Custom Seats - Who does what

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigjohnsd

2021 BMW R1250GSA
Reaction score
I found this post on a Vstrom forum and thought it was worthy of reposting here as i'm in the market and know others are too:

Russell, Mayer and Laam seats

Seats are a common topic of discussion on forums and i thought it might be useful to offer a bit of background, such as I know it on the seat makers in the area around Redding California.

By way of history, Bill Mayer senior designed the seat that is now produced by Russell (with changes I'm sure) many years ago. I used to see them advertised in magazines in the 70s. It uses springs in its construction as well as foam and became widely regarded as perhaps the most comfortable seat design produced for long distance touring.

Somewhere along the line he sold the desgin to the people who are now producing the Russell Day Long seat.

There are two Mayer brothers, Bill jr (aka Rocky) and Rick. Both of them also produce seats in seperate businesses. They also both have different approaches to seat construction.

Bill uses foam cores that he has poured, then shapes them for the rider and builds a cover for it and attaches it to the stock seat pan. I believe he has different density foams depending on rider weight.

Rick's approach is to cut down the stock foam in the seat then uses different density foams to create the seat shape. For example he uses a very stiff foam to create the 'wings' that give outward support and he uses a foam much like the 'pudgee' foam that hospitals use in mattresses to prevent bed sores in the center area. He then builds a cover to fit it.

Seth Laam is a new name to most, also from the Redding area. He worked with Rick for a number of years before going on his own. His build approach is similar to Rick's, adding different densities of foam where needed and building a cover to fit.

I've had seats from all of these sources and believe that any of them are capable of delivering a very comfortable seat. Most will tell you (even the other makers) if the rider is very heavy that the Russell would be the best choice because of the spring suspension system used.

Costs vary between them. In general I believe the Russell is most expensive. I believe that Bill Mayers is next the Rick's. At this point in time I believe Seth is the least expensive.

My most recent seat buying experience was for my 1400 Concours and i had Seth Laam do it. I have to say that I don't know that I have ever met anyone in the industry who is more focused on customer service. He likes to talk to the customer on the phone, after intitially telling him what I wanted he called me when it was going into production and then again on the day he shipped it and once more later to see what I thought of it. Each time emphasizing if there was something I didn't like that he would be happy to make any changes necessary. Hard to find that kind of service.

Hope that some of this might be useful to those contemplating having a seat redone.

https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-v-strom-discussion/149553-russell-mayer-laam-seats.html

Last edited by a moderator:
For the amount of cash being invested in any of these seats, the differences in price are not all that great. I am sure that Seth makes a fine seat, but I will continue to send Russell my seats and my money as they are the best there is, and at the end of a 2 week road trip, having your butt be as happy as it was at the start is worth having paid the small extra for the very best, IMO.

That said, if you do decide to go with a Russell, you still have some choices of economy. Solo or dual. Leather or Vinyl. A solo Vinyl Russell can be very economical (that is what I have on my Vstrom). Especially if you wait and get it done over the winter and get in on one of the group buys that seem to pop up every winter. For the LD riders having leather seating surface is (again) worth the extra cost. I have a dual leather in the half moon stitch pattern on the FJR. It is the best.

Again, all of this is IMO and based on my own experiences (have also owned a Rick Mayer). Others, especially those who have chosen a different seat maker, will have other opinions.

PS - sorry we couldn't hook up when we were out your way, John. We actually did stay one night in your home town, but you were away then. Maybe next time?
wink.png

We just went through the decision making process and it was more difficult to make a choice than it should have been.

The fact is that any true Custom Seat by any of the master builders is going to be a good seat. It may take some adjustments and fine tuning, but if it really is fitted to a specific person and that person has realistic expectations, it is going to help. That part about realistic expectations is HUGE!

Because I have a great deal of personal respect for Seth Laam, because of his quick turnaround and because he makes a great seat, Dad now has a Laam Custom on his FJR.

Before I get flamed here, the camera will not get this color. I cannot say why but the seat is definitely not the color the pictures show. The cell phone pics were even worse.

I know the color looks very uh... Bad? But it does not look like that in person. I tried everything I knew with the camera.

My impression, from a combination of what I've read here and my experience buying tandem RDLs, is that:

a. You really can't go wrong with a Russell (who thinks about the extra $100 they spent after several tens of thousands of miles of comfort?)

b. Laam has a well-earned reputation for customer service. As for comfort, reviews are good but if you're riding across the continent the RDL would be the "safer" bet

c. The Mayer boys have their fans too - probably well-earned, but don't seem to have as large or as devoted a following as Russell.

In my experience, Russell could fine-tune certain aspects of their customer service and order process, but they certainly weren't bad to deal with and the finished product exceeded all my expectations.

Getting ready to pull the trigger John?
Yup, bought a second seat from someone here. Just waiting to receive my Aussie Smuggler to see how the seat fits with it before I decide what to do. Hoping that the stock seat and Aussie Police Smuggler are compatible, there is some controversy.

Hoping that the police smuggler will work with the seat just like the pillion. Would like to be able to switch them out as needed.

Just waiting to receive my Aussie Smuggler to see how the seat fits with it before I decide what to do. Hoping that the stock seat and Aussie Police Smuggler are compatible, there is some controversy.Hoping that the police smuggler will work with the seat just like the pillion. Would like to be able to switch them out as needed.

Where did you find the Aussie Smuggler?!? I was beaten to the punch when a chap from CA listed the last one.

That seat looks good, but they are Russell prices and LD Riders have roundly criticized the use of gel pads in motorcycle seats.

It may suit some, and it might suit many for shorter distances, but I'm decently confident most will still end up shipping to Shasta Lake.

Just waiting to receive my Aussie Smuggler to see how the seat fits with it before I decide what to do. Hoping that the stock seat and Aussie Police Smuggler are compatible, there is some controversy.Hoping that the police smuggler will work with the seat just like the pillion. Would like to be able to switch them out as needed.

Where did you find the Aussie Smuggler?!? I was beaten to the punch when a chap from CA listed the last one.
Australia

Just waiting to receive my Aussie Smuggler
Izzat your pet name for Festar?
wink.png
laugh.png

I heard he goes by "The Aussie Snuggler" but i have no personal experience :)

Thanks for this post and your thoughts on the differences guys....

I bought a used russel front for my 05 last year and I really like it, but wasn't made for me, could use a few tweaks for my taste but it has certainly gotten me the ability to be in the saddle far longer then any other seat I have tried, stock (crap), Sargent (slippery &not really enough comfort).

My next seat will need to be custom for me - I like the look of the Laam there, perhaps not that color, but I get what he was going for and it probably looks great in person, much like the red fjr looks like poop to me in pictures but was really nice in person...

Appreciate you stating that Leather is worth the extra.... I will not be cheaping out on vinyl....

Come on 2015 with a color I can mesh with please !!

I will not be cheaping out on vinyl....
Sometimes vinyl is actually the smart choice, a bonus being that it is cheaper.

if you live in a climate where the average humidity is high, or where it is wet a lot, leather has real disadvantages.

Some appreciate that the leather conforms to your personal shape better than vinyl, and there may be some truth in this, but in most seats it is the underlying foams that do the real "conforming"' and they are the same whatever the cover.

There is the suggestion that leather "breathes" better, yet if you wear a riding suit it is a completely irrelevant point.

What is true is that leather costs more and requires more care than vinyl.

In the end, some guys just want leather, and that is fine .... but vinyl is not simply a cheap version of leather, for many it is technically a superior choice.

I will not be cheaping out on vinyl....
Sometimes vinyl is actually the smart choice, a bonus being that it is cheaper.

if you live in a climate where the average humidity is high, or where it is wet a lot, leather has real disadvantages.

There is the suggestion that leather "breathes" better, yet if you wear a riding suit it is a completely irrelevant point.

What is true is that leather costs more and requires more care than vinyl.

vinyl is not simply a cheap version of leather, for many it is technically a superior choice.
That is a wonderful post. I completely agree. We live in South Louisiana, the humidity is legendary here. I was advised by the builder, Seth Laam that for our purposes vinyl was the better choice. Once leather is treated as it should be, it does not breathe very well anyway.

I would have paid whatever it took to get the seat as close to perfect as possible. I just talked to Pop and he is so completely happy with this seat I am in disbelief. He said he has never been so comfortable sitting on anything as he is on that seat.

In Wisconsin - not terrible humidity like in the south but I'll keep my options open....
thanks
The look you can get that resembles a well-used saddle, is priceless to some and only leather can re-create it.

If that is what you want, leather is a great choice. I just wanted folk reading this to be aware of the reasons for choice so they could make an informed decision.

Money was no object for me, but I went with vinyl for the low maintenance and water resistance aspects. No regrets whatsoever.