MRA X-screen

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketman0

Reaction score
I just received and installed a MRA X-creen on my 2014 FJR.

It has lots of adjustability so I'm still fine tuning it. I ordered the one with clamp and it comes with both mounts: a bolt-on mount and a clamp-on mount. The clamp-on mount puts the spoiler higher, while the bolt-on mount can be mounted lower if I want to. I think I may go to the bolt-on mount. The clamp-on mount puts the top of the spoiler at about 3" above the stock windshield (and it can be raised higher of course).

I think I like to drill and install the bolt-on mount. How do I safely drill holes on the stock screen without cracking it?

Here are some pics:

lJuw9v9l.jpg

njJOrrcl.jpg

0J62LA5l.jpg

njJOrrcl.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Use a sharp bit at high speed. Place tape on each side of the screen before you drill. Don't use a lot of.pressure, but you shouldn't need much. The tape and good bit should give you a nice clean hole. If you get any chips, just touch it with a countersink.

Thanks. Any drill bit for metal is fine? I only need to drill 4 6mm (1/4") holes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, use the drill bit at low speed or you will melt the plastic.

I too have the MRA X-Creen. I fitted it to the V-Stream shield on my '05. I also had it on the Venture Royale. On the VR it did a great job of adding some adjustability, and reducing much of the buffeting.

On the FJR I found it to be superfluous. The FJR screen moves and it is open at the bottom, reducing the "vacuum effect" to zero. The problem was that the screen mounting didn't much like having that extra piece on top, and moved back and forth way more than I was comfortable with. For my 750 mile sprint home I removed it at a gas station, and never notice it was missing except that the screen calmed down.

It may vary for each screen and rider, but with my set-up I no longer need it.

Yeah, use the drill bit at low speed or you will melt the plastic.
I too have the MRA X-Creen. I fitted it to the V-Stream shield on my '05. I also had it on the Venture Royale. On the VR it did a great job of adding some adjustability, and reducing much of the buffeting.

On the FJR I found it to be superfluous. The FJR screen moves and it is open at the bottom, reducing the "vacuum effect" to zero. The problem was that the screen mounting didn't much like having that extra piece on top, and moved back and forth way more than I was comfortable with. For my 750 mile sprint home I removed it at a gas station, and never notice it was missing except that the screen calmed down.

It may vary for each screen and rider, but with my set-up I no longer need it.
Thanks Twigg, where you using the clamp-on or bolt-on x-creen at the time?

Bolt on.

I now have four neat holes in my windshield. They don't bother me a bit.

I finally drilled 4 holes and bolted it on. I like it much better. I set it up to provide a reverse flip and it works better than stock for me. Still experimenting with different positions.

iebvXvcl.jpg