N00b Question - how to lubricate worm gear / windshield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karnal

Reaction score
All:

Saw it in another post; how do you go about lubricating the worm gear for the windshield? Mine kinda chatters a little bit on it's way back down to rest. Going up is just fine...

All:
Saw it in another post; how do you go about lubricating the worm gear for the windshield? Mine kinda chatters a little bit on its way back down to rest. Going up is just fine...
No worm gear.
Probably the arms sticking on the rubber washer in the slots. Try something slippery in there, try spraying WD40 simply as a test. If that works, wash the WD40 off, then when dry try something like PTFE spray.

If you do really need to get to the mechanism, it's a bit of a job getting there. These pics of mine might help.

This shows the mechanism (click on image for larger view)

Last edited by a moderator:
Avoid WD-40 (IMO) as it's not meant as a lube. It will gum things up over time. Use a spray silicone lube if you want to use a spray.

Mine did that for a while, until I removed the fairing to gain access, as mcatrophy mentioned, and polished the rails the assembly rides on, slightly tightened up the cable, and finally lubed the rails with a small amount of lithium soap grease.

You don't need much lube, as the mechanism has some kind of nylon(?) bushings where it runs on the rails, but the cable tension has to be just right.

Avoid WD-40 (IMO) as it's not meant as a lube. It will gum things up over time. Use a spray silicone lube if you want to use a spray.
I agree about the longer term effects of WD40, that's why I said "wash it off". It's just a very quick and easy way of washing out crud and temporarily lubricating as a test that might save the much more difficult job of fairing removal.
As for a more permanent lubricant, any that will cling to the gasket, will not wash off too easily and will not hold dirt.