Screen recommendation for shorter-height rider

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AHAMAY

Reaction score
I have a 2013 Gen3 FJR1300...

I'm trying to sort out which replacement windscreen suits a 5'6" rider - most everyone here appears to be much taller. I 'spoke' to one of our US cousins (Hello GreyGoose!
smile.png
) who is the same height and has the VStream and likes it. I also contacted 2 manufacturers...

National Cycles (VStream) reckons:"Being that you are on the shorter side, you would be looking through the tall shield in the lowest position. The mid-sized Sport Touring shield would be a better height.

This shield is only available in light tint. The tinting that we use in this shield is a very light smoke. It looks a little darker in the photo that is does in person. Unless you are holding this shield next to a clear shield its hard to notice the tinting."
I'm a tad worried about the tinting for if/when I would have the screen fully up. Anyone have a tinted screen? The model recommended is the NS20308 https://shop.nationalcycle.com/perl/cycle/N20308

CalSci says:The stock shield height is good for you, I think. Our sport model is about the same height as stock. You could try a medium, it's probably ok if you live in the northern half of the US.
I live in SE Australia - so it's hot and humid in Summer - however, I believe the Gen3 doesn't throw up as much heat onto the rider as the Gen2 model.

I've narrowed choices down to the VStream, CalSci, or Yamaha OEM Touring Screen, but still hoping to hear from riders of my, er, stature.
help.gif

Firstly, welcome to the forum!

I also have the '13, and have the stock shield. At 5'7", I keep it all the way down 95% of the time to get airflow, as I live in Florida, and the heat/humidity is stifling in the summer. When all the way up, the rain is blown over me, also when it's cold (on trips further north) it blocks the air really well. I don't really experience buffeting all the way up either. I've never thought about another shield.

You came to the right place for answers, congrats! :)

Firstly, welcome to the forum!
I also have the '13, and have the stock shield. At 5'7", I keep it all the way down 95% of the time to get airflow, as I live in Florida, and the heat/humidity is stifling in the summer. When all the way up, the rain is blown over me, also when it's cold (on trips further north) it blocks the air really well. I don't really experience buffeting all the way up either. I've never thought about another shield.

You came to the right place for answers, congrats!
smile.png
Hello LKLD. Hmm, must be a difference in our torso height in addition to the extra 1" in overall height.

I get buffeted severly with the stock fairing and it is as noisy as hell.

While I'm a bit taller than you, I didn't care for the VStream sport touring version and got rid of it. The tint is very light and shouldn't be an issue after dark. I've got a Givi now and really like it. Much quieter and much better looking. Might be worth a look.

I'd look for shield no more than 2" taller than stock. Cee Baileys reverse contour have been my screen of choice for three FJRs. Light gray tint looks killer and is no biggie to look through.

Good luck!

--G

Loved the Cee Bailey +2" on my 06. Great shield. I am 5'5". Also have a V-Stream which is like riding behind a transparent barn door for my size.