Oil Change - Side Stand or Center Stand

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Aldea

FJR/Concours Pilot
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I've searched through the forum and could not find any mention so I'm asking the dumb, obvious question.

Since the oil drain plug is on the left side of the motor along with the oil filter are owners draining the oil with their FJRs parked on the side stand or the center stand? It would seem that parking on the side stand would promote better oil drainage but might also create a mess when the filter is removed.

Of course, the FJR would need to be on the center stand, after installing the drain plug and filter, when filling with oil to get an accurate reading in the sight glass.

I suppose you might get a little more oil out by draining it on the side stand. I highly doubt you will get enough to make any difference.

I ain't even going to waste time with a pointed response to this fuqing retarded question.. you are kidding right?

Goddamn this place has gone to fuck in a nutsac.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ain't even going to waste time with a pointed response to this fuqing retarded question.. you are kidding right?
Goddamn this place has gone to fuck in a nutsac.
Hey I warned you it was a dumb, obvious question.
rolleyes.gif

Spare me..

If your aforementioned deity is all you nutcases profess it is?
Why do you ask questions here? I would think your space traveler would have answers that the mortals here haven't time to answer 729 thousand times.

You admitted as much in your opening here.

Admins? Banish me to arkensest or Cleveland.

Shit like this is fukin stupid.

Yes, please grant his wish.

My owner's manual is specific about the center stand for level check, but is silent describing the oil change -- so it just doesn't matter.

I think the admins voiced their opinion when they moved this to NEPRT.

I suppose any question is worth answering but for me the answer to this one would have to be the same old line: Ride more. Stress less.

You mentioned the date of Gilmore's execution; I mentioned his final words. Lot of room here to pin point who is fukin stupid.

After giving this one a bit more thought...

Has the OP experimented with this to see if there are any differences? If I were the OP and I were concerned about the actual difference, I would find out for myself and then post the results. Why not drain it on the centerstand and then take it off and put it on the side stand? Then you could see if there was any measureable difference.

Is the OP aware that there is about a half quart of oil that will never come out during the oil change? There is oil trapped in the motor/transmission assembly that will not ever come out.

The reason I thought about this is because of a thread on the ST1300 forum about filling the gas tank, side or center stand. I had to know so I filled the tank on the sidestand and then put the bike on the centerstand to top off. Not enough difference to even consider.

Honestly, this was kind of a silly question. It was destined for NEPRT, where it landed. However, they say no question is a dumb question. Whoever "They" is.

Last week I pulled the drain plug when the bike was hot planning to put oil back in the next day. About 6 hours later a friend called and I needed to get another bike out RIGHT AWAY but the FJR was in the way. Thinking all the oil was out I rolled the FJR out of the way and left it on the side stand. I came back home to a BIG MESS on the garage floor. i'm guessing 5 ounces or so. Does that answer the question?

Service manual warning: Drain oil only while the motorcycle is in an upright position with the rubber side down.
So I shouldn't hang it by it's wheels from the $7,000 overhead crane I bought on eBay? It only took 3 hours of shaking to catch all the drip in the 3'x4' pan underneath.

winksmiley02.gif