Fueling up

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nhlakerider

Reaction score
On my way home yesterday the low fuel light came on, I passed a few gas stations but did not stop.

So I gave my self a good reason to go out tonight far another ride. Always looking for a excuse to go for a not so quick ride. I'm sure everybody's done something like it.

I think it's kind of a slick feature that it tells you how many miles you've gone since the light came on. I don't like to push it, but I've been in some places where I've had to ride 40 miles to find a gas station!

I've gone 58 miles with the light on. I think I only had a half a gallon left upon filling up.
What light?

I have managed (not intentionally) to do 70 miles on the count-up odometer. Seems to me I still had a half gallon or so left. Once I realized I was low on fuel and it would be awhile before I could get some, I started riding pretty conservatively.

I start to worry when I get past the 30 mile mark, but I have been or 50 miles and not run dry. I don't think the fuel gauge is built to such tight tolerances that we all have the same amount of fuel left when it switches over to 'reserve', but it is quite a bit.

I start to worry when I get past the 30 mile mark, but I have been or 50 miles and not run dry. I don't think the fuel gauge is built to such tight tolerances that we all have the same amount of fuel left when it switches over to 'reserve', but it is quite a bit.
Although the posts in this thread are consistent with my experience too.

One thing to caution ... If you remove the fuel pump assembly for any reason, and bend the float arm even a tiny bit, the readings will change.

My personal best is 76 miles after the low fuel counter started. I put in 6.3 gallons that day.

Yup - safely I do 60...... seeing as I drive like a douchebag and am heavy on the twisty go fast thing....

When the light comes on, Lucille seems to have about 1.5 gallons left in her tank.

Years ago I got into the habit of stopping for fuel before coming home -- so I have to find a different excuse to ride.

This morning it's "Red Cross appointment"....

I just love this rocket science stuff
wink.png

The owners manual says:

Fuel reserve amount:
5.5 L (1.45 US gal) (1.21 Imp.ga)
So on or about the time your FJR has consumed 5.15 gallons it switches to the count-up mode. Recently I have been getting ~36 mpg. Pulling out my sharp #2 yellow to perform some advanced math I see that 1.45 gallons at 36 mpg = 52.2 miles until flame-out. For my riding style I should start to seriously look for gas at around 30 miles and start to worry at 45 miles. (Based on New England gas station availability.)

The owners manual also gives a graphic picture of the gas tank that is see-through to illustrate how much gas it takes to fill the tank. The graphic clearly shows that FULL is when gas touches the bottom of the fuel tank filler tube. Always filling to this point will give you consistent volume in the tank and fairly predictable range.

NHLAKERIDER will discover that needing to get gas as an excuse to ride is actually backwards. The real problem is when the gas tank is full and the gas automatically starts to deteriorate. It is critical to use up the gas as soon as possible so it doesn't go stale
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator: