I got them ol' bluetooth blues

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichDoyle

Reaction score
Ok, so when I ride, I'm sometimes encased in a sea of electronic chatter:

GPS receiver

Phone <> GPS (Bluetooth)

GPS <> My Sena (Bluetooth; music-relayed from iPod and phone)

iPod <> GPS (wired, though shielding unknown)

When mama is along, we add

GPS <> Her Sena (Bluetooth; music - relayed from iPod and intercom)

My Sena <> Her Sena (Bluetooth; intercom)

In the first scenario, I have few problems. But the other day we were riding 2-up from Everett to home. Enroute to the ferry from downtown Everett the music was cutting out big time essentially the whole way. (Clue: definite uptick in interference as I drove by a cell tower.)

In either scenario I get essentially a shutdown in transmission among them all IF I'm riding through the central passageway of new ferry, Tokitae. The ferry is literally new. Just a few months from first launch and about a month in regular service. I'm guessing this boat has a wireless (possibly bluetooth-based, as well) network of some kind on board.

Away from civilization I'll occasionally get a hiccup, though it's all normally pretty solid. The headsets in question right now are a 20S and SMH10. The GPS is a Garmin Zumo 590, the phone a Samsung Galaxy S III. I'll be experimented with settings to see what I can do to minimize outside noise. I just wondered if anyone else has fiddled with the bluetooth options to deal with things like this.

The SMH10s are notorious for the Bluetooth cutting out. Sometimes mine won't do it for weeks, then suddently, every couple of hours. There does not seem to be any traceable reason, as it's happened in populated areas and the middle of nowhere.

I think it may just be Bluetooth glitchyness showing it's ugly face. When it starts, I turn off the Sena and turn it back on. That always fixes it for a while.

I have no idea if the 20S units do this or not.

Yes, bluetooth itself can be flaky in all kinds of circumstances. I've use the SMH10 for quite awhile now. But using the 20S and SMH10 together is a new wrinkle. Supported by Sena, but having the two units involved seems to complicate things. There clearly is a setting in the SMH10 to help deal with it, but I don't see an equivalent one yet in the 20S.

But life would be so boring if everything worked, right?
rolleyes.gif

Latest posts