600 mile service

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hillbilly1

Reaction score
I am coming up on the first oil change and have been reading about problems with the drain plug being over torqued from the factory. Is this something worth letting the dealer do to avoid problems with stripping? It's tempting to do the service myself to save some bucks. Have many people had problems with this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Did the 1st oil change on my '03 & '14, no problems.

Just don't over-tighten the drain plug when re-installing, if I recall the torque spec Yamaha specifies is higher than necessary.

They call for 31ft-lbs, seems a bit much for the drain plug.

It's on tight, but not so tight to have the dealer do it. However, use a deepwell socket/socket wrench and not a open/box end wrench, or you might break off the lip in front of the bolt. Don't ask how I know this.

The point of having the dealer do it is twofold...

1) You're "in the system" as far as having a "required" warranty check done...and

2) Should your bike display the dreaded "King Kong Factory Monkey Drain Plug" install and the threads DO come out with the bolt, then the onus and repair is your dealer's problem, not yours.

Do it yourself for then you don't run the risk of the dealer over tightening the nut. Keep your filter and oil receipts.

Do use a new crush washer to avoid over tightening. When the crush washer is crushed it is really obvious and that is enough to get the job done - no torque wrench required.