San Diego to Potlatch ID via 395

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yroundrdn

Reaction score
Planning a trip to the in-laws in Potlatch ID. It's about 6 hrs north of Boise on the 95 or 1 hour south of Coeur d'Alene. Google option is up the 15 but no way. I was also was looking at picking up the 95 in NV but looks too much like desert. I'm not familiar with any of this area other than 395 from Reno south.

The plan is to take the 395 all the way through OR and work my way to the 95 via the 6. Here is the link to what I have drawn so far:

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?hl=en&authuser=0&mid=z5gU8kVrJASA.ksyUsZk_BmzU

The 395 just looked much more interesting than the 95. I cant really extend the trip too much more since this will be my wife's first extended trip. However, if anyone has any suggestions I would certainly be open to advice and ideas.

Thanks

The 395 just looked much more interesting than the 95. I cant really extend the trip too much more since this will be my wife's first extended trip. However, if anyone has any suggestions I would certainly be open to advice and ideas.
It's a good overall road that's fairly direct, overall very beautiful, and light years better than the slab....and I'd agree 95 has far less green stuff in it One possible detour if you're interested in seeing somethign a bit different is Gerlach, NV, Guru Lane, the Playa (where they're doing Burning Man this week), and the backroad to Cedarville. Dcarver recently posted about his pilgramage to this place. And this 200 mile chunk of the adventure is desert-y...but also lends itself to exploring the performance envelope of the FJR without excessive third parties interrupting the fun. All twistt and no straighty makes FJR a dull bike.

The Lakeview to Burns section is also a hoot.

A second possible detour would be to put Enterprise, OR and Lake Wallowa into the mix closer to the end. The chunk between Enterprise and Lewiston is an area even people that live in the region, like myself, know little about.

They don't add tons of miles to the overall trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
395 between Burns OR and Pendelton OR is pretty sweet, also the 60-70 miles North of Lakeview OR is nice with many fast sweepers and great sight lines for both traffic and the gendarme's. Would be excellent save for Oregon's ridiculous 55mph speed limit.

Festar and I didn't run afoul of any in our many Oregon miles in July but I know the Radar detector saved our bacon more than once.

The 95 from Weiser ID to Grangeville ID is an awesome stretch of road. Following the Salmon River through Riggins is pretty incredible, as that is a really deep narrow canyon and the road's at the bottom. Then there's Whitebird pass, and the Spiral Highway north out of Lewiston....

Ignacio & Big John, I will definitely enjoy those legs of the trip and that lake looks beautiful. Problem is I don't think I can make that detour this ride. Speed runs will be out given my bride on the back but... going home alone. Bummer about the 55 MPH, forgot about that stuff. No radar detector but I'll watch it.

Spud... I just checked that out via google earth, planning to take that road back.

thanks for the input guys. Any thoughts on rain????

Any thoughts on rain????
Huh? The journey spans most of the west coast from near sea level, over mountains, through deserts, and just about every type of habitat and microclimate. You don't specify a time, but if in the next few days I'd suggest looking at weather.com. If in October....check the website again and rain in the form of snow might be an issue.

You'll enjoy the ride along the Salmon River. That canyon makes you feel very, very small, and the road doesn't have a straight part in it for many miles.

When we went down to Sparks this summer we rode from Lewiston down 95 to McCall. Then detoured down I think 55 to Ontario, beautiful scenic drive. Then 20 over to Burns, a great ride some mountains and farmland. Then followed 395 through Lakeview to Sparks. Wanted to do the north Idaho, but was looking for a more scenic ride than through Nevada. Great roads and scenery, hopefully it'll be cooler for you this time of year.

I left Redding California and headed north west on 299. That was a good road surface with lots of good corners scenery and not too much construction. HOWEVER, 395 was not a favorite. It was very desolate and Goose Lake is not a lake. It is a salt flat. It was horribly hot and lonely. Since you are 2 up, you may find it more to your liking. Pay attention to the Fuel Gauge out there. I recall there being only one, maybe 2 fuel stops from Altruas to Burns.

I know you are kinda locked into this route, so make the best of it.

I did get to meet IGGY out there at a Subway. Just a happens chance meeting in Burns. He was out on a Dirt Ride. Meeting him was the highlight of the day. (must have been a really boring day)

Depending on your schedule, I'd also suggest a detour to Virginia City, NV. It's a bit of a tourist trap, but the road up and down was fun.

"minor suggestion on the north end, where I live and ride.

last night before Potlatch would be John Day, OR" UHOH, thanks for the suggestion. I like that route and it will allow me to take the 82 to the 3 which looked like a very cool Mtn pass to wander through. Making the changes, last night in John Day OR.

Virginia City looks fun. Thanks for the tip on that. Guess there is no way to avoid all the desert but some great suggestions thus far. thanks guys. Want to keep the wife happy on this one so we can have more in the future.

wanted to thank you all for the advise. 3 days and counting...

We are really looking forward to the adventure.