mentioned that the salesperson will be paid for selling it even if the shop is not making money, I actually offered to pay the salesman a commision to help get it sold but she said that would not be neccissary and she would take care of them.

I guess the credit crunch really did hurt, I have it priced at $5,300 and 4 people have tried to buy it. None of them could get approved. Guess it is a good thing that i do not have to sell as it might end up going next spring at this rate!

It'll move at $5k, that's a good deal for someone looking to buy a FJR!

--G

Edit -- For that price, strip all the farkles off and sell it stock. Once the bike sells, flip the extras here.

That CL ad is a little silly.

1. There's no mileage listed.

2. EVERYTHING IS IN CAPS, HOW ANNOYING

3. Move the bike 3 feet to the side into the sun and retake the photos.

4. List the extras!

From someone who bought an FJR off CL this year, these would be reasons that I would gloss over this ad and buy someone else's bike.

I might have to talk to them about that. As of right now I am expecting that it might be spring before it sells. I would like it to go before then, but if not that's OK as I am not under pressure to do so. I would like to buy another atv but they will be around next spring too.