Lesson #17 for Fifty-Something, New FJR Owners with Bad Backs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a piece of 1 1/2 inch drain line which I cut off about 12 inches from the flared end. . I slide the pipe over the center stand which makes it very easy to lift. I have no trouble lifting our Gold Wing but can not lift the FJR without this extra leverage.

I'm 67 with a questionable back and have no particular problem lifting my '13 onto the center stand. I can even do it in crocs. Changing out for a lighter battery made it even easier (I didn't expect that). I understand the older ones are more of a problem, though, so I sympathize.

There is virtually no lifting involved. Leverage yes.

Make sure you're using the handle under the left side of the seat, and not the passenger grab handles. Make sure you're not lifting, but rather standing on the centerstand tang. The handle is not a lift point, just a place to give you leverage for your foot pressing downwards. Thanks Wfooshee

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty easy with the right technique. As Tom ^^^^ points out, you're stepping on the centerstand, not lifting the beast.

And yes, GEN IIIs pop up easier on the center stand than earlier years.

--G

I have severe back issues and the FJR or the wing are easy. The one that gives me trouble is the old Concours.

Pretty easy with the right technique. As Tom ^^^^ points out, you're stepping on the centerstand, not lifting the beast.
And yes, GEN IIIs pop up easier on the center stand than earlier years.

--G
That's how I've always done it with any bike with a center stand. It is more of a drive down with your foot and rolling the bike back than lifting it.

I feel it's not simply a 'step down' on the center stand lever, but more of a 'push down' on the center stand lever.

Main thing is: Do not attempt to lift the bike, or even shift it rearwards. Simply step on the center stand lever as you lock your arms and just straighten your leg. When done correctly the bike literally snaps onto the stand.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="FJRay" data-cid="1170178" data-time="1408326979"><p>

I have severe back issues and the FJR or the wing are easy. The one that gives me trouble is the old Concours.</p></blockquote>

Compared to my C-10, the FJR practically leaps onto the center stand

on its own.

Forgive me if I find it hard to believe anyone has trouble with this.

Perhaps they should have eaten more vegetables as a kid.

I have severe back issues and the FJR or the wing are easy. The one that gives me trouble is the old Concours.
Compared to my C-10, the FJR practically leaps onto the center stand

on its own.

Forgive me if I find it hard to believe anyone has trouble with this.

Perhaps they should have eaten more vegetables as a kid.[/quote

Hope you never injure your back. Things change, and not for the better.

Compared to my C-10, the FJR practically leaps onto the center standon its own.
No kidding. I had to wind up and give it the old "heave-ho" on my C10. And this was made much worse since I had ZRX 1200 forks installed which are about 1 1/2" shorter. When I first put my 2014 on the center stand I though I was going to throw it through the back wall of the garage, it skidded about 3-4" and actually caught me off guard. Now, having done this dozens of times, it is eezee peezee even with a full touring load.

Dan

It is easier if you weigh upwards of 220.I only weigh 180 and almost popped my knee out. Try a 190 tire and see if that helps. No offense to the meat and potato eaters.

The technique is pretty well defined. I an 72 and weigh 145lbs. I found the Genii's took a bit of effort to get on the center stand but the GenIII is damn near effortless. I'm going to put a 190/55 rear tire on when the OEM tire is shot. I hear tell that makes it even easier to get it up on the center stand.

The technique is pretty well defined. I an 72 and weigh 145lbs. I found the Genii's took a bit of effort to get on the center stand but the GenIII is damn near effortless. I'm going to put a 190/55 rear tire on when the OEM tire is shot. I hear tell that makes it even easier to get it up on the center stand.
That's me exactly. The Gen II required good technique. The Gen III (with my 72 years and 145 pounds
smile.png
) requires little more than stepping onto the stand's pedal. Even with a bad back you'd have no problem, other than possibly pushing the bike upright to get both the stand's feet on the ground.

So ...

(Honey, more Ibuprofen, please.)
... wrong request.

"Honey, can I have a Gen III, please?"

Better still, since "Honey" is presumably a woman, surreptitiously make sure she gets to know the Gen III will allow your back to get better so you can do all those jobs She wants doing.

But by far the best is to have a wife like mine
love.gif
. But I still have to do all those jobs.

Very interesting, however the odd thing is the part number for the centre stand is the same for both 2009 & 2014 models - 5P5 - 27111 - 00.

Or have they come out with a new design that is compatible with the older models?.................

Very interesting, however the odd thing is the part number for the centre stand is the same for both 2009 & 2014 models - 5P5 - 27111 - 00.
Or have they come out with a new design that is compatible with the older models?.................
They certainly look similar. But, whatever they've done, there's a world of difference between my Gen IIs and my Gen III ('06 and '10 were both the same, '14 - wow, it's easy!).

[edit]

Talking of centre stands, I noticed that on mine the fixing bolts were from the inside, nuts on the outside, so removing it shouldn't require any major surgery. Redacted, it's bullshite.

(Click on image for larger view)

[/edit]