2013 Trip meter reset

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim oneill

triplex
Reaction score
All of a sudden I'm not able to reset my trip counters and avg miles per gallon readouts? I'm pressing the reset button and nothing happens, no blinking and unable to reset, just started yesterday, its a 2013 with only 5 k miles on it so something is wrong. Any suggestions? thanks

This may sound pretty basic but it will only offer for reset those resettable counters in the current display. It appears you've had it for awhile so is it safe to assume you have the desired counters on the screen when you're attempting to do this?

No diag codes popping up?

Otherwise the first suspect would be a loose connection somewhere. Can you toggle TCS? Since that button is right next to the reset button it probably shares some connection stuff with the reset button. If under warranty and it isn't something simple you should probably bring it in.

You are sure you aren't in Time Trip by mistake (sorry, had to ask)? Your trip odometer is supposed to automatically reset after ~3 miles even if you don't manually reset it yourself. Does it?

You are sure you aren't in Time Trip by mistake (sorry, had to ask)? Your trip odometer is supposed to automatically reset after ~3 miles even if you don't manually reset it yourself. Does it?
The trip odometers do not automatically reset. It's the "miles on reserve" counter that automatically resets. One of my trip odometers I don't routinely reset. It currently reads about 3000 miles.

The trip odometers do not automatically reset. It's the "miles on reserve" counter that automatically resets...
D@mn, guess I'm still not ready to own a Gen III. Been diligently reading the owners manual and will be getting an ES service manual so I'm prepared when I DO get a Gen III
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pressing the reset button and nothing happens, no blinking and unable to reset, just started yesterday, its a 2013 with only 5 k miles on it so something is wrong. Any suggestions? thanks
I don't have a bunch of miles on my '14 yet, but I have noticed the button requires both a bit of effort and/or if you press to a certain level and don't press harder within a second or two....it's a bit inconsistent. I can't quantify it, but have you given it a solid sustained push?

I keep pushing it in random patterns until something happens. Kinds miss the genII display.

D@mn, guess I'm still not ready to own a Gen III. Been diligently reading the owners manual and will be getting an ES service manual so I'm prepared when I DO get a Gen III
smile.png
Keep talking like that and you'll have all the local dealers with an ES in stock inviting you out for beers (just 'cause you're a nice guy, of course).
winksmiley02.gif

The owners manual says... Push once to get it blinking

.... Push and hold for 2 seconds to reset

The first few times I couldn't get it to blink.... once that happens it should reset.

Thanks for the replies. I press the reset and hold it in pretty hard and still no blinking for reset. The TCM reset works fine. Guess I,ll have to take it in for warranty. And I always thought this shit only happened to Harleys

Guess I,ll have to take it in for warranty. And I always thought this shit only happened to Harleys
Shit happens to ALL motorcycles. It just happens less frequently to Yamahas than most other brands.

There's also still a chance a fresh set of hands will make it work....but if not you're at the place to get it resolved. If it's physically the buttons having contact issues...it's probably the whole cluster.

Thanks for the replies. I press the reset and hold it in pretty hard and still no blinking for reset. The TCM reset works fine. Guess I,ll have to take it in for warranty. And I always thought this shit only happened to Harleys
You do know it has to be pressed momentarily, not an extended time, to initiate the reset process. Holding it in gives me the exact symptom you describe.

^^^ What he said ^^^.

Just "boink" it quickly (technical term) and the first trip meter in the display will blink. Then push for two seconds to reset to zero.

Dan

You can reset it? Mine's never been reset. Seemed odd at first but with range to empty on the screen, it's not really that important.

You are doing it wrong. RichDoyle gave you the correct answer.

One short press to get it to flash, then hold for a couple of seconds till it resets. It will then go to the next re-setable screen and flash, hold button again and it will reset.

Latest posts