Tire Valve Stem Replacement Intervals

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanker

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
For those of you that mount your own tires, how often do you replace the valve stems in your rims?

Please state whether you are referring to rubber or metal bolt-in versions.

I just purchased a tire changer and Russ' balancer and will be changing out tires soon.

Thanks in advance for your input.

I'm pushing my luck but I still have the original rubber stems on my '07 with 120,000 miles+. Keep telling myself I'm going to change them but never seem to get around to it. I do make sure there is no evidence of rubber deterioration on the stems when I change tires.

Last edited by a moderator:
For those of you that mount your own tires, how often do you replace the valve stems in your rims?
When they need to be replaced...which is "not yet" in my cases with the 90 degree stems. One the threads on the cap are wearing down, but the business part doesn't seem to be a wear item.

For rubber ones, I'd change immediately to the 90 degree stems.

Rubber stems are cheap and nasty and if you use them should be replaced at the next tire change for metal stems.

If metal stems are fitted correctly they seem to pretty much go on forever.

I'm using stock rubber valve stems. I replace them once per year. Surely overkill but it is cheap insurance. I put ~12k-14k miles per year on the bike. Environment and sun exposure will have a big impact on lifetime

I changed my OEM ones out at about 50k miles for short metal ones I got from kurvygirl. I expect them to last the life of the machine.

Thanks for the quick responses.

Since Ross has 120k on his original rubber versions, I guess I wouldn't necessarily need to change mine out on the 14' at the first change, but with my luck sometimes.....

For those of you using metal stems, do you have any favorites?

Matt, what 90 degree stems do you use?

I have been looking to upgrade my Zumo 550 to the new 590 with tire pressure monitors. This might be a good time to upgrade the stems for the upcoming monitors. Hmmm.....

I would never recommend anyone trying to go as long as I have without changing rubber stems but I certainly wouldn't sweat a year or two.

I change them every time on customer machines cause I don't want problems. On my own stuff I use the good metal ones from Bike Effects.

I your bike is kept inside like mine, then never seems to work for me. I have never changed the stems and they never leak. I look them over for cracks, and they look great. Ymmv.

These Hawkshead "T" valves look to be a good option, if I plan on getting the pressure monitors for the 590LM for next riding season.
https://www.tpms.ca/T-VALVES,-VALVES-TPMS-ADAPTERS.html
I have those on my bike right now. Using them with my Zumo390 TPMS and they work well. Be aware that they are a bit heavier and the sensor adds more weight. I ended up with 3 oz on the front wheel and 1.5 on the rear. Bike feels fine and adding air and seeing the 390 display change is great. It also makes it very easy to compare your pressure gauge to the TPMS.

My take...

If the rubber stem is working and you change it every tire, it just seems to me that you are adding a possible (new) failure point.

On each of my (tubeless) bikes I change the valve stem once. I install the Ariete 90 degree valve stems and they seem to last the life of the bike. These are what Bike Effects sells, and I have bought some from him when I was buying other parts, but a savvy buyer may be able to find them for less cha-ching.