iphone mount suggestions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreyGoose

Reaction score
Looking for some suggestions for low cost iphone mounting to fjr. Now that i started using the app called "waze" to track traffic and police, i'm finding i really would like access to the device while riding. Many of the typical universal handlebar mounts available are too wide to fit around the bars between the brake lever/clutch lever brackets. Ram mount sells an interesting product, but i've already got my garmin positioned in the middle of my bars, so adding another isnt optimum (along with the additional 60 bucks for the mount).

would like to hear what the rest of this crew is using for iphone mounting. BTW: if you haven't checked into waze, its worth a look. free real time updates to police and traffic sightings.

thanks

Greygoose

Last edited by a moderator:
www.rammount.com

They have a way to mount just about anything. I have a ram ball for mounting iPhone and 2 way radio. One is in the threaded hole by the clutch reservoir the other is in the triple tree by the ignition.

Grey, I have a similar set up with the garmin in the middle on an X-Grip. It sits between my bars. It basically hovers over the key area. That Ram mount comes from the right side. My iPhone in an otter box is in an X-Grip above the left clutch reservoir. I use it for spotify, phone calls, and video. It is as easy as using a turn signal to kick the video on. It shoots right through the shield. The x-grip is expensive , but so versatile.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck

I do pretty much the same as you. I run waze in the background so I get the alerts through my bluetooth but run google maps up front so I can see far enough ahead of me to make route changes. I use the aforementioned RAM X-Mount. I like it so much I just installed one in my wife's car since she uses her phone as her GPS a lot.

This is a shot of me going around a bad accident here in town. Thankfully my phone showed this to me and I was able to re-route and avoid all that traffic.

1017014_10201873288304187_1393432365_n_zpsa874e61b.jpg

If you go with the Ram X-Grip, just be sure to tether or strap in your phone. I have had my 4s ejected from the grip 2x now in about 1,500 mi of use. First time it hit the ground at ~45MPH (it survived but the back is shattered). The second was at ~65MPH, but luckily was on the charger and the lock in cable connection on the older 4s phone cord saved it. I now only use it if tethered on the power chord or add rubber band straping it to the holder.

Is a very nice mount, but hard to recommend for MC use given the phone/GPS it holds can be launched out. Both times for me were result of had jarring type impacts. Not your common bumpy road / vibrations as the phone/gps stays put and I have never seen it move or slowly work its way out. Things like very large seams or gaps transitioning road surfaces at bridges and the like can send it flying out.

That's odd, mine has never budged on the two android phones I've put in it. We even have a member who crashed their bike and the phone was still in the x-mount afterwards. I wonder what caused your ejections. Do you have any type of case on it? I wonder if it has a slick surface or something or if your x-mount is defective at all. Mine has taken some serious bumps and never moved, I do have mine in an otterbox case so the surface of it may help with holding it in.

Ram Bone + X-Mount, justed used Waze to my advantage on my recent BBG with zero problems.

Battery Tender makes a USB outlet which connects to the wire coming off the battery - I just run a standard USB lightning connector off of that to my phone, and it works great.

No vibrations, no problems, great line of sight. Helped me with rush hour traffic around Kansas City.

Totally agree with the rock solidness of the mount. I have had mine for 15k miles. Rode from Illinois thru the Dragon to Jacksonville fl. Back through the dragon and even went on some gravel washboard. The roads are horrible in Illinois because our government is so broke and things like infrastructure do not get updated. My buddy and I went to south dakota and on to California. I never had one concern with the stability of either the phone or the gps. My gps is a 5 in screen. My phone has an otterbox armor series case. Tether if you want but I don't feel I need to. If I wreck, I expect it to fall off but won't be surprised if I have to walk over to the bike to pull it off of the mount.

I guess this is where I should use the YMMV.

good luck

My phone is in a basic rubber sleeve type case. I have wondered about this as well, but when in the mount I cannot pull or slide it out so I have doubted that the case is the result of the incidents. I have yet to use it out of the rubber sleeve as a test (as it is also what saved the phone the one time it hit the ground).

The second time it came out of the ram holder I was watching it at the time. The phone was fully seated in the mount properly. It came out ,flipped up in the air and landed on the tank.

I have seen and heard of a few other incidents as well. Was it due to a particular case on the device, perhaps user error not having the device seated properly, etc… Don’t know , just be careful when using the mount. I was a 500 miles from home on the first day of a week long ride when my phone hit the ground. First thought was how do I survive without “this” phone for a week not about the $ of replacement. Yu can always get a disposabel no-contract phone basic about anywhere, but your primay phone that is tied to your "life" may not be replacable on the spot.

I haven't looked, are there different sized xmounts? The Iphone is pretty small compared to today's android phones, maybe that is playing a part in it. With a larger phone the x mount will be spread more and the springs will be putting more pressure and securing it better. I dunno, that's my theory.

Oh yea, in my image above, the x-mount is attached to a ram bone as well.

I'm pretty sure there are 2 sizes of X-Grip mounts. I have what I think is the small one and an Iphone 4S. Over 50,000 miles and a lot of gravel roads and never did it move a bit. Mine is mounted vertically but if mounted horizontally it is even less likely to fall out.

If you go with the Ram X-Grip, just be sure to tether or strap in your phone. I have had my 4s ejected from the grip 2x now in about 1,500 mi of use. First time it hit the ground at ~45MPH (it survived but the back is shattered). The second was at ~65MPH, but luckily was on the charger and the lock in cable connection on the older 4s phone cord saved it. I now only use it if tethered on the power chord or add rubber band straping it to the holder.
Is a very nice mount, but hard to recommend for MC use given the phone/GPS it holds can be launched out. Both times for me were result of had jarring type impacts. Not your common bumpy road / vibrations as the phone/gps stays put and I have never seen it move or slowly work its way out. Things like very large seams or gaps transitioning road surfaces at bridges and the like can send it flying out.
I run an X-Grip on my Tenere, and have used it running on dirt roads. Never had an issue with it coming loose.

I riveted a ram ball to the back of the my Otter Box Defender belt clip. Ram ball is riveted to the belt clip part and the clip is glued closed. Very positive lock-in for the phone.

Iphone 5, but in theory should be doable for any phone in an Otter Box Defender.

Ram-Bone + X-Grip for me......

I do like the looks of that TechMount from Bike Effects...... one thing to note, with the ram bone & Xgrip, the phone does not turn with the handlebars...

Whether or not that matters to anyone...