My VMax is "Famous"

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats Brett!
punk.gif

The only V-Max I've ever ridden belonged to this lady I know from Augusta Georgia. She's arguably one of the most skilled riders I have ever met. A fulltimer, she's always got 2-4 bikes - right now she's got a 1200 Bandit, a older 750 Intercepter, an 80's Connie with a bazillion miles on it, and perhaps a 750 nighthawk. She's an excellent wrencher too, and does all of her own work.

Anyhoo, one day while touring in her neck of the woods, she says "Hey Pants, wanna ride Pinky?"

Picture a early 90's V-max painted hot pink. With rear sets, drag bars, a handful of unknown engine upgrades, and some kind of unbelievably loud aftermarket exhaust.

Oh what the hell. I'll try just about anything once.

I liken the experience to sitting on top of a Cruise Missle with some kind of special fuse routed to my right wrist. The rocket is laying horizontally. After one final check on the target WAY down the road, on my command (and hopefully I am ready for it), my right wrist lights the fuse and the missile and I go soaring down the pavement hoping that the war gods have chosen to keep the battlefield clear for the next 5-10 seconds. I find myself incredibly thankful that this missile comes with the optional seat that has a definite lower shelf which is tastefully designed to keep my fat ass from flying right off the back of this thing. I assume a condensation trail is following me diligently, but I don't dare take my eyes off the target for even a split second. The afterburners are fully lit and must be glowing red because there is this indescribable heat that I can feel in my groin area. The beast is howling a noise well above my ear plugs that I can only compare to some kind of beautiful pit stall symphony. Finally, the view ahead of me is slightly blurred as my helmet is vibrating profusely from the g-forces that I am experiencing.

Thankfully, the launch ends as planned and I am returned to a more civilized mode of transportation. You only live once, but in that particular case, once was definitely enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a V-Max but it was never a rock star like jbretthorton's. Your professional shots look, well, professional :) You can't help but smile when the V boost kicks in.

My old V-Max had relatively small carb bores which keeps port velocity high at low speed for very good low end torque. The problem with small bore carbs is the inability to flow well at high rpm. Yamaha solved that issue by putting a butterfly valve between carbs # 1 & #2 and another between carbs #3 & #4. At 5,750 rpm the butterflies start to open allowing the cylinders on the intake stroke to breath through TWO carbs. By 8,000 rpm the butterflies are fully open and your arms are separating from your shoulders. This is similar to a 4 bbl carb on old school cars, only done in a different way. The new school V-Max does a similar trick only it varies the length of the intake tract. A long intake tract makes good low rpm torque then shortening the tract from 150 mm to 52 mm promotes very good torque at high rpm. As long as you want to get from here to there in a straight line at high G loads, this is your machine!

Very very nice, congrats on the fame. The VM's are sweet, I really likey the Gen2's :)

I do an annual ride with about 70 VMax's in Johnstown PA in June. It's on my calendar again for next year!

20140627_103420_zpsdf0c7739.jpg

Thanks guys!

Yes mine is a 2010 Gen I I

While the first gens are fast, there is really no comparison between the two both in power, handling and braking. It does suck on mpg though!

I have run many 9.81's @ 140 ish

Plus she has over 30,000 miles as well! I ride my bikes like most of you guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
since its your bike you should be getting copies of those shots of your bike, maybe you can put them up on the forum here for us....

Congrats on the publishing of your speed demon !! Pretty cool....

Man - that thing is an ANIMAL!!! I'm with Ionbeam on this one. Going Straight? With plenty of room to stop? This is your ride.

Throw in a couple of curves and a forest rat of something else to get into your way? Uh.... no thank you.

It really is not as bad handling as you would think.

I have put a hurting on some sporties many times in the twisties.... BEFORE I LOWERED IT :)