Suspension Upgrade

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rckendall

Reaction score
I bought my FJR a couple months ago, specifically for touring. Although I have a couple other bikes, I didn't want to use the FJR for touring only. I felt that it should be fun to ride locally since it is considered a SportTouring bike. It seems to be common knowledge that the FJR is under sprung, so I decided to upgrade the suspension and started researching.

Once before when I upgraded the suspension on a bike, I remember being asked "What is it doing"? At the time I couldn't answer. So this time, I started by reading a couple books on suspension and paid particular attention to problem solving. Then, when I rode, I paid close attention to what the bike did.

Then I spoke with several suspension shops, and decided to use Ed Sorbo from Lindemann Engineering. One thing I learned from the suspension adjustments I did during my rides is that the front and the back need to be balanced. Ed was emphatic about this also. Ed is an ex-roadracer himself and works with trackday riders and racers regularly. Once he understood my goals for the bike he knew exactly what to do. I chose the more aggressive level of street use because that is what I am accustomed to.

I had my forks removed and sent to him for modification and he ordered a Penske shock, setup to his specs. He called during the fork work to discuss an option that came up and was very helpful in my decision making. It happened to be the cheaper option, which shows his character.

The bike was finished up last week and I rode it a couple days ago for the first time in a variety of conditions, and can say I am very happy. Even with worn tires the bike leans in very easily and holds it's line well. It doesn't run wide under acceleration which it did before. It soaks up all kinds of bumps and doesn't wallow in the corners. It now feels like a SPORTtouring bike.

I suppose there is much more I could say about my experience, but the most import fact is, I couldn't be happier with the results.

Richard

https://www.le-suspension.com

909-838-4587

I doubt you'll get much disagreement here. Suspension upgrades are the best money you can spend, but you have to feel it to believe it. Your suspension guy is a new one to me. Most here use GP and Traxxion. Do you have any details in terms of cost and front-end work that was done?

Off-topic: Best place to go for Santa Maria BBQ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt you'll get much disagreement here. Suspension upgrades are the best money you can spend, but you have to feel it to believe it. Your suspension guy is a new one to me. Most here use GP and Traxxion. Do you have any details in terms of cost and front-end work that was done?
Off-topic: Best place to go for Santa Maria BBQ?
Yeah, what he said. The '08 I bought already had a Race Tech setup. I just had it serviced and it rocks for sure but certainly wasn't cheap when the previous owner set it up. I've never heard of your guy but he sounds like a good guy. It's definitely the settings. Having someone who knows how to dial it in makes all the difference for sure.

Have fun with your SPORTtouring.

Tom,

I didn't mention cost because I didn't want to confuse the issue. A Penske shock is a Penske shock, and the prices don't vary, as far as I know. I bought the 8983 which was $925. What is important about Ed and Lindemann Engineering is that they have worked closely with Penske in the development of the shock/ shim pack. Ed was specific in the details in the order from Penske.

As for the forks, he machined a piece which allowed him to use the springs he wanted. Then he matched the fork oil weight to obtain proper damping. For this work, the price was under $200 including return shipping.

I am only a layman here so don't put too much trust in the details I offer, but feel free to contact Ed for verification.

As far as BBQ goes, I couldn't help. I am new to the area and don't eat out much. Sorry.

Richard

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a bargain for front fork modifications and and new springs. Sounds like no valving or slides, but not an unfair price. The Penske can go over $1000, so you did fine there as well.

As far as Santa Maria BBQ, you live in an area famous for a cooking style that produces very nicely cooked steak, lamb and pork roasts. Go explore. Rancho Nipomo is supposed to be one of the best. I went to Shaw's last time I was in town. I'm hoping to get an insider's review for next time.
punk.gif

Even with worn tires the bike leans in very easily and holds it's line well. It doesn't run wide under acceleration which it did before. It soaks up all kinds of bumps and doesn't wallow in the corners. It now feels like a SPORTtouring bike.
That matches my experience exactly. The biggest difference is in the way the bike corners with the new Hyperpro set-up. I was told that the rear shock is slightly longer and whether that's enough to alter the steering geometry I don't know but it's good.

I've heard of Ed and Lindemann. Pretty good racer in his day! Not surprised you are appreciating his work!