Mass Guzzi Rally + Civil Warring

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MojoGuzzi

Reaction score
Last weekend I went to the 2014 Massachussetts Moto Guzzi Rally in Western Mass. Location was the Noble View Outdoor Center. It was a great place to be for a rally!

I rode up west of the DC/Phila traffic suck. Instead, I went up I-95 to US 17 to US 15, around Leesburg, VA, and through Frederick, MD. I stopped at the Cyclorama in Gettysburg, something I'd not yet seen. Incredible, especially if you're a history nerd like I am. Then I rode to Scranton, PA, and stayed the night in a Marriott Courtyard (using points). I'd already paid for a camping cabin at a KOA 40 miles farther, but night settled in, and I don't do night riding if I can help it.

I rode Friday to Kingston, NY, where I hooked up with Bob (2005 FJR) and Melissa ('86 Moto Guzzi Lario). Melissa led us on a route of 199 east to 22 north to 23 east, ending at Noble View.

Friday night was the wine tasting and dinner "famiglia-style"--lots of Italian (and other) sausages, salads, roasted eggplant that Melissa did for vegetarians, and beer. Rallymaster Sean brought out guitars and sang songs, let other folks sit in, and all around had a good time. Saturday, Bob, Melissa & I took back roads to Lenox, MA (where my sidebag latch failed), then up to Mount Greylock, the highest point in Massachusetts. We parted company there, with them headed to see friends in VT, and me headed back to Noble View.

Another good rally night, this time with catered lasagna plus some adult beverages and unique door prizes. Sunday's launch saw me retrace a lot of Friday's route, with a nice detour through NE Connecticut. I then took US 209 pretty much through the Delaware Water Gap (scenic but SLOOOOW), then I slabbed it over to Gettysburg for the night at a Hilton Garden Inn. I was there in time to do some sunset photography on the battlefield, have a nice diner dinner at the Lincoln Diner, and then hit some of the western sites of the battle the next morning.

When I got to Frederick, I visited Monocacy Battlefield (the so-called "battle that saved Washington"). After some more Civil Warring, I headed back 15 to 17 to I-95 south (with some detours to avoid rain, since my rain gear was in the non-functioning pannier).

All in all, a great trip.

Pics and more pics in these two albums:

Guzzi Rally

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mojohand/sets/72157645988852559/

Civil War

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mojohand/sets/72157646389562571/

Hey Mojo, what up with the fugly yellow helmet alongside that purty red motorbike?
rolleyes.gif

..and WOW, some of those Guzzi's are n i c e..

I'm a history buff as well and look forward to visiting various sites in the southeast as well. Thanks for your report...I've been through Gettysburg, but no matter how long I spend at these battlefields, it never seems to be enough.

Park Service does a great job, IMHO, with the national military parks. The visitor center at Gettysburg has some fascinating displays. I've found it pretty interesting to read about the battles fought there and then walk the ground where they took place. Sharpsburg is well worth visiting also; the visitor center there is not as comprehensive as Gettysburg but there are artillery demonstrations and luminaries the first weekend in December. Glad to hear you had a safe and enjoyable trip.

We went to the 150th memorial for my 2013's first long ride and we found a guide who leads motorcycle tours of the battlefield! It worked out that we were the only folks to sign up for timeslot chosen so we had our own personal guide. We went to Antietam as well since it's only about 20 miles from Gettysburg.

Park Service does a great job, IMHO, with the national military parks. The visitor center at Gettysburg has some fascinating displays. I've found it pretty interesting to read about the battles fought there and then walk the ground where they took place. Sharpsburg is well worth visiting also; the visitor center there is not as comprehensive as Gettysburg but there are artillery demonstrations and luminaries the first weekend in December. Glad to hear you had a safe and enjoyable trip.
Some day in the near future, I want to visit the Dr. Samuel Mudd farm. I am a distant cousin of him on my paternal Grandmother's side. When I was a child I believed he was a simple country Doctor framed by the government as I have become better informed it is apparent that Dr. Mudd was darn lucky he wasn't hung along with the Surrat's and the rest of the gang. He was innocent of plotting to kill President Lincoln but complicit in a kidnapping plot! He is responsible for the saying, "Your name is mud!"

We went to the 150th memorial for my 2013's first long ride and we found a guide who leads motorcycle tours of the battlefield! It worked out that we were the only folks to sign up for timeslot chosen so we had our own personal guide. We went to Antietam as well since it's only about 20 miles from Gettysburg.
Was your guide Sam Booth, who's a friend of mine? I'm curious about your experience doing a tour on a bike--was it a PITA getting on & off, taking helmets on & off, or was it fine?

Oh, and Dcarver--that high-viz yaller is beeeyoootiful to me! ;)