Top Case and Mount Options on 2013

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redir RJF

Reaction score
I have done a search and read several posts on top boxes and mounting. From what I can tell it appears the subframe and stock rack are insufficient ... Is this the general consensus?

Givi seems to be the top choice and I am considering the 46 and the 55. What would be the pros and cons of these 2 sizes.

I am coming off of an r1200rt with 90,000 hard touring miles which I still have. After visually comparing the two racks, I had to chuckle looking at the FJR as it looked like a cheap toy compared to the bmw.

For the more adventuresome touring folks I would like to get some advice on rack/top box setup.

Many thanks in advance.

I have done a search and read several posts on top boxes and mounting. From what I can tell it appears the subframe and stock rack are insufficient ... Is this the general consensus?
If you read all those posts then you will see that there isn't consensus on this point. I think it's most summarized as: You want to be anal about it, beef it up. You want to take a chance the stock rack holds most loads, it probably will. You want a guarantee it won't break, there is none.

Last edited by a moderator:
What Iggy is saying is you want to invest in a Givi SR357 rack or a Gerauld stiffy kit. Then you don't have to worry about the subframe.

I mounted a Shad SH50 50 liter ox to the givi rack.

What does being anal have to do with a potential defect or flaw?
It's meant to illustrate a boundary range with literary flourish.
smile.png

Where do you get defect or flaw? I don't remember ever reading about a subframe failing when people follow the manufacturers load specs...however low they are. However, I have read some cases of failure when people did overload....including myself.

Rode for many thousands of miles (including into BC & Yukon) with an OEM trunk and mounting plate. Didn't overload it and never had an issue.

The current FJR, has a Givi SR357 and V46 and couldn't be happier. More two-up touring means more weight to tote around...

YMMV

--G

I am coming off of an r1200rt with 90,000 hard touring miles which I still have. After visually comparing the two racks, I had to chuckle looking at the FJR as it looked like a cheap toy compared to the bmw.
Stopped by my local Bimmer dealer the other day...I had to chuckle looking at all the new RTs parked out back with their rear suspensions torn apart.

Yet I STILL want a wasserboxer!!! God help me!

But to the original topic, the Givi 357 rack seems to be the cat's meow for long-term, trouble-free top-box mounting, regardless of box brand.

I have ordered the givi 47, 357 mount and a backrest. Will report back once they come in and are installed.

Thanks all!

By backrest, do you mean the pad that goes on the Givi 47? If so, I would ride some miles with your passenger before you mount the backrest. Many here have found that it pushes the passenger to far forward.

Agree on the pad, the guy said if my wife didn't like it, I could return for a credit.

Thanks for the heads up!

Made a plate that pushed my Givi back the thickness of the back rest pad. Wifde likes just fine now...... she hated it before.