New BMW S1000XR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Side bag hard points look like an afterbirth....

People have long been waiting and wanting an upgrade to the FZ1.... Maybe this'll be the year, its overdue and mama yama has had plenty of time to get their shit together on it, and with the FJR upgrades out of the way. Even though the FZ09 was just released, wondering if they do it...

Thanks for sharing.....I like the look! And I heard that 1 litre inline 4 is a real screamer!!
help.gif

I just bought a 2014 S1000R, and if this new Adventure-Tourer is anywhere near the power and weight of my S1000R, it will be the fastest and best handling A-T ever made.

I like it. To me its got some of the FZ1 and R6 lines, but I'm assuming it will be packed with electronic goodies, nice components, and tons of grunt. But at $17k or more (my guess) its likely out of my range. If I was spending that kind of scratch I'd go for an RC8R.

I picked one up at the end of July while the wife/daughter were on their annual road trip to SoCal. I was overdue for a mid-life crisis purchase
punk.gif

20150731_094117.jpg

20150801_142323.jpg

Bags are off and I'm running tank bag and trunk for commuting and weekend riding. I think it's the most fun I've had on any bike

I've owned. Sold the 2006 Multistrada (proceeds paid for the sales tax, bags and a few add-ons
omg2.gif
). Hope to get it on the track this fall

yet and if it puts a smile on face there I'll put '06 R1-LE track bike up for sale in the spring.

Typical BMW pricing but so far no regrets. ~2000 miles and counting. My first BMW too.

Gary

So Gary what do you think of the XR's highway manners, seating, wind protection, etc.? I test rode a S1000R a few months ago and while it was a fun ride, it was turning 6000 rpm at 80ish mph. The revs got old in 15 minutes...I can't imagine listening to that all day long. Is the XR a little more relaxed at highway speeds?

Congrats, great looking bike!

--G

So Gary what do you think of the XR's highway manners, seating, wind protection, etc.? I test rode a S1000R a few months ago and while it was a fun ride, it was turning 6000 rpm at 80ish mph. The revs got old in 15 minutes...I can't imagine listening to that all day long. Is the XR a little more relaxed at highway speeds?

--G

Wow - great thought shared there..... I was second guessing myself on the FZ09 or the S1000R. Glad I got the FZ.

A couple local guys and I are going to meet up - I'm bringing my FJR, there will be the FZ-09 and the third guy bought the XR after owning an FJR, FZ1, FZ-09, FJ-09 and now owns a S1000XR..... Not sure how much ADD this guy has but its showing...

Guess I'll see how that XR stacks up....

--G
As you can read in any of the reviews the bike is a bit buzzy. 5k RPM is 70mph so it's geared low. At 80PH the buzz smooths out so I just ride faster.
rolleyes.gif
I'm either getting used to it or the vibes are getting a bit better as the motor breaks in. I don't think about it anymore. Wind protection isn't bad. I haven't ridden with the screen in the up position. I have no plans to go cross country on it like I did on the FJR this summer. I still love my FJR and it get's ridden. The FJR is my winter commute bike too. The XR is a fun, local ride, commute bike. It takes care of the same itch the old multistrada did. I traded many emails with a track day instructor who did 2 days at Laguna in early June on his XR. He gave an enthusiastic thumbs up which was the final straw in my decision making. But I will give the XR a try on the track before putting the R1 on the block. I'd really like to pick up a second set of wheels for track day rubberbut I need to wait a bit more before they start showing up at the dismantler's. All bikes have their quirks and personalities. I'm perfectly fine with the XR's ... I can't keep the grin off my face when riding it!

gixxer here's the LE. Bought it when I turned 50 nearly 8 yrs ago from the original owner, wife told me I could go out a buy a bike that I wanted. I had to rebuild it two years ago after an incident at Thunder Hill but other than a scratch on left side frame rail you'd never know:

DSC_1906.jpg

Gary

Mi Sobrino (Nephew) Enrique Garza test rode the BMW S1000XR, Señor Henry is the tallest Mexican I have ever met at 6'-3"! JSNS, he's an Aztec, HotRodZilla's a Mayan ese! Statue of AJ's Ancestor in Tulum, Yucatán MEX:

My test ride of the XR was fun, the engine performance was powerful. Seat to handlebars a bit cramped. Pro shift was different, not made my mind up about its usefulness. KTM test ride on the 9th, I'm thinking it's going to be a better package.

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked one up at the end of July while the wife/daughter were on their annual road trip to SoCal. I was overdue for a mid-life crisis purchase
punk.gif

20150731_094117.jpg

20150801_142323.jpg

Bags are off and I'm running tank bag and trunk for commuting and weekend riding. I think it's the most fun I've had on any bike

I've owned. Sold the 2006 Multistrada (proceeds paid for the sales tax, bags and a few add-ons
omg2.gif
). Hope to get it on the track this fall

yet and if it puts a smile on face there I'll put '06 R1-LE track bike up for sale in the spring.

Typical BMW pricing but so far no regrets. ~2000 miles and counting. My first BMW too.

Gary
You've got the full LE version of the R1? Brembos and Ohlins all around? I might be interested if you decide you want to put it up for sale. Keep me in mind please
smile.png

You've got the full LE version of the R1? Brembos and Ohlins all around? I might be interested if you decide you want to put it up for sale. Keep me in mind please
smile.png
Hi Russ,

Yea, #121. If I sell it, it'll probably be in the spring when riding season starts back up. Hopefully I'll have had a chance to try the XR out on the track and know I'll be happy enough to run a handful of track days/yr with it, I'll keep you in mind if it comes that. The original owner I bought the bike from put a boat load of accessories on it as he had planned to take it AFM racing but a career change forced the sale to me.

Gary