Can One Fork Be As Good As Two?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WBill

Reaction score
After having my Gen 1 forks rebuilt, I've been contemplating the Gen 3 forks. My mind wanders out on the slab.

As I understand it, one Gen 3 fork has an adjustment for compression damping, and the other has the adjustment for rebound damping. How can this be as good as having both adjustments on both forks? Do Gen 3 forks share their oil? (I really did do a search but couldn't find the topic addressed directly) I guess I just don't get it. WBill

The forks both act on the same point ... the front axle. Rigidity is the key.

In theory this should work ... in practise it might simply be Yamaha's way of reducing costs ... but it still should work. How well, time will tell.

With linked brakes it was usual for the application of the rear brake to also activate a pair of pistons on one side of the front wheel. Some folk didn't like that, but not because it caused any kind of uneven braking.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2014 FJR1300A has compression/rebound only on the right fork. The left fork has nothing except preload.

I meant, right fork has preload/compression/rebound. Left fork has only preload.

I suspect that, if you're really concerned, you could order the appropriate right-fork components, stuff them into the left fork, and dream pleasant dreams once more.

The 2014 FJR1300A has compression/rebound only on the right fork. The left fork has nothing except preload.
I meant, right fork has preload/compression/rebound. Left fork has only preload.
Is there oil in both legs? I would expect that the left fork leg has some level of compression and rebound damping, though light, and is not adjustable.

Now I'm off to the parts fiche to see what's in there.

Yep, oil in both legs. Having come from an '05 I like the front end better on my '13. The Ohlins cured any ills out back. Just back from 3700 mile trip I'll take my '13 over my '05 any day of the week.

It works.

Don't quote me on this but I am fairly certain other major manufacturers do this also. And Yamaha does it on the R1, so it can't be all bad.

Now what is really interesting is supposedly the ES forks only have a spring in one fork! That sounds crazy but I can tell you from riding both the A version and the ES version quite a bit the ES version works better. But I haven't verified this yet.

Now what is really interesting is supposedly the ES forks only have a spring in one fork! That sounds crazy but I can tell you from riding both the A version and the ES version quite a bit the ES version works better.
After riding the A version for 12K miles and the ES for 1200, I concur the ES forks work better but it has nothing to do with the springs or damping and everything to do with the ES's very rigid inverted forks.

<snip> Now what is really interesting is supposedly the ES forks only have a spring in one fork! That sounds crazy but I can tell you from riding both the A version and the ES version quite a bit the ES version works better. But I haven't verified this yet.
Parts Fiche shows complete fork assembly + breakdown parts for LH fork. Complete RH fork pricing as well as duplicate parts are referenced for the RH fork. With duplicate pricing I'd say they're similar (less dampening) on both sides...springs and all!

Too bad the inverted forks are so expensive - a (modified) pair would look really good on my '09!

--G

Now what is really interesting is supposedly the ES forks only have a spring in one fork! That sounds crazy but I can tell you from riding both the A version and the ES version quite a bit the ES version works better.
After riding the A version for 12K miles and the ES for 1200, I concur the ES forks work better but it has nothing to do with the springs or damping and everything to do with the ES's very rigid inverted forks.

I am not convinced about your statement, but I will defer until I can figure out definitely otherwise.

Oh, and I just went to a parts diagram that shows two springs for the ES front forks so previous information otherwise seems erroneous. A different part number for the springs between the two, but two springs for each nonetheless.

So when is somebody going to figure out how to adapt the USD forks of the ES to a normal suspension of the A?

You silly bastard! I didn't know you bought an ES! I am assuming you no longer have your '13?

So when is somebody going to figure out how to adapt the USD forks of the ES to a normal suspension of the A?
...already working on it!
coolsmiley02.gif
punk.gif

--G

You silly bastard! I didn't know you bought an ES! I am assuming you no longer have your '13?
You shouldn't assume......I actually traded my 08 for the ES......now I need to find a volunteer to help me compare the 13 and 14 in some real world riding conditions. I can ride them back to back from my garage but I am a bit limited by smooth straight roads.

...already working on it!
coolsmiley02.gif
punk.gif

--G
You are a good man George!

You shouldn't assume......I actually traded my 08 for the ES......now I need to find a volunteer to help me compare the 13 and 14 in some real world riding conditions. I can ride them back to back from my garage but I am a bit limited by smooth straight roads.
And you are a lucky man Steve! TWO Gen IIIs in the garage? You bastard!

And you are a lucky man Steve! TWO Gen IIIs in the garage? You bastard!
Yes, and they are very sweet. I also have my C14 sitting in the corner gathering dust but it makes for a good comparison bike. As much as I have enjoyed the '13, I do not think it has the C14's high speed stability. The ES has that stability and it is really easy to ride at speed.

I am not convinced about your statement, but I will defer until I can figure out definitely otherwise.
What is the confusion?

Upside-down forks pretty much always work better than regular forks. They are also more difficult, and more expensive to make.

They reduce the unsprung weight a lot, making the steering much more responsive and direct. They give the front suspension an easier time, and they are more rigid, further improving both steering response and accuracy of the suspension.

They should help put the "sport" into "sports-touring", even though the FJR is still a bit porky alongside a full sports bike.