Selling Everything - Traveling North America on my FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wine Guy

More throttle, less brake
Reaction score
Has anyone considered selling everything and traveling North America on their FJR? I've been downsized after 17 years with my company and am looking for my next chapter. Any thoughts, encouragement, experiences?

The thought occurs to me almost everyday. Then I wake up. Sorry for the bad news. I definitely would plan a trip at least.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Many dream it, few are brave enough to do it. I hope you are one of the brave ones and allow us to follow along with you on the adventure.

It really isn't feasible for most, as there's wife, children, career, mortgage, etc..

If it was feasible, probably only 20% would seriously consider it (planning) and only 5% would actually do it.

If you are able and willing, then start planning it now, and hopefully you'll make the 5%. I really look forward to seeing how this plays out, preferably with the trip of a lifetime!

Sorry for the job downsizing. I have amped up my search as the severance runs low, so I kinda get it. The unfortunate coincidence is that shortly after you discover you have more time, you also find you have less money. Go for it if you can.

Go to sport-touring.net under ride reports & look at Sold our house gone riding thred. A young couple who been go'n all over N & S America on bmw's

Sorry to hear about the job situation, and even more sorry to go against the grain here, but I think you should focus your efforts on finding new employment. You can travel some and see the continent in sections a couple of weeks at a time. But it requires money. Take a week or two for a nice vacation ride to clear your head, but don't stay out of the job market any longer than necessary.

Go for it.

Life's too short to worry about bills.

We don't know how much time we have to ride, let alone live!

Live life as if there were no tomorrow.

Enjoy, and let us in on your fun.

You asked for "any thoughts." I'd be concerned that there's going to be a paycheck coming in when the fun was done. But as much as I enjoy a trip once in a while, I'd prefer to see America a little at a time. For me, being out on the road is expensive. It's not hard to drop 120 per day on food, gas, and a place to snooze each day. That's getting close to 900 a week, not including the cost of sight seeing and fun stuff. But that's just me. I gotta admit, there's something to be said about seeing America. As I was reminded once again last summer, there's a lot to see. Question is, can you afford it? Will you look back on the experience feeling glad ya finally did it, or will you be kicking yourself for spending so much of your hard-earned dough? What about just going for a month or so? Do ya really need to indeed, "sell it all?"

Probably just me, but I found that after being away for about 3 weeks, I get itchin' to get back home. As Dorothy put it so well those many years ago, "There's no place like home."

Gary

darksider #44

I think about it every day.

When Panman and I were doing our BC / Alaska trip in 2011, we met a rider from Colorado doing the same thing. He was just laid off work, needed to clear his head and take a break so he bought a GS and was traveling. When we ran into him in Watson Lake, he had been on the road about a month with no particular place to go or time to be done. He was going to ride until he got tired or ran out of money...whichever came first.

While I wouldn't necessarily recommend running out of money, if you have a strong skill set and easily land a job, what is there to lose?

What does Nike say...

just-do-it-hed-2013_zpsc35eaf8e.jpg

--G

Read "Ghost Rider" by Neil Peart. Of course he has more money than you, probably. Then read "Jupiter's Travels" by Ted Simon. Somewhere in the middle you might find your plan.

(If I was doing it, I'd think about getting a trailer.)

And by the way, Todd and Buzz always just got a job in one of the local stores or restaurants. :)

Has anyone considered selling everything and traveling North America on their FJR? I've been downsized after 17 years with my company and am looking for my next chapter. Any thoughts, encouragement, experiences?
I would do it, at least for a few months, if I had a compatible riding partner to share costs and experiences. Don't need to sell anything but I have a big yard someone has to take care of while I'm gone.

If you're looking for usable advice, we gotta know more about your situation. Otherwise, that's a very wide open question.

Presume you are single. How old? What is your profession and when would you need to work again?

What would you have to sell? House/cars/stocks/personal stuff? Should you sell those items and what is the cost of doing so? Would that net you enough, and for how long? Have you saved enough for retirement?

What about health care? What about visas?

Lots to think about. Let's say you decide to go for it. What's your "business" plan? How much will you start with? What do you need to buy to get started?

Now for your travel and expenses. Where will you stay? Camping, hostel, or hotel? How much will you ride each day? Can you DIY your repairs and service or do you need to see a dealer? Lots of questions to answer whether you can survive on your anticipated budget.

Now, what happens if something goes astray: the bike gets totaled or you get injured. What's your backup plan?

Finally, what does it look like when you are done? Meaning, when will the "great ride" come to an end, and when it does, what will you need after it ends?

If you are going to get serious about this, you've gotta have a plan.

If you're looking for usable advice, we gotta know more about your situation. Otherwise, that's a very wide open question.
Presume you are single. How old? What is your profession and when would you need to work again?

What would you have to sell? House/cars/stocks/personal stuff? Should you sell those items and what is the cost of doing so? Would that net you enough, and for how long? Have you saved enough for retirement?

Lots to think about. Let's say you decide to go for it. What's your "business" plan? How much will you start with? What do you need to buy to get started?

Now for your travel and expenses. Where will you stay? Camping, hostel, or hotel? How much will you ride each day? Can you DIY your repairs and service or do you need to see a dealer? Lots of questions to answer whether you can survive on your anticipated budget.

Now, what happens if something goes astray: the bike gets totaled or you get injured. What's your backup plan?

Finally, what does it look like when you are done? Meaning, when will the "great ride" come to an end, and when it does, what will you need after it ends?

Now I know why I have never done anything like this.....packing clothes for a 7 day trip is about the limit of my planning.

"Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose."

If that's true, none of us is truly free until 6 friends grab a handle and carry us to that hole in the ground - the one that waits for us all.

In the meanwhile, you need to ask yourself if you are ready to make "cold, tired, hungry, and lonely" your four best friends. Have you spent much time with them?

Take some time, put your stuff in storage, and hit the road for a while. Give yourself a month or two, or a blizzard, to find out what it takes to survive.

until 6 friends grab a handle and carry us to that hole in the ground
Crap, I can't even think of a trip like this. I need to start concentrating on finding 4 more friends!

Seriously though, you need to explain you personal situation in more detail if you're going to get any responses that pertain to your situation.

Now you ruined it, your making to much sense.
fool.gif

A lot depends on what can you live with at the end of the day. Are you ready to lower your standard of living once you decide to stop riding. Could you possibly move to another area where things are much cheaper to live. Housing on the east and west coast is much higher in value than some of the states in the middle of the country. I could easily put a 100K in my pocket if I moved to Tennessee for example from where I live now. There are a lot choices to make and if it was just me to worry about I could easily do it without hesitation. Since I have a wife and children it is out of the question for now. So I keep dreaming.

Good luck,

Dave