Electrical/Garmin Problem

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flylooper

Reaction score
I am still using my old Garmin 2610 for my bike. After thinking about upgrading, I really don't see any reason to buy a new one - unless I have to.

However. the power cord is beginning to show its age. The shielding has pulled away from the actual plug and I can now see the small 20 ga wires. It's just a matter of time when the small wires will make break. New cords are like 28 bucks apiece and I need two of 'em, (For Powerlet and regular cigar lighter receptacles). Plus, there's no guarantee I won't have the same problem in a while.

Does anyone know of any kind of goop - hot or cold - I can pour on the exposed wires which will bond to the original shielding and also with the plug? (Electrical tape just doesn't stabilize the exposed wires.) This problem exists at both ends of the power cord.

Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
I had some stuff from Orchard Supply which was bought out by Lowes. It was called "Liquid electrical Tape"

It came in a small can with a brush.

If there is sufficient room to get tape on it, some 3M Self-Amalgamating tape would create a complete seal.

Liquid Tape should work for you. If the copper is not exposed then a good epoxy might be stronger.

Hey Flylooper, you're one cheap S.O.B.! Take a look for some liquid electric tape, and that might do the trick. The cheapest place is Harbor Freight.

FWIW, your maps, POIs and software are outdated by about 8-years and while I really respect the Streetpilot series, the 2610 does not accept modern maps. If you ever want to update, Garmin will probably spot you a 20% discount on any GPS you want to replace it with. I got the Zumo 590 with the product replacement program, and still have it to sell.

I may be able to help you out with some lower cost replacement cords.

Does the cig lighter cord have the attached speaker?

Hey Flylooper, you're one cheap S.O.B.! Take a look for some liquid electric tape, and that might do the trick. The cheapest place is Harbor Freight.
FWIW, your maps, POIs and software are outdated by about 8-years and while I really respect the Streetpilot series, the 2610 does not accept modern maps. If you ever want to update, Garmin will probably spot you a 20% discount on any GPS you want to replace it with. I got the Zumo 590 with the product replacement program, and still have it to sell.
Yeah, the 2610 still accepts the latest maps. You can't get the entire map on unless you get the Russian 2GB upgrade.

Hey Twigg. I don't think the 2610 will accept City Navigator NT maps (aka NuMaps) the 27xx + Streetpilot series do. I might be wrong, but the 26xx series used the older version maps. (City Navigator 2008 and earlier).

There's very little wrong with 8 year old maps. The roads don't change that fast. The only problem is the list of gas stations and lodging and such.

Yeah, there is nothing after 2008 or so for the 2610.

You can still get power cables for it, though.... any of the 2600 or 2700 units use the same cable.

I have been using a 10 or so year old Quest that I just retired. I looked at the Zumos and Streetpilots but went with the Nuvi 2797LMT so I could use it in the car or on the bike (I bought a few mounting & rain-cover options to see which works best). After registering it I realized I should have bought stock in Garmin......I own 4 automotive units, 1 handheld and 1 wristwatch style (for running). My question is does anyone have experience in integrating the Garmin voice commands through the Sena intercom system (through Bluetooth maybe)?

VB_FJR, the Nuvi 2797 has no headphone jack or line-out option, so even though it pairs with a phone, the only way to hear it (and your phone calls) is through the internal GPS speaker. It was made for automotive use, and just a few Nuvi models like the 765T were designed with headphone line-out and microphone jacks and A2DT Bluetooth to sync a BT helmet and phone. All Zumos and the Streetpilot 2820 units do give you Bluetooth GPS voice, and music in your helmet and are built for the motorcycle environment.

You got a really nice GPS unit, but Garmin has been careful in recent years to not include motorcycle friendly features like waterproof construction, BT helmet sync and audio out ports on non-motorcycle (less expensive) units.

It is still possible to get a Nuvi 765T used or refurbished, and it is the closest you can get to a Zumo without spending the Zumo coin. That said, it is still not a Zumo or Streetpilot 2820.

Hey Twigg. I don't think the 2610 will accept City Navigator NT maps (aka NuMaps) the 27xx + Streetpilot series do. I might be wrong, but the 26xx series used the older version maps. (City Navigator 2008 and earlier).
You may be right, I may be crazy ...
smile.png

If there is sufficient room to get tape on it, some 3M Self-Amalgamating tape would create a complete seal.
How much time did you spend in the UK?

Now you are asking .... I think I paid about $15 for the roll, back in the early nineties .... I am still using that same roll, it goes a long way and is superb stuff.

Oops! Mis-read ... I spent 45 years in the UK :D

VB_FJR, the Nuvi 2797 has no headphone jack or line-out option, so even though it pairs with a phone, the only way to hear it (and your phone calls) is through the internal GPS speaker. It was made for automotive use, and just a few Nuvi models like the 765T were designed with headphone line-out and microphone jacks and A2DT Bluetooth to sync a BT helmet and phone. All Zumos and the Streetpilot 2820 units do give you Bluetooth GPS voice, and music in your helmet and are built for the motorcycle environment.
You got a really nice GPS unit, but Garmin has been careful in recent years to not include motorcycle friendly features like waterproof construction, BT helmet sync and audio out ports on non-motorcycle (less expensive) units.

It is still possible to get a Nuvi 765T used or refurbished, and it is the closest you can get to a Zumo without spending the Zumo coin. That said, it is still not a Zumo or Streetpilot 2820.
Be aware that the 765T will still not handle the phone over bluetooth on a bike because Garmin refuses to route the microphone to the headset. Other than that it is as close to the Zumo 550 as you can get without spending $500

You may be right, I may be crazy ...
smile.png
But it just may be a lunatic you're looking for

Turn out the light

Don't try to save me

You may be wrong for all I know

But you may be right

Sorry, I just couldn't leave the rest of that response unsaid.
rolleyes.gif

You're right on the 765T. I used it for a few years, and had good GPS and music functionality, but the phone was problematic. At least it was better then the Nuvi 660 that came before the 765T, then came the Streetpilot 2820, and finally the Zumo 590LM. Imagine how much I could have saved, if I wasn't trying to save, and just got the right tool for the job the first time.

Queue some Billy Joel on the MP3 and Bluetooth.

smile.png
Cheap? Hah! I'm just a poor old retired guy who barely gets by on SS and a few investments, so "cheap" has become a way of life. As for the 2610, It really does the job for what I need it to do. Most addresses are still on the map. I've yet to disappointed. Truth told, I use it more as a speedometer than as an address finder. The numbers are nice and big—and accurate, to boot. Cripes, I can hardly see the numbers on the FJR's speedo. They're too close and too far away for my bifocals to pick up.

[rant] Plus this: I REALLY resent these manufacturers who make "things" continually building obsolescence into their products so that what you buy now is old in a year or two. Just about everything we buy these days we are told is old by whomever built the first iteration of something, whether its golf clubs, fishing rods, WIndows XP...or GPS's.

I bought my 2610 years ago, yes. Then I bought a dash shelf and mount for it. Now Garmin won't even support their older products anymore (Like Microsoft) and they want us to go out an drop some more money on them for a "new, improved" version of what works just fine for me. (Except for the cords). I'm perfectly happy with 2-dimensional maps for criminy sakes. In fact, I prefer that format.

My previous bike, a Concours 1000, was made for 20 straight years with hardly any changes in it. Buyers were happy to know they didn't own an old bike (relative to succeeding model years) and Kawasaki make a bundle from not having to retool every year or add farkles of one kind or another. I switched to the Feej simply because I got tired of looking at the old Kawi and just wanted something a little more exciting. [/rant]

Well, sorry to tee off, but it's early in the morning and I've not had enough coffee to get out of this chair and do something productive.
smile.png

To all, thanks for the tip on the liquid tape thing. I thought such a product might exist and now I'll run to the hardware store and get some and see how it works out. I really like "workarounds."