The Isle of Wight (UK) + a Few Sights Enroute

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Euro-Feejer

Reaction score
It's one of those nearby places that we tend to put off visiting... Less than an hour drive to the ferry in Portsmouth. The weather has to be just right, especially to justify the quite pricey ferry (known as one of the most expensive stetches per mile... 34 pounds [$57] round-trip for a motorcycle and 2 people).

We were motivated by some new friends in our neighborhood. They had just bought a nice Kawasaki 800 cruiser, and were familiar with the island through business trips and visits with a powerboat they used to own. A month ago, they'd booked their ferry, but health and weather issues led them to postpone. Last Saturday was the deadline for using their ticket. The weather reports predicted it being near 20c (70f) and less than 5% chance of rain. So we went for it.

Here's the map of our route. We decided to avoid the eastern towns, mainly because there the holiday weekend included a big scooter rally, and most of their activities would be on the east. We still anticipated seeing groups of them all over the island. However, thankfully, we never were bogged down behind any throughout our route.

IOWMap_zps45d3ade9.jpg

As we headed toward the Portsmouth harbor, the morning was bright but cool (11c/52f). Always enjoy riding by the village of Arundel 15 minutes out, with its castle and cathedral (next two on-road photos courtesy of the little-lady pillion's phone camera)...

IMAG1452_zps7780a3fe.jpg

IMAG1453_zps5bccec6a.jpg

In good time for the 9am ferry (which allowed a slightly slower ride around the coast of Southsea/Portsmouth). My tourguide with his new Kawa in the photo...

SAM_9116_zpsf64b29bd.jpg

Another view while waiting to board the ferry...

SAM_9117_zps7f210ff8.jpg

As the boat headed out, we could see parts of the Portsmouth Historic Dockyard, with several old museum ships and some newer navy ships in the military facility beyond (last time we toured that dockyard, a US sub was parked nearby with added security, and we heard that it had to be towed in, since regulations don't allow the nuclear engines to run near port)...

SAM_9120_zps7e8f5622.jpg

Leaving port with a view of the Isle of Wight...

SAM_9121_zps1f3c0298.jpg

As the ferry was landing, a group of scooters prepped to head out in front of us (but they headed east soon in town, so we had some nice clear roads to start our day)...

SAM_9127_zpsf225d8f5.jpg

Fishbourne Marina and harbor (next to ferry landing on the Isle of Wight)...

SAM_9128IMAG1454_zps889548d7.jpg

Something the little lady felt like capturing on her phone as we rode through a town...

SAM_9128IMAG1457_zpsd85153da.jpg

Our first goal of the day was to see the Needles, a natural wonder on the SW tip of the island. The first view from the parking lot...

SAM_9129_zps9ea2c2fb.jpg

Chairlift down to the beach saved us 180 steps each way (would've done the hike if not in my boots)...

SAM_9132_zpsf7657dca.jpg

Zoomed in for a closer look at the Needles. Those ominous clouds teased us the next hour or so, but never gave us more than a couple drops of moisture...

SAM_9136_zpsce4ab585.jpg

The cliffs have so many color shades of sand...

SAM_9138_zpse7acb5bf.jpg

Riding on eastward we came across this thatched church in the village of Freshwater...

SAM_9140IMAG1458_zpse2053921.jpg

It was worth a short stop...

SAM_9141_zps7a54a047.jpg

A nest of Swallows(?) in the eaves of the church...

SAM_9144_zps4f63bd68.jpg

Sweeping views as we rode eastward along the south coast of the island...

SAM_9145IMAG1462_zps220304c2.jpg

SAM_9145IMAG1463_zps75f8e9b1.jpg

Zoomed in on more interesting rock formations...

SAM_9145_zpsb426d3da.jpg

Zoom out again for the foreground of scooters...

SAM_9146_zpsc9018305.jpg

Quick stop for a view looking back at the cliff-top roads we'd just ridden...

SAM_9148_zpsd35a121c.jpg

Lunch-stop in the town of Ventnor...

SAM_9150_zps7e4eea51.jpg

The nasty-looking clouds finally passed on, and the little lady (aka California girl) soaks up some sun...

SAM_9152_zpsd426615e.jpg

Heading inland on the way back (to avoid the scooter-mania further east)... The town of Godshill had a quaint collection of thatch-roofs...

SAM_9155IMAG1470_zpsaca80e5a.jpg

Walking around Godshill (next two photos)

SAM_9158_zps38ce2564.jpg

SAM_9159_zps30191155.jpg

Drove up to the church to get the "postcard photo"...

SAM_9162_zps966a1fff.jpg

And one with the machines...

SAM_9163_zps4a0091b3.jpg

Lower tide in the Fishbourne harbor as we waited to board the return ferry...

SAM_9165_zpsa96757f6.jpg

One last view as we floated back into Portsmouth...

SAM_9166_zps5e275222.jpg

It was a pleasant 134-mile day... comfortable temperatures, much less traffic than expected, beautiful scenery...

Thanks for posting, great photos. Reminds me of a similar trip with a couple of mates back in the 70's on my Honda F1.

We stayed in a caravan for a week.....can't remember where it was now, Gad, almost forty years ago!!!

Thanks for all those Nice Pics - brings back memories - Made the Usual Glass shape filled with the different colored sands from that cliff (pic 14) we stayed at pontins. The only "ryde" i got back then was in a donkey derby ! i was still only about 6 years old.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great pics Euro, thanks for sharing
smile.png
... One place I never visited when I lived over there, wish I had now.Bet it gets busy in tourist season.
We were pleasantly surprised how uncrowded the roads were, especially being mid-August AND a Monday-bank-holiday long weekend. There were a lot of people at the touristy fair facility near Needles, but we didn't see so many on the road.

Thanks for all those Nice Pics - brings back memories - Made the Usual Glass shape filled with the different colored sands from that cliff (pic 14) we stayed at pontins. The only "ryde" i got back then was in a donkey derby ! i was still only about 6 years old.
Was tempted by the glass-thingy with layers of colored sand... but didn't seem such a natural souvenir when you couldn't get it directly from nature (all in bins in a room). When the little lady picked up a few colored rocks down on the shore, we decided that was more of a natural souvenir.

Awesome sights! Thanks for sharing a place I didn't know existed and will probably never get to visit. Those thatched roofs are really a work of art to say the least.