Bag Rash!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmgrif

Reaction score
Damn! Shit happens! Probably not the last time? Has anyone tried to repair minor damage such as this bag rash? Sometimes my American friends can access products not available here in Canada? Just wondering if there might be a home repair that others have done with reasonable success? Thanks

Rash1_zps1ff74dff.jpg

Order new rubber bumper or remove the bumper from the other side so they are symmetrical.

Sand. De-wax. Mask. Bondo. File, block sand, fine sand, sand again if necessary. Paint. Sand, fine sand, finer sand, polish. Clear coat. Fine sand, wicked fine sand, polish. Don't wax until hard dry. Some sanding may be eliminated depending on the quality of the finish.

--or--

Drill rivets that hold on the cover. Put in a box and mail to Garauld in NY. Get back a cover that looks like it never happened. Rivet. Done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Girard's work is fantastic and much more affordable that you think. My left side bag was way worse than that from my fall and he made it look absolutely brand new. 3 years and 45K miles later and not so much as a chip in the paint.

Before:

https://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af358/hppants/crash5.jpg

After:

https://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af358/hppants/saddlebagre-paint2.jpg

https://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af358/hppants/saddlebagre-paint3.jpg

(What's wrong with the "img" button thingie????)

I am aware of Garauld and have purchased items from him. I just think the cost of shipping could be quite expensive, especially since I have to post/ship out of Canada? I will check with Garauld for his cost and check for shipping cost as well! Thanks

Order new rubber bumper or remove the bumper from the other side so they are symmetrical.
Sand. De-wax. Mask. Bondo. File, block sand, fine sand, sand again if necessary. Paint. Sand, fine sand, finer sand, polish. Clear coat. Fine sand, wicked fine sand, polish. Don't wax until hard dry. Some sanding may be eliminated depending on the quality of the finish.

--or--

Drill rivets that hold on the cover. Put in a box and mail to Garauld in NY. Get back a cover that looks like it never happened. Rivet. Done.
I do have the rubber and it's not in too bad of shape.

Until 'pants [img ] button karma returns to him: <assist>

crash5.jpg

saddlebagre-paint2.jpg

saddlebagre-paint3.jpg

Through a series of miscues I rode off to work with my OEM trunk not locked to the base plate. I made 11 of the 12 miles with no issue, then one pot hole got to it and my trunk went skidding, bouncing and rolling down the road
bad.gif
Into a box, off to Garauld's miracle shop and within a few days it was back like it never happened. This is definitely your first best option if you can get the package across borders. Is shipping any better than post?

Here's the best thing for bag rash:

header.gif

OTOH, I'm not real sure what you can do for those scraped up panniers. Maybe a few coats of this stuff?

12222238.jpg

When I get home I will Google Bag Balm. I am scared to research this at work.

If you really are in a money saving, do it yourself mode you can order almost everything you need from ColorRite. I have the stuff but I know it would be best to just ship it to Garauld.

OK, I posted that suggestion at 2:05 PM EDT. I then decided to put my bag rash where my mouth is.

1 hour later... no more bag rash!

100_4604.jpg

100_4603.jpg

100_4605.jpg

Proof positive, Plasti-Dip works even faster than Bag Balm!

(they say it takes 4 hours to fully cure, but you get the picture)

edit - for those not familiar with Plasti-Dip, it is a spray on rubber coating, not paint. There is very minimal prep (just get the old surface clean) and although it won't last forever, it can also be peeled off pretty easily later on should you want to do a "correct" re-painting or re-do the Plasti-Dip.

I don't think you will be happy with the Plasti-dip. I have used it on a few things and it will peel off. After it does, I suggest using a good engine enamel from a rattle can.

Thanks. Yeah, I suspected is was pretty temporary, though my son did his Jeep's steel wheels with it and they have held up pretty well. Maybe where I only coated the bottoms it won't get knocked off so fast.

It will be up to the next owner to decide what he wants to do with them, and how much he can afford to spend. If it turns out to be my son, he may want to follow your advice and rattle can paint them permanently. Of course to do that will require more than about 15 minutes total prep time including taping. ;)

Geez Fred, you don't even have the ES yet and already your old steed has become a guinea pig. That was quick! Before you know it you'll be trying stem cell therapy on it so see if it can grow a new set of iridium plugs or something.
winksmiley02.gif

G-man,

You have not been paying attention. (no points off though) My '05 B4 has been a research vessel for the entire voyage (thus far). I'm always looking for "a better way" or the proverbial better mousetrap. I actually had been meaning to try the PlastiDip for some time now, but honestly... aesthetics do not mean all that much to me. But now when it comes nigh to part company, I suspect it may be of more import to the subsequent owner, even if that is to my own progeny. ;)

But, you are also astute in your observations, as I being so n'ere do well with appearances in the past is conflicting me with this "brand new bike" thing. I'm sure that I will be all over that once I flop the redhead down on each side a time or two, but I suppose that I'm also optimistic that I may have learned a thing or two over the prior 3-4 decades.

Don't you worry, my resolve is slightly harder than iridium, so I have no doubt that the new Ruby Rapture and I will get along just fine.

See you out on the road somewhere... I hope.

I'm sure that I will be all over that once I flop the redhead down on each side a time or two, but I suppose that I'm also optimistic that I may have learned a thing or two over the prior 3-4 decades.
See you out on the road somewhere... I hope.
I've got my fingers crossed that you'll do what I did with mine - drop it without doing any damage. It seems to be very cathartic (but wait 'til the sliders are on)!

Next time I'm in or around NH (okay, the first time I'm there) I'll watch for you and your big grin out on the road. And if you and your pillion ever want to check out the Canadian Rockies give me a shout.

Okay, back on topic...

I really appreciate all this dialogue! Sooner or later someone may have found a pretty good home repair? Garauld I know you do good work I have some of your items, I was just wondering if? No I'm not a painter but when I was a kid I couldn't phone home with a phone in my pocket either!

Ionbeam - thanks for the assistance with the picture posting.

To the OP - Girard will advise you to drill out the rivets to separate the rashed side from the rest of the case. This will greatly save you money on shipping (both ways). I already had a rivet gun so re-assembly was not a problem. If you do not (or do not have access to) a rivet gun, then I suppose your shipping savings will be returned to the tool man.

I do have a pop rivet gun! I will leave the bag on till my riding season ends in a couple of months. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

As long as we have solved the bag rash problem, anyone have a recommendation for the stator cover rash? Sadly, I don't think the Bag Balm will work for a generator cover.

Latest posts