Planning a trip to Colorado

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myrwon

Reaction score
This is unplanned trip and short notice. I've got two weeks to use up by mid-October and would like to take a ride over to Colorado from Florida,. Im looking at leaving around September, let's say the 18th.

My main concern is the weather? Will I be able to ride up to Mt Evans or anything north of Canyon City? Will the be lots of road closures?

Here's my route...Any do's or dont's would be great. Thanks

Colorado_zps3f459e9b.gif

Sorry, but I'm going to piggyback on to your inquiry. Me and two other members of the Swollen Raccoon Racing Team are riding to Colorado from Minnesota, leaving Minnesota on September 13th. We're riding straight through to Longmont that day, then plan on spending 3 or 4 days hitting the mountains. We're planning on RMNP, Mount Evans, Pikes Peak, and a lot of mountain pass roads. One of our riders has been there dozens of times, and we'll be riding for at least one day with our western member, who lives in Longmont. Sorry for the piggyback, but I, too will be interested to hear other opinions. (I know that 76 is rougher than a cob, and that a half dozen bridges are being replaced there). Thanks! Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming.........

Last edited by a moderator:
You may indeed encounter some snow, but I doubt that any passes will be closed yet.

550 between Durango and Montrose ( I see as part of your planned route) is gorgeous. I rode it last year. My favorite shot from that ride:

Ouray_zpsc85522d1.jpg

You may indeed encounter some snow, but I doubt that any passes will be closed yet.
550 between Durango and Montrose ( I see as part of your planned route) is gorgeous. I rode it last year. My favorite shot from that ride:

Ouray_zpsc85522d1.jpg
I agree with bhendron 100%, you may get a dusting of snow in September on the road but not enough to close the passes. https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/149823-rolling-colorado-rockies-fjr-ride-july-22-26-2013;-bag-the-high-passes;-estes-park-leadville-gunnison-silverton-overnights;-no-rally-fees-fun/ FJR Forum Southwest rode these routes in 2013 on the "Rolling Rockies Cluster Fuck Ride", Colorado is Heaven on Earth for Motorcyclists! jes' sayin' and nuff said, ese!

According to this web site the last 5 miles of Mt Evans is closed in early sept. https://www.mountevans.com/MountEvansCom/Mount-Evans-PlanningRoadOpenClosing.HTML

After mid september all bets are off for the high country of Colorado. I was unable to ride RMP in 08 due to snow above 10k feet, it most likely was gone in a few days but so was I.

Be prepared for any kind of weather that late in the year, I hope it's nice as I will be riding through the state on the 19th on my way to EOM.

I live in canon city, so this q is right up my alley. the most spectacular ride is over on the western slope...from Montrose to Durango. it's called the million dollar highway and does require skill, cuz in parts, there is little margin for error on twisties. it should be open, but there could be snow up on the mtns themselves.

from canon city to salida is a local favorite, called the river road as you ride right along the Arkansas river. once in a while you could see bighorn sheep. it's 65 miles of fun; be alert for rocks on the road. good time to ride, since most of the tourists are gone. if you go further west from salida you will go up and over monarch pass/continental divide. it's a fun ride and there r places to pass on it.

also, consider a trip to Westcliffe off of highway 50 at the texas creek turnoff. it's terrific riding and the amish bakery up there is tasty. pm me if you need further help. it's doubtful that any roads will be closed, except for independence pass which usually closes for the season in September. dress in layers tho, cuz morning rides could be chilly depending on your elevation. stay hydrated due to not being used to elevation.

There isn't a road in CO that isn't worth riding. If you hit some bad weather just backtrack and turn in a different direction - you can't go wrong. I've been there 3 times and want to go back so badly. You can ride the same roads or new ones and it's just as much fun. The scenery is amazing around every turn. This past May, a friend and I went north on 550 and came back south to NM on CO 141 & CO 145 thru Telluride - it was beautiful to see those mountains from both sides. We ran into some rain, snow, hail & cold temps along the way but it made it that much more memorable!

Try to see Rocky Mtn Natl Park & Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP while you're there. CO 92 & CO 133 are a hoot! Be sure to do CO 65 (Grand Mesa Scenic Byway) as well... but always watch out for critters. I could go on and on...

Go for it!

My only suggestion would be to change your routing from Raton a bit. I would turn East by Southeast on Hwy 64 in New Mexico instead of taking the route through Southern Colorado. Hwy 64 is wonderful and New Mexico is often overlooked because of Colorado. The only thing wrong with New Mexico is that HotRodZilla lives there but he is down in AlbuQueerque and you won't be going there.

My only suggestion would be to change your routing from Raton a bit. I would turn East by Southeast on Hwy 64 in New Mexico instead of taking the route through Southern Colorado. Hwy 64 is wonderful and New Mexico is often overlooked because of Colorado. The only thing wrong with New Mexico is that HotRodZilla lives there but he is down in AlbuQueerque and you won't be going there.
Uh Red Bro', you've overlooked the pertinent fact that AJ's Brother Patch308 (Desert Storm Marine Sniper!) lives on Highway 64 and is the New Mexico State Trooper for Highway 64, he makes 'Zilla look like a cupcake! jes' sayin' and nuff said, Semper Fi!

Uh Red Bro', you've overlooked the pertinent fact that AJ's Brother Patch308 (Desert Storm Marine Sniper!) lives on Highway 64 and is the New Mexico State Trooper for Highway 64, he makes 'Zilla look like a cupcake! jes' sayin' and nuff said, Semper Fi!
Zilla is a cupcake! There is no way he could be worse than AJ. If were dumber than AJ he would need somebody to remind him to breathe!

Hwy 64 thru Northern New Mexico is actually one of my favorite parts of that area. The pavement is not perfect and unfortunately Taos is right in the middle of it all but the Rio Grande Gorge and the long sweepers make up for a lot of that.

I was just in CO last month for the How the West Was Won Rally. The gent I rented my bike from said, "If you don't get rained on while riding Colorado, you're not riding enough!" So definitely bring rain gear. Mid-September is rumored to have the potential for inclement weather ranging from rain to snow. Both Pikes Peak and Mt. Evans are over 14K feet which is awesome but can affect some with the altitude. I only felt a little dizzy but nothing worse than that. YMMV.

Photos from my trip here if you'd like a preview. B)

Finally, beware the GPS that tells you of a "shortcut" across some of the passes. Many of them turn out to be pretty gnarly dirt roads... they'll lull you into a false sense of security to start and then you'll be in the thick of it... and probably not want to be! ;)

Finally, beware the GPS that tells you of a "shortcut" across some of the passes. Many of them turn out to be pretty gnarly dirt roads... they'll lull you into a false sense of security to start and then you'll be in the thick of it... and probably not want to be!
wink.png
Funny you bring this up.... been there, done that - CO CR 50 is NOT a shortcut from US40 to CO route 9!

If were dumber than AJ he would need somebody to remind him to breathe
Anyone else catch the irony of that sentence?
Hey there Mr. I Live 6 Feet Below Sea Level 3 Miles From The Ocean, would you like me to have my 7 year old help you with that sentence structure?
Yeah, yeah I forgot one little word. I went back and changed it.

But yes, you win.

And yes, send her over. My wife and son would love to have a little girl in the house. Me, not so much.