How to best power a heated vest?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketman0

Reaction score
I like to wire a power to supply my Widder heated vest that I know I will need when the weather gets cold.

What is the best way to wire it? On my CBR-1100XX, I just wire a pair of fused wires directly to the battery and run them out from under the seat since the battery was under the seat on the Honda. Should I do the same by connecting it directly to the battery in front on the FJR?

I don't have a fuse box yet. Should I get a Fuzeblock now that I start to farkle and run the power leads out from the box to feed the vest?

The vest is rated at 73 W = 73/12 = 6A

Thanks!
mike-

Last edited by a moderator:
The easiest way is to fuse a battery tender cable, and plug into that.

If you have a bunch of extra electrical equipment then the best way would be to buy a Fuzeblock, or similar, and power your ancillary electrical stuff from that.

The easiest way is to fuse a battery tender cable, and plug into that.
If you have a bunch of extra electrical equipment then the best way would be to buy a Fuzeblock, or similar, and power your ancillary electrical stuff from that.
Thanks. I think I'll run it from the battery first. Do I just leave the plug in the front fairing area and plug my vest into it whenever I need it or should I run it all the way back to the seating area?

I'm sorry for the dumb question. This is my 1st FJR, you know :)

you answered your own question. Getter Dun! Good spot for battery tender lead too.

Thanks. I have a set of SAE fused wires. I can use it to run my Slime compressor or charge the battery.

Cool!

What gauge wire should I use if I want to run the vest, the compressor and charge the battery with the same wires (not at the same time of course)? 12 gauge?

. Do I just leave the plug in the front fairing area and plug my vest into it whenever I need it or should I run it all the way back to the seating area?
Depends if a wire dangling from your vest bothers you if it's wires lead to the front area or under your seat. Many use electrics occasionally and go with whatever is easiest.

Asking the "best" is very subjective. I personally chose the added expense and convenience of a PowerLet setup built for the FJR that does on the subframe underneath my left hip, but it's also more work. And I have a controller because it's "better" than not having one. And I bailed on Widder a long time ago because they're not "better" than Warm N' Safe in IMO.

In true forum form; to answer your question, I would use electricity!

In all seriousness, the previous owner of my bike was/is an electrical engineer. He has a tender cable directly off the battery to power vests and the like. I don't need a heated vest as of yet, but I do run my phone charger, gps, and charge my helmet all from a four socket to aux cig outlet that goes to the tender cable that runs from the battery, under the tank, then into the glovebox.

The guy obviously knows a lot more than me, so I just didn't mess it up. Just tweaked it to fit my electronics.

... Do I just leave the plug in the front fairing area and plug my vest into it whenever I need it or should I run it all the way back to the seating area?...
I trail a wire out from under the front seat with the socket just behind the front seat.

(Click on image for larger view)

Easy to plug in when on the bike, pulls out easily if I forget it's there when dismounting. When not being used, it hides under the edge of the seat, and in summer I tuck it under the seat so it's not hanging out at all.

Widder??? You are ancient.
haha. I know. I bought it back in 1996 when I first started riding and it works great ever since after several bikes and I kept transferring to the new bike I bought. Of course being in Southern California I use it only may be a month or 2 every year.

. Do I just leave the plug in the front fairing area and plug my vest into it whenever I need it or should I run it all the way back to the seating area?
Depends if a wire dangling from your vest bothers you if it's wires lead to the front area or under your seat. Many use electrics occasionally and go with whatever is easiest.

Asking the "best" is very subjective. I personally chose the added expense and convenience of a PowerLet setup built for the FJR that does on the subframe underneath my left hip, but it's also more work. And I have a controller because it's "better" than not having one. And I bailed on Widder a long time ago because they're not "better" than Warm N' Safe in IMO.
... Do I just leave the plug in the front fairing area and plug my vest into it whenever I need it or should I run it all the way back to the seating area?...
I trail a wire out from under the front seat with the socket just behind the front seat.

Easy to plug in when on the bike, pulls out easily if I forget it's there when dismounting. When not being used, it hides under the edge of the seat, and in summer I tuck it under the seat so it's not hanging out at all.

Thank you. That helps. Now I need to figure out how to remove the right side fairing to access the battery.

It sounds easy from the owner's manual to remove just the right side panel that's on top of the battery then fish it all the way to the back...

From this table (https://www.offroaders.com/tech/12-volt-wire-gauge-amps.htm), it seems that I will need to run a 14-18 gauge if I want to carry 15A 12V (so that I can use the same wire to power the Slime compressor). Does it sound right?

Iggy hit it on the head with a dual Powerlet connection under the seat. Slick set-up and provides power for my heated jacket, phone charging and Battery Tender.

Have fun!

--G

Thanks! I think I saw the dual powerlet for the FJR on Motorcycle Larry's site.

What is this 'controller' that you were talking about?

Note that the dual powerlet will not fit on the 2014 ES due to the different shock taking up some space there.

Widder??? You are ancient.
haha. I know. I bought it back in 1996 when I first started riding and it works great ever since after several bikes and I kept transferring to the new bike I bought. Of course being in Southern California I use it only may be a month or 2 every year.
HA! Got you beat. I still have one from 1983 (and one from 2000) and with it's hi/lo switch, still works fine! I spliced on an SAE plug since Widder plugs are long gone. Oh, and I run it off of an Easter Beaver PC8 fuse panel since I needed about 5 circuits for other farkles as well.

Thank you. That helps. Now I need to figure out how to remove the right side fairing to access the battery.

It sounds easy from the owner's manual to remove just the right side panel that's on top of the battery then fish it all the way to the back...

One option is to thread the wire through under the tank, the red wire shown in this picture:

But I'd suggest following the original loom, although It does require removing plastic.

From under the saddle, down the right side, then thread through to beside the radiator and up to the fuse/coil area by the battery.

It can all be neatly tied to the original loom, and use any of the original clips.

(Pictures taken during my CCS-100 installation.)

To remove the lower right fairing isn't all that difficult, I have a sequence of pictures starting about here (use the "next" link to sequence them, use the "more" link to see thumbnails).

Removing the rear side panel is detailed in your owner's manual (look for accessing the rear brake reservoir), also how to access the battery.

To lift the tank I would refer you to this topic, make sure you slacken the rear mounting bolt (see here).

Note that the dual powerlet will not fit on the 2014 ES due to the different shock taking up some space there.
Thanks. Mine is a 2014 A, not the ES.

It can all be neatly tied to the original loom, and use any of the original clips.

(Pictures taken during my CCS-100 installation.)

To remove the lower right fairing isn't all that difficult, I have a sequence of pictures starting about here (use the "next" link to sequence them, use the "more" link to see thumbnails).

Removing the rear side panel is detailed in your owner's manual (look for accessing the rear brake reservoir), also how to access the battery.

To lift the tank I would refer you to this topic, make sure you slacken the rear mounting bolt (see here).
Thank you so much! For now, I may just put 2 wires inside a heat-resistant tubing and fish it from the battery to the seat.

Also, if there is room in front, I'll put a Fuzeblock box there later.

It doesn't make sense having to run wires from the battery to a fuse box under the seat then run wires from the box to the front to power things (lights, GPS, phone etc...)? Is the reason to put a fuse box under the seat because there is no room in front?

Thank you all!

mike