Anti bug coating?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxboy96

Reaction score
This might be a 'did he really ask that' question, but I have to ask incase someone's not sharing their awesome remedy. Do you guys know of any coating, wax, or anything of the sort that makes bugs not stick or come off with ease from our bikes? That's the biggest thing I hate about summer riding is the bugs that get stuck on, then eventually even 'stain' the paint it seems. Just curious;)

I don't think there's one magic product for that. A real good coat of wax on a regular basis and washing the bike when you see the bugs would help. A lot. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with waxing in helping, yet sometimes they're still stubborn, especially lovebugs. A way we Flatistani's use to get them off much easier, without harming the finish, is to wet an unused dryer sheet to wipe them off. Before you laugh and hurt yourself, just try it. :)

3% h2o2 50/50 with water helps dissolve the insectoid trophies. It's particularly good for rinsing out the radiator, but works well all over the bike.

I spray some on and let it soak a bit, then rinse, and repeat the procedure. Still gotta follow up with a quality car wash soap.

+1 to Plexus plastic cleaner/polish. Meguires also makes some good stuff

Hot water in the bucket with a soft wash cloth to dissolve bug guts.... wax regularly they will be no issue...

Plexis seems to make them stick less on my face shield and windscreen.
+1 on the Plexus. I commute 60 miles each way to work, mostly through rice fields and orchards...the air is sometimes gray with bugs... I spray the front end, windscreen, and my helmet down when I get to work, let it sit for a minute or so, then wipe it down with a clean microfiber cloth, the bugs wipe right off without scrubbing. Once home, lather, rinse repeat. If for whatever reason I don't get to it right away, even for a few days, I let the Plexus soak a little longer, the stuff is great.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found a good way last weekend. Just ride it on the highway in a good rain storm. Self washing. All the bugs came off? :)

Pledge multi surface polish works almost as well as Plexus for fewer dollars.

Has anyone tried Bug Slide or Pig Snot wax? They look interesting but expensive.

FWIW, Peroxide is not a "bleach." Peroxide breaks down protein, which is why it dissolves the bugs. Peroxide is safe for colored clothes, carpets, and just about everything else. I have used it for years to get blood out of my uniforms. Pour or dab it on and it foams up. A little rubbing, and the blood comes out. It works great when your kid gets a bloody nose and runs through the house.